I'm a 2004 CLK500 Cabrio. Guess my weight!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NotFiona

Car
CLK 500
I have access to a pair of car scales so decided to weight my CLK500 Cabrio today. Mercedes declare the weight as 1785KG with 90% fuel and a 68KG driver. I weighed it with 40% fuel and no driver so should be around 1685KG.
Car is standard, it has a few factory options but nothing I'd expect to change the weight much.
The number on the scales (which are calibrated) was not what I was expecting!
Anyone want to have a guess?

It's 1962KG so best part of 300KG heavier than expected!
Front axle was 995KG
Rear axle was 967KG
So weight distribution is almost 50-50, a bit like an MX5, well, except it's twice as heavy!

Time to vacuum those carpets, I guess.

Car is standard, it has a few factory options but nothing I'd expect to change the weight much.

When I ordered our Vito I got a list of option weights from MB UK as I wanted to keep it under 2040 kg unladen in order to qualify as a Dual Purpose Vehicle (subject to normal car speed limits, rather than the lower van ones). FWIW they stated then that all weights quoted (including the vehicle ones) are subject to a 5% tolerance - hard to add 300 kg though.

What options does you car have? Is the hood the original one?

Doesn't sound quite right to me, were you able to weigh the complete car, or front and rear separately then add them together?

Doesn't sound quite right to me, were you able to weigh the complete car, or front and rear separately then add them together?
System has 2 pads so weighs each axle separately but importantly it has levelling blocks for the other end as if the car isn't completely level when it's wright that way it's out by as much as 50kg kg. We are pretty sure it's accurate, we weighed it twice with the same results and previously we have checked cars we have weighed on a public or private weighbridge it's always within 10kg.

When I ordered our Vito I got a list of option weights from MB UK as I wanted to keep it under 2040 kg unladen in order to qualify as a Dual Purpose Vehicle (subject to normal car speed limits, rather than the lower van ones). FWIW they stated then that all weights quoted (including the vehicle ones) are subject to a 5% tolerance - hard to add 300 kg though.

What options does you car have? Is the hood the original one?
Yes original hood and everything else. Has Xenon lights, heated seats, upgraded sound system but can't see that lot adding more than say 30KG.
Slightly different wheels so maybe 20KG
It has been rustproofed but not a heavy underseal, just wax so again maybe another 20KG there.
Floormats maybe 10KG so I guess you could get to 100KG - but it's a lot more than that!

That is surprisingly heavy, i know mine is an SL with a hardtop, and it is aluminium ? But it is stated as 1845kg ( Not exactly 'super light' ) but hard to believe that mine is lighter than your CLK?

I wouldn't want either to park on my foot though :eek:

"Built for comfort, not for speed."

Well, that's what I tell Mrs MiW

That is surprisingly heavy, i know mine is an SL with a hardtop, and it is aluminium ? But it is stated as 1845kg ( Not exactly 'super light' )

I think there's still some debate about whether SL stood for 'Super Leicht' (super light) or 'Sport Leicht' (sport light) ... it may even have changed over the years as the original 300 SL had a spaceframe chassis and 'only' weighed 1500 kg. As you say an R129 SL500 is closer to 2 tonnes, which would be stretching either definition a bit :D

My previously mentioned Vito is a 6-seater Dualiner, 'Long', with auto gearbox and the OM642 3.0 V6. That has a kerbweight (before options) of 1940 kg, so 1960 for a CLK does sound suspiciously high.

There is a weighbridge I occasionally go past so I will get it checked there to confirm but I'm pretty sure the scales are accurate. Like most modern scales that use electronic load sensors they tend to work or not rather than give a false reading. We recently weighed a Mitsubishi Outlander (the older version without the batteries) and the CLK is about 30KG heavier than that. Being a V8 and cabrio with option mine is probably as heavy as a CLK gets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom