Increased Sanctions Proposed for Mobile Phone Use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To condense my own feelings about driving, and the responsibility the driver should have for his own welfare, of his passengers, and of other road users, including pedestrians on the pavement, which is still part of the road, I stand by a simple mandate.

Do unto others as you would expect to be done unto you. Or put another way, treats others as you would want to be treated.

So, if I need to use hands free, it is to notify my family that I am going to be late. Pure and simple, and very short and to the point. My conversations last no longer than 10 or 20 seconds, and is usually because I am held up in traffic. Any longer conversations require me to pull over and make a safe conversation.

Driving with compassion also means that I will allow traffic from side roads to pull on to the main carriageway without me trying to race them, or allowing a vehicle overtaking to safely pull in in front of me, without me trying to prove a point. If someone desperately wants to overtake me, let them.

I find it far less stressful simply driving with the flow, rather than trying to swim up current, so to speak. If the traffic is moving slowly, flow with it, instead of trying to fight it. Let the accidents happen to other people, rather than cause them yourself.

Knighterrant his hit the nail on the head when he says too many people are more concerned about how their driving will affect them, rather than how their driving will affect others. Too many people are self obsessed, not realising that they have a duty to others as well as themselves.

Last year, I almost lost my mother in a car accident that was caused by a seventeen year old girl who literally did NOT look when pulling out of a side road. At the police interview her only concern was herself, and how 'we were not there' when she had looked. Such a selfish attitude, especially as she almost ended the life of a 70 year old woman through one simple foolish act.

People need to take ownership of their actions. If you do wrong, you take the rap, and not try to pass the buck. Too many people have too many excuses for why they did wrong, without so much as a 'Sorry'.

Is it not beyond the scope of car technology to block phone networks from working in a car? Perhaps just the emergency numbers would be available?

Would cure the problem over night..

Is it not beyond the scope of car technology to block phone networks from working in a car? Perhaps just the emergency numbers would be available?

Would cure the problem over night..

And your legal passengers? What about people just outside the car?

There is no incentive to make something like this from the companies that provide signals.
In addition, law would deny based on public security I case of an emergency.
However, a good thought, been debated in scenarios like cinema and theaters.

As I said up thread, if statistics eventually prove that being on a handsfree conversation habitually contributes to accidents, then cars should be have their ability to make such calls disabled once the engine is running/ car is moving.

There is no point in simply having an automatic "oh you were on the phone when you ran into xyz ...that's careless driving" policy. One assumes traffic laws are primarily there for safety reasons, as oppose to simply act as a punitive measure, so make it law that the functionality doesn't exist.

Good point of course, but what then is the solution?

If you can't prevent phone use in the car, can't properly police it then what do we do about it? How can we stop the mindless idiots texting and driving?

Surely there has to be a way.....?

Surely there has to be a way.....?

Awareness, most people use seat belts when driving now.

Then again, people is far too much interested in Facebook updates that have to be read at once.
Sad but true, I know some addicted ones constantly checking all kinds of medias while driving.
Worst is possibly, selfies while driving, and adding 20 people to to the snapchat picture.

^^ Scary!!!

Does anyone know why this brain dead obsession to do these things while driving?

What is wrong with people??!!

davidjpowell said:
Sod 'em. Safety is far more important than phone calls.

Last edited by a moderator:
ASnowman said:
Awareness, most people use seat belts when driving now. Then again, people is far too much interested in Facebook updates that have to be read at once. Sad but true, I know some addicted ones constantly checking all kinds of medias while driving. Worst is possibly, selfies while driving, and adding 20 people to to the snapchat picture.
Good point; therein lies the problem. Forty or so years ago when attempts were being made to get everyone using seat belts there was a lot of resistance. There were many apocryphal reports of people being killed "because they were trapped by their seat belts inside burning cars" or similar. Of course the opponents failed to acknowledge the hundreds of lives definitely saved by the seat belts. Eventually making them compulsory by law, supported by heavy coverage in all the media (clunk - click every trip), got them almost universally accepted. There were still a few who continued to complain, just because, but for most of us it wasn't a burden. We had nothing to lose.

But the evident addiction to phones will be a whole different nut to crack (Christmas related pun intended). Properly preventing their use in cars will be seen by far too many as having their hearts ripped out of their bodies. A long and thorough media campaign, with graphic images of the devastation that they can and do cause, would hopefully be of some use. But society has become so dependent on the communications device, even at the expense of face-to-face contact, that it's going to be a struggle. Perhaps the education needs to start early on in school, but that's been tried with smoking and seems to have had little if any positive effect.

I'd love to see what would happen if mobile devices were confiscated for a week!! Would everyone suddenly implode?? LOL!

I traveled to central London yesterday to sort out my Russian visa and on the train probably 90% of people were using phones (texting etc - not talking) and then, walking from Farringdon station, loads of people walking and texting! What the hell is going on? Is the population infected with a disease?

.... What the hell is going on? Is the population infected with a disease?

Well yes and it's contagious. Some of us should be thankful we haven't caught it yet. I'm one of the least fashionable people I know so I'm not at much risk.

You and me both!! And I work in IT! LOL!

It's an absolutely pathetic suggestion. Why are people obsessed with mobile phone use by drivers? When I read that 205 people had been killed, over 10 years, due to mobile phone use by drivers, I was staggered. It's a complete non problem. Probably 100 times that number of accidents were caused by satellite navigation, or fiddling with the radio, or smoking, or eating, or kids misbehaving.

There are so many other things which happen in a car, which cause equal or greater danger.

The other aspect is, we already have some of the safest roads in the world. The last data I saw put us second in the world for safest roads, just behind the Swedes. However figures have fallen substantially since then, so I wouldn't be surprised if we were now top.

There are so many better things to focus on now to save lives, stop persecuting motorists, and focus on some of the things which are killing tens of thousands! (of course they won't do this, because 'road safety' is a constant convenient source of extra taxation).

Why are people obsessed with mobile phone use by drivers? When I read that 205 people had been killed, over 10 years, due to mobile phone use by drivers, I was staggered. It's a complete non problem.
While I doubt that any of the 205 or their surviving friends and relatives would agree that it's a "non problem", I do agree with you that it's over emphasised.

I mentioned in my post that started this thread that if anyone takes the trouble to read the detailed statistics, mobile phone use while driving is the primary causal factor in roughly the same number of incidents as "distraction from outside the vehicle", and is one of the lower causal factors avoidable by the driver. That hasn't stopped there being 8 pages of posts demonising it though.

Perhaps we should ban nubile young women walking down the street in summer dressed in tight t-shirts too? ;)

When you've narrowly avoided being rear ended by a moron texting while driving, you might think differently.

It's likely there are 205 incidents where it's been proved beyond reasonable doubt and maybe many tens of thousands more where it was hidden, not proven or lost.

It will only increase in prevalence as more younger people who were born after mobile phones were developed grew up using an ipad/iphone before they can speak.

How about nipping it in the bud before the 205 figure becomes 20,500 as all these children become drivers over the next 10 - 20 years? It's not such a daft idea is it.

We have a 17 year old daughter who passed her test this year at the second attempt. She's an absolute liability as it's been noted earlier in this thread, checking facebook, or instagram, or twitter isn't using your phone as you're not making a call, obviously we've explained this in detail now.

Don't confuse your mature adult developed mentality with everyone else on the road, you would be genuinely astonished at the general ignorance that exists with regard to what is and isn't considered "use" of a mobile phone. I've no doubt the resident Police officers on the forum would be happy to provide examples.

Last edited:
I do not, and have not, advocated a free for all regarding mobile comm's.

What I have tried to point out is that the notion that increasing the sanction for breaking a dubiously defined law that is difficult to enforce is flawed. It won't solve the problem. Banning all telephone use in cars is similarly futile as those who flout the law today will continue to do so.

If HMG is serious about changing behaviour then serious effort needs to be directed towards education of all drivers regarding the potential for distractions to have catastrophic consequences, instead of knee-jerk headline grabbing "policy shifts".

If HMG is serious about changing behaviour then serious effort needs to be directed towards education of all drivers regarding the potential for distractions to have catastrophic consequences.

I agree completely with the education argument, but it needs to be combined with clear legality, which if we're honest doesn't really exist at the moment with phones due to technology advancing faster than legislation.

Seatbelts and drink driving are the perfect example of a two pronged campaign of education and legislation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom