How-to: Change W124 Temperature dial bulbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vincenz

Car
W209 CLK 200K Coupe
One of the temperature dial bulbs on my W124 had failed when I bought it, and as I couldn't find a how-to on changing them I thought I would knock one up.

Tools required:
Phillips Screw Driver
Flat Head Screw driver
Adjustable spanner
Replacement bulb (s) (12V 0.4W)

1. With the pliers remove the two directional dials to reveal the bolts below them, remove these with the adjustable spanner and also your stereo will also need to come out.

2. With the phillips screwdriver remove the two screws located where stereo sits

3. With the bolts removed, gently grab the trim at the bottom (where stereo is located) and lift upwards, then pull out forwards

4. The dial moulding are now revealed, all four phillips screws need to be removed

5. Now the heater moulding can be manipulated, with a flat head screwdriver gently prise the perspex octagon up

6. The bulb is revealed

Once this has been changed it is simply a case of re-assembling everything:

7. Clip perspex octagon back in place (it only fits one way), making sure white tape covers up bulb
8. Replace all four phillips screws in heater moulding
9.Place trim back on (N.B. push top in first (below the vents) then push down to ensure correct fit)
10. Replace screws in bottom of pannel and two bolts beneath directional dials
11. Fit stereo
12. Push directional dials back in place

Nice write up deffo one for the 'HOWTO' section.

Brilliant timing, just picked up some new bulbs on Saturday.

BUT on your picture number 2 where it says remove the stereo and then the two bolts, i did but i don't have two bolts?

I was quite impressed with myself to get that far to be thwarted by not having two bolts when there were supposed to be two (plus i was due to start work...).

Any thoughts anyone?

BUT on your picture number 2 where it says remove the stereo and then the two bolts, i did but i don't have two bolts?

I was quite impressed with myself to get that far to be thwarted by not having two bolts when there were supposed to be two (plus i was due to start work...).

Any thoughts anyone?

Dunno but could be the two nuts that go on the two control shafts????

Any thoughts anyone?

You will have two screws at the very base of the facia just above the stereo on either side of the overhang. ((look upwards from the ash tray)

(You shouldnt need to remove the stereo at all BTW)

Any thoughts anyone?

Sorry the picture is misleading, I photographed everything as I was re-assembling it, I should really crop the top of that pic, but yes the nuts under the dials do need removing.

Hi,
Do these bulbs also illuminate the two Temp. wheels too? or are these different lamps?

Thanks everyone. All i needed to do was remove the stereo, there wasn't two screws at the bottom, so just the bolts behind the main controls and then off it popped. I then replace the bulb behind the RHS heater control plus on each of the dials there were bulbs that weren't working and now it's lovely and lit up :cool: aaaaaah.

It looks like the RHS is now brighter than the LHS heater control which bugged me on the way home last night, so i'll replace the bulb in that soon too but need to get some more now for the vents then all will be tickety-boo.:D

Hi,
Do these bulbs also illuminate the two Temp. wheels too? or are these different lamps?

Theres 4 bulbs in total.

The 2 which sit in the centre of the nuts (seen in pics 1 and 3) which illuminate the directional dials (for air direction and fan speed)

Then 2 that sit behind the temp wheels which are shown in pic 6.

The bulbs are all 12V 0.4W

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom