International eBay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imadoofus

MB Enthusiast
Car
This and that.
Does anyone have an explanation for this?

I was searching for a car on eBay.fr, and when clicking on the ad, I got (in French) the following message:

eBay.fr said:
Unfortunately, access to this item was blocked because of legal restrictions in force in certain countries. In accordance with these restrictions, we endeavour to block the posting of such items. We regret that for technical reasons, some advertisements within the framework of these restrictions can not be accessed by users. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience and we hope that you will find other interesting objects on eBay

So I tried a number of different cars, and got the same thing every time.

It only applies to cars though, not parts, or non-motoring items.

WTF? :confused:

That's new. I was looking recently and had no problems, now it's there.

:confused:

Unfortunately , the access at this object has been blockaded because limitation lawfully operative at some country. In obedience to these limitation , ourselves ourselves efforçons about block the poster any object about. Ourselves regrettable about you apprise as for any motivations techniques , various announcements ne get back not in 1994 cadre of these limitation are able cannot be accessible at the users. Ourselves you priority d'accepter our apology for all désagrément and ourselves expectation as you find else object interesting about eBay. thank you

Last edited:
Does anyone have an explanation for this?

I was searching for a car on eBay.fr, and when clicking on the ad, I got (in French) the following message:

So I tried a number of different cars, and got the same thing every time.

It only applies to cars though, not parts, or non-motoring items.

WTF? :confused:

What's illegal about buying a car from France???

So much for EU cross boarder trading...

Your French is better than mine, DM ;)

It's just your English which appears to need some work :D

PJ

I've sent eBay.fr an email asking for an explanation.

I look forward to reading Ebay's response.

As a side issue I've found s/h cars in France to be significantly more expensive than the UK. But I was just looking at mainstream cars, maybe classics are better value?

wemorgan said:
As a side issue I've found s/h cars in France to be significantly more expensive than the UK. But I was just looking at mainstream cars, maybe classics are better value?

Not really. France has a healthier attitude towards cars than we do, in general. They are seen less as status symbols by the majority of the population, and therefore they're valued upon their usefulness, rather than upon their impressiveness. Also, large parts of France are not wealthy, and people hang onto their cars for much longer.

'Mainstream' classics probably realise similar values to those in the UK - more if they're French, and vintage cars have a strong following there.

Well I got a quick reply from Kilian Dumas, at eBay France, who says (I've translated it into English for peoples' benefit):

eBay.fr said:
After a decision of the Bankruptcy Court of Paris in July 2008 prohibiting the sale of certain genuine perfumes and cosmetics on eBay under French laws on Selective Distribution, eBay was required to set up a number of restrictions within certain categories.

Unfortunately, due to the limitations of our technology, these restrictions will also affect items which are not covered by the Court's decision. We are conscious of the disadvantages of this situation for sellers of legitimate articles and we appreciate their continuous support (and their patience) vis-a-vis this issue.

We are working to solve this problem as soon as possible.

eBay have appealed against this decision, but these restrictions were introduced shortly after the decision of the court and must remain in place pending that appeal.

We thank you for your support and your patience.

So I wonder why it affects cars, but not (for instance) car parts... :confused:

Well I got a quick reply from Kilian Dumas, at eBay France, who says (I've translated it into English for peoples' benefit):

So I wonder why it affects cars, but not (for instance) car parts... :confused:

In case of the word Diesel?

nick mercedes said:
In case of the word Diesel?

Are you suggesting that I was searching for diesels!? :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom