How much per week for a builder & his mate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
Anybody got recent experience of what it costs to hire a builder?

A friend recently redid a 1 bedroom flat in S. London. On an in law's recommendation he hired a Yorkshire based builder & his mate. Victorian house split into flats, nothing architecturally special or unusual.

He was paying £2000 cash per week for the pair of them.

Does he need his head examined (my theory) or is that the really going rate for a builder & his mate, Yorkshire based or otherwise?

How many days/hours a week did they work and were they stopping in a hotel?

No idea about London rates but £2000 per week divide between 2 people assume a 50 hour week equates to £20 per hour or lower rate if more hours worked?

They were staying at his place about 35 miles / 1 hour + from the flat for free with at least dinner thrown in. They worked Monday - Friday & tended to bugger off back home early Friday afternoon to beat the rush hour traffic.

Specifics of this case aside, I'm trying to find out what it costs to hire a builder + mate for a normal house fix up for a normal M-F working week.

In my ex line of work, allied to the building trade, 2 men plus van and tools would be charged at £250/man/day. If working away and overnight accommodation was required, that came out of the £250, so £2000 per week for 2 men seems about right to me, bear in mind that income would be subject to tax and NIC.

Neither really. Thanks.

a good price work new build plasterer can earn 2k+ a week along with plumbers and sparks
your mate got a good deal.was he happy with the work?

Didn't he do his research before employing the builder to do the job?

£2000 a week for a builder + 1 while working away sounds about right, maybe on the low side.

I am a builder.Locally for domestic work I avg 150 a day for days worked.Not put a full year together for the last 4 years and a bit more for commercial.If I was offered it I would take the deal I think its a great deal for the Builders.
I guess it was cheaper than local lads.

It wasn't a question of being cheaper than local boys, the builder was a mate of his BiL & came v. highly recommended.

Was he happy with the work?

The work they did was OK but he was unhappy with the way they dragged their feet to prolong the job as long as possible, didn't do some of the stuff they were meant to, took the piss with their hours & wasted a lot of time. They didn't have another job to go to.

Where are you based McFasty?

Last edited:
West yorks.
you have answered your own question,the didn't rush as it was lucrative and I think your friend a bit generous perhaps not one to upset the apple cart?
for yourself I would make a specific list,get quotes that have no ambiquity and itemise works and monitor the ongoing works.Its a notorious industry so structure payment plan to leave last payment for a period after completion to allow a comprehensive ongoing examination of the final product.
For High value works I like to leave 7.5/10% for 30 days from completion but negotiate regular and frequent interim payments to maintain cashflow.

The work they did was OK but he was unhappy with the way they dragged their feet to prolong the job as long as possible, didn't do some of the stuff they were meant to, took the piss with their hours & wasted a lot of time. They didn't have another job to go to.
You've made your mind up already so why are you asking if his weekly wage was ok?

To say 'I told you so' to your friend?

Each time I try to find a tradesman I'm surprised by how expensive they are. From my experience good guys cost ~£200/day. Everyone tells me I pay too much, but I never get the phone numbers of any cheaper & better people.

Sounds about right to be honest. Even the Polish builders round here seem to have upped their rates to around £150 a day...

Each time I try to find a tradesman I'm surprised by how expensive they are. From my experience good guys cost ~£200/day. Everyone tells me I pay too much, but I never get the phone numbers of any cheaper & better people.

This is not any way ment to be antagonistic.

How much do you think a skilled tradesman should earn?

£200 a day £1000 a week,maybe 48 weeks worked a year.so 48k gross.
No holiday,sick or bank holiday money,no pension scheme etc.
Runnng a van and power tools is a small fortune,all the unpaid hours paperwork,site visits and quotes occasional bad debters and personally I seem to be permenently owed 15k

On top of this we have dentist,doctoer and pick the kids up from school along with the weater that make up a 101 reasons to be not earning.
Being a successful small builder is a living not retiring to the carribean at those figures.Personally I think its low for whats expected but that's what it is.
I know it changes when you need to pay somebody but what would you do the job for?

Depends what you want them to do I guess.

Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom