I think I want a CLK430.... help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andre

Car
W204 C63 Coupe
Hi All,

I am new to this forum, though familier with similar forums for other nice German cars!

After much thought I have realised that I need a larger more comfortable car (I currently drive an old 911). Two small children and the occasional school run being the catalyst for this.

It strikes me that an early (98 - 02?) CLK will be the ideal car for me. I like the styling, the big boot, Mercedes name/quality? etc etc.. and having been used to a string of powerful cars the 430 would be my ideal choice.

So any advice woiuld be welcomed including comparisons with the CLK 320.

Ive driven a four cylinder CLK and though very nice its the larger engined cars I am interested in.

Thanks in advance.

Andre

Welcome andre. Whats the budget? The obvious choice if your thinking of a 430 could be a 55 amg.

Hi and thanks for the welcome.

My budget is 5K and I dont really want a car with stellar miles, so had ruled out a 55AMG - I would love a 55 amg!

Check the car for rust everywhere, especially around the wheel arches, bootlid and door sills.

The e430 and e55 both have similiar engine 113 and they are pretty tough, if you do a google for engine probs 113 or 430 or e55 you wont find much:).

As said i would say biggest concern has got to be the rust:eek:.

Pm Howard as he has 2 off these cars and will be able to tell you exactly what to look for.

Just a thought as these are only 2 door cars why not get an e class and for your money you can have a n AMG one.

Lynall

Last edited:
On a side note, which 911 have you got?

Please tell me a mint black on black 3.2 (G50) coupe with a service history to die for...

The e430 and e55 both have similiar engine 113 and they are pretty tough, if you do a google for engine probs 113 or 430 or e55 you wont find much:).

As said i would say biggest concern has got to be the rust:eek:.

Pm Howard as he has 2 off these cars and will be able to tell you exactly what to look for.

Just a thought as these are only 2 door cars why not get an e class and for your money you can have a n AMG one.

Lynall

OK so rust is the enemy here, thought these cars had a 30year rust warranty ?! Engines all good - great news.

Had thought about an E Class but that may be too bigger step from a string of sports cars ...

Been checking out Howards posts, interesting stuff, thanks for the tips.

Andre

On a side note, which 911 have you got?

Please tell me a mint black on black 3.2 (G50) coupe with a service history to die for...

It is a mint G50 3.2, but GP White with black.... not exactly original (lots of bits removed to save weight, Mod Exhaust and chipped) Not stripped to the bone or with hardcore suspension though as its my daily driver.

E55 AMG 101000 miles 3.5k here 1999 MERCEDES BENZ E55 AMG SILVER on eBay (end time 20-Jul-09 20:54:05 BST)

Sorn at present so prob take an offer, looks fairly good nick as well.

Cheapest CLK55 is £7995 not sure on year.

Nice clk430 MERCEDES CLK430 AVANTGARDE AUTO SILVER on eBay (end time 14-Aug-09 01:12:43 BST)

Lynall

Ok so that E55 looks tempting!

Whats the general concensus regarding cars in my price bracket IRO service history. Should I be insisting on a car with MB history or is it acceptable for a more recent history with an independant? Should/is this reflected in the price at this level or - as my instinct tells me - its all about the condition of the car, looking out for the rust issues...

Historically I have always bought low mileage cars, but is 90K on one of these Ok? (especially as I will only be putting 2 - 3K on each year).

Thanks to everyone for their help here.

Andre

Just about every E class (AMG or not) pre about 2003 will rust at some point, ranging from cosmetic to serious. With a full and unbroken M-B service history you have a fair chance of getting it sorted by M-B, but there are some conditions e.g. you must have owned the car for a minimum period (6 months?) and I'm not sure they will do the same area more than once.

If the bodywork warranty still applies you have to ask yourself why the previous owner didn't get it sorted. If not, you are on your own.

Lots of threads on here about rust.

Mileage is much less of an issue and 90k should not be a problem.

Mercedes only started galvanising their car in 2003-2004 ... in response to the major rust problems on earlier cars, sometimes appearing within a couple of years from new.

Just about every E class (AMG or not) pre about 2003 will rust at some point, ranging from cosmetic to serious. With a full and unbroken M-B service history you have a fair chance of getting it sorted by M-B, but there are some conditions e.g. you must have owned the car for a minimum period (6 months?) and I'm not sure they will do the same area more than once.

If the bodywork warranty still applies you have to ask yourself why the previous owner didn't get it sorted. If not, you are on your own.

Lots of threads on here about rust.

Mileage is much less of an issue and 90k should not be a problem.

Mercedes only started galvanising their car in 2003-2004 ... in response to the major rust problems on earlier cars, sometimes appearing within a couple of years from new.

Great, thanks for the info, did not realise rust was such an issue with these cars...

Sure is. Off puttingly so unfortunatelly, all IMO of course.

It is a mint G50 3.2, but GP White with black.... not exactly original (lots of bits removed to save weight, Mod Exhaust and chipped) Not stripped to the bone or with hardcore suspension though as its my daily driver.

Sounds lovely:thumb:

pics?

Sounds lovely:thumb:

pics?

crop1JPG.jpg

Here you go, thanks for asking!

DSCF0018.jpg

Its in pretty good nick, this is the o/s front wheel arch just a powerwash and a bit of elbow grease, mind you the rust protection is heavy duty!

DSCN0052.jpg

...and after the oil cooler is replaced (new pipes and discs etc). Still the body was 100% sound - not bad for a 20 year old car (at the time).

are you keeping the 911?

do you have any interior pics?

are you keeping the 911?

do you have any interior pics?

Nothing immediately to hand, basically its all black with white pinstripe and half leather (Bolsters and headrests, black leather) seats.

Wasn't thinking of selling the 911 (usual story of - spent much time and effort getting it where it is). But having said that I suppose anything is for sale at the right price.

This is a pic of the rear wheeel arch, took the rear lamps out, stripped out the oil tank and gave it all a clean and waxoyl in the vunerable areas.. see what i mean about time and effort?!

DSCN0056.jpg

Wasn't thinking of selling the 911 (usual story of - spent much time and effort getting it where it is). But having said that I suppose anything is for sale at the right price.

let me know if you change your mind.

your 911 does look mint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom