• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

How/when did you meet your better half?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 113659
  • Start date Start date
That reunion is going to be amazing. Save your strength for it. :)

I know all too well the heartache of being separated - absence definitely makes the heart grow stronger. Two days after getting engaged in Mongolia 23 years ago I had to go to Vanuatu in the South Pacific for a 4 week contract. This was long before mobile phones and there was no telecoms link between the two countries. But who you know counts for a lot and my work was with Vanuatu Telecom - they kindly set up the very first link via Hong Kong. It meant a few chats with various international operators en route, but every day we managed to chat :)

Dd you get the deal in Mongolia as well as the girl? :)

Met my 1st wife 41 years ago working together at a local Working Mans Club. I was on duty and she was a customer one night when the legendary Bobby Thompson was the turn and she plucked up enough alcohol fuelled courage to ask me out. Been married 39 years this year and wouldn’t change a thing

I was told you had crawled out from under your rock.

Once again you add nothing and once again you can only try (and fail) to denigrate with your pathetic attempt at humour.

I have been involved in removing more worthwhile things than you at circumcisions.
How bizarre.

Who is this stool pigeon of yours?

You posted a sickly sweet description of yourself and SPX and I made the same point, you toadied up to him and had a weird pop at me, you seem to be letting your prejudices cloud your judgement fella.

Your involvement in circumcisions takes your weirdness to a whole new level.

There's no way that you are going on my ignore list, I can't wait to see what you come out with next.

Thanks for all the replies, I've enjoyed reading them all. :thumb:

I met my wife at secondary school when we were both 11 years old. We became friends instantly because we had so much in common. we started 'dating' at 12 and started seeing each other regularly out of school. I was the class clown, she was very prim and proper (went on to be Head Girl), to the extent that when it was common knowledge that we were an item, she was summoned to the staff room for a lecture on her taste in boys! (I wasn't a bad lad, just a chatterbox) We went on to be joined at the hip and seen each other virtually every night and weekend.

When she was 14 she fell ill with M.E. which meant she unfortunately missed a fair bit of school. She never missed any work because I'd take it home for her. On leaving school she passed all her GCSE's (6 A's & 2 B's) despite her health worsening as time went on. I left school with zero qualifications but soon landed an apprenticeship for Redrow Homes. Unfortunately She was never really well enough to attain a job or career.

Fast forward a few years and we bought our first house when we were 18 and spent 2 years renovating it whilst both living at home. We got married at 20 and moved into our perfect little terraced house. By this time she'd unfortunately added Endometriosis to her list of health issues. We tried for kids (always a dream for both of us.) for many years but at the age of 30 we admitted it wasn't to be and she was booked in for a full Hysterectomy (the only cure for her extreme Endo pain) at St. Mary's, Manchester, the idea being that as soon as she'd recovered we could look into adoption. We got the date through for 6th January (date is imprinted in my mind). On 19th December (her birthday) we found out that Debbie was pregnant. Strangest feeling ever considering that we'd been told she would never conceive, and, if she did then she'd more than likely loose the baby. With these thoughts we found it hard to celebrate the news.

The Doc's really looked after us with very regular scans & appointments and nine months later Deb gave birth to our little miracle girl. Although it was a traumatic birth with a fair few complications mother and baby were both well.

A year later we moved up to Scotland to get out of The Rat Race and live in a nicer area. Two years later Deb had the all important hysterectomy to relieve her of the Endo pain. Our daughter is now 14 and very fit and healthy (also a black Belt in Kung Fu :) ). Unfortunately things for Deb have worsened year on year and she is disabled and housebound with many more ailments than I care to list. (Fibromyalgia being one of them). Despite all this, she's always smiling, NEVER complains, so empathetic and caring towards everyone around her. We seem to spend much of our time laughing at the most serious aspects of her illnesses and life. Her words: 'Laughter, the best medicine'. She's the best mother our daughter could ever wish for, and not only my wife, but my best friend in the world. I'm so very proud that we've only ever had each other, a rare claim.

I'm loving every minute and day of this lockdown as I'm stuck home with my most amazing girls.

P.S. yesterday was our 30th Anniversary of the day our relationship was 'official'.

Our story is no big deal, I assume that everyone of you have much more to tell than you have. I guess 'That's Life', everyones got a story. I love hearing about people, not in a nosey way. So, for those of you that are prepared to share more, please go on, ignore the "stiff upper lip's" out there. Post away.

Ant.

Last edited by a moderator:

I met my wife at secondary school when we were both 11 years old. We became friends instantly because we had so much in common. we started 'dating' at 12 and started seeing each other regally out of school. I was the class clown, she was very prim and proper (went on to be Head Girl), to the extent that when it was common knowledge that we were an item, she was summoned to the staff room for a lecture on her taste in boys! (I wasn't a bad lad, just a chatterbox) We went on to be joined at the hip and seen each other virtually every night and weekend.

When she was 14 she fell ill with M.E. which meant she unfortunately missed a fair bit of school. She never missed any work because I'd take it home for her. On leaving school she passed all her GCSE's (6 A's & 2 B's) despite her health worsening as time went on. I left school with zero qualifications but soon landed an apprenticeship for Redrow Homes. Unfortunately She was never really well enough to attain a job or career.

Fast forward a few years and we bought our first house when we were 18 and spent 2 years renovating it whilst both living at home. We got married at 20 and moved into our perfect little terraced house. By this time she'd unfortunately added Endometriosis to her list of health issues. We tried for kids (always a dream for both of us.) for many years but at the age of 30 we admitted it wasn't to be and she was booked in for a full Hysterectomy (the only cure for her extreme Endo pain) at St. Mary's, Manchester, the idea being that as soon as she'd recovered we could look into adoption. We got the date through for 6th January (date is imprinted in my mind). On 19th December (her birthday) we found out that Debbie was pregnant. Strangest feeling ever considering that we'd been told she would never conceive, and, if she did then she'd more than likely loose the baby. With these thoughts we found it hard to celebrate the news.

The Doc's really looked after us with very regular scans & appointments and nine months later Deb gave birth to our little miracle girl. Although it was a traumatic birth with a fair few complications mother and baby were both well.

A year later we moved up to Scotland to get out of The Rat Race and live in a nicer area. Two years later Deb had the all important hysterectomy to relieve her of the Endo pain. Our daughter is now 14 and very fit and healthy (also a black Belt in Kung Fu :) ). Unfortunately things for Deb have worsened year on year and she is disabled and housebound with many more ailments than I care to list. (Fibromyalgia being one of them). Despite all this, she's always smiling, NEVER complains, so empathetic and caring towards everyone around her. We seem to spend much of our time laughing at the most serious aspects of her illnesses and life. Her word: 'Laughter, the best medicine'. She's the best mother our daughter could ever wish for, and not only my wife, but my best friend in the world. I'm so very proud that we've only ever had each other, a rare claim.

I'm loving every minute and day of this lockdown as I'm stuck home with my most amazing girls.

P.S. yesterday was our 30th Anniversary of the day our relationship was 'official'.

Our story is no big deal, I assume that everyone of you have much more to tell than you have. I guess 'That's Life', everyones got a story. I love hearing about people, not in a nosey way. So, for those of you that are prepared to share more, please go on, ignore the stiff upper lip's out there. Post away.

Ant.
I’m not sure if it’s the onions I was chopping for dinner or a bit of dust that’s blown into my eyes, but purely coincidentally they started watering while I read your fabulous story. What an amazing couple you are. Why the f the rest of us complain about things I don’t know. Stay happy.

My first wife was the receptionist at my opticians. Should've gone to Specsavers.
My first wife was a dental surgery assistant. I should have had my teeth taken out as a child.

Blimey, that was like watching DIY SOS condensed into a minutes reading. Thank you for sharing

I met my wife at secondary school when we were both 11 years old. We became friends instantly because we had so much in common. we started 'dating' at 12 and started seeing each other regularly out of school. I was the class clown, she was very prim and proper (went on to be Head Girl), to the extent that when it was common knowledge that we were an item, she was summoned to the staff room for a lecture on her taste in boys! (I wasn't a bad lad, just a chatterbox) We went on to be joined at the hip and seen each other virtually every night and weekend.

A year later we moved up to Scotland to get out of The Rat Race and live in a nicer area. Two years later Deb had the all important hysterectomy to relieve her of the Endo pain. Our daughter is now 14 and very fit and healthy (also a black Belt in Kung Fu :) ). Unfortunately things for Deb have worsened year on year and she is disabled and housebound with many more ailments than I care to list. (Fibromyalgia being one of them). Despite all this, she's always smiling, NEVER complains, so empathetic and caring towards everyone around her. We seem to spend much of our time laughing at the most serious aspects of her illnesses and life. Her words: 'Laughter, the best medicine'. She's the best mother our daughter could ever wish for, and not only my wife, but my best friend in the world. I'm so very proud that we've only ever had each other, a rare claim.

Our story is no big deal, I assume that everyone of you have much more to tell than you have. I guess 'That's Life', everyones got a story. I love hearing about people, not in a nosey way. So, for those of you that are prepared to share more, please go on, ignore the "stiff upper lip's" out there. Post away.

Ant.

Ant.

Ant,

What a moving post.
Many thanks for sharing.

All the best to you and the girls.

Paul.

I met my wife of 7 months 10 years ago at work, I had been on my own for 8 years since my 1st marriage of 12 years had hit the rocks, took some getting used too as all I’d done in the 8 years was ride my motorbikes and drive my cars, lads weekends away and touring hols on our motorbikes . But took the plunge last September and it’s been great

How bizarre.

Who is this stool pigeon of yours?

You posted a sickly sweet description of yourself and SPX and I made the same point, you toadied up to him and had a weird pop at me, you seem to be letting your prejudices cloud your judgement fella.

Your involvement in circumcisions takes your weirdness to a whole new level.

There's no way that you are going on my ignore list, I can't wait to see what you come out with next.

Your own weird interpretation of posts is becoming ever more more warped, try thinking before typing . Also try taking a look at the number of likes your posts receive when you launch your stupid little remarks.....I am sure you have a little collection of fanboys though so worry not, someone likes you :)

As for prejudice: There is more than enough evidence on here with your posting history of sarcasm, low wit,of snide remarks rather than useful and relevant posts although you do sometimes surprise with cogent and well reasoned arguments but your main style is the attempt to belittle etc

I have had a significant number of replies from members on here (not "Stool pigeons as you pathetically try to label them) who think you are an arrogant ,self centered oik who is certainly on "the spectrum", comments such such as "He (that is you for clarity) does not seem to grasp normal social norms, or " has a most unpleasant and acerbic manner" are two of the ones suitable for the Forum, others are more direct and describe you using a colloquial term used to describe a part of the female anatomy .

It is clear from your constant desire to attempt to deride, belittle etc that you have significant issues with self worth that are seemingly only mollified when you are attacking others form the safety of your own keyboard. Calling my post "sickly sweet" only shows you up even more especially as it involved a reference to losing my first wife to cancer (and, as an aside very nearly losing my current wife to cancer also) but these things are so easily glossed over in the small minded world you seem to live in where you only seem interested in trying to stir up thongs for your own amusement

In terms of SPX (Lee) he is a decent, well mannered, good humoured and intelligent member of the Forum whose posts add greatly to the overall content on a very wide range of subjects so your reference here is both inaccurate and unfounded as well as pointless.

I have shown many of your posts to my wife (A PhD Psychologist) and she is quite serious in thinking that you have a significant personality disorder and you deal with it by your use of the internet as is becoming increasingly common because there are few to no direct consequences.

I have spent enough time on someone who ultimately is completely inconsequential, you are prime example of a Merchant Banker to use the rhyming slang, it is a great pity your father did not pursue a similar course. :)

Take care now!

DSM100000 & DrFeelgood.

I'm getting sick of both of your bickering (I'm sure alot of other people are also judging by the number of times its flagged up to me) Its been going on for months and I've tried not getting involved. - I don't care who said this, who said that anymore. Your both as bad as each other!

Cut it out please otherwise you will both end up on forum Self Isolation for a period of time. :ban:

Ant.
Ant, a wonderful story. I’ve said it many times before and I’ll say it again, you’re very lucky to live a life which so many would wish for. I’m sure Deb is indeed the best Mother your daughter could wish for, and I reckon you’re a pretty good Dad too.

I hope this health crisis helps more people to realise that the only things that matter are the boney fleshy things that we take for granted too easily - you’re one of the few people I know who already get it. :thumb:

I was previously married at 20 to a girl I met at college. Started in a terraced house which we did up and moved on to a bungalow which we did up & moved on again to another which again was renovated.
Tried for babies unsuccessfully. Both had tests. Nothing wrong with either of us:dk:.
Drifted apart - I wanted to be settled & she wanted to recover her yoof & get out on the town with her work mates.
I met the current wife at work and “separation” followed even though we continued to live in the same house until it sold 6 months later.
Wife, who couldn’t get pregnant by me promptly got pregnant elsewhere which kerbed her new found nightlife!
Divorced & then married the girl from work.
2 children, 1 a year after marrying and the other 18 months later.
Just had 30th wedding anniversary 3.5 months ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom