• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Is this rust problem normal?

emkay

Car
Mercedes C180
I hope this isn't a really stupid question......

I own a 2001 C180 Sport Coupe with 65k mileage. When I moved to Germany 2 years ago, the bodywork was immaculate. After one winter here, rust has sprung up all over the wheel arches and in other small areas. I know the winters are harder here and lots of salt is used on the roads for an extended period of time though I always took care to wash my car appropriately.

Obviously there are plenty of Mercedes around here and even just in our circles, many people have much older models with virtually no rust at all. Even lots of people who don't take much care of the bodywork.

So, here's my question.....before I spend a lot to fix the rust (metalwork crumbling), is there a difference in the standard of bodywork between the European mainland and UK market? (Official or unofficial) I'm guessing RH drives mainly go to the UK and Cyprus in Europe. Would I be wasting my money? I'm a bit jaded having just also spent 1000€ to fix both front shock absorbers that had snapped due to rust.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in anticipation

The RHD UK market W203 cars were built in South Africa. The LHD ones in Germany Different plants different steel +different paint process? This applied to the saloons definitely- don't know about the sport coupes/

Thank you Grober, that's really interesting as I was about to add to my post that I had once heard that the South African Mercedes were of a different build quality due to the climate differences.

I'm not sure if I should now keep the car despite having just paid so much for a repair as the build quality differs. Do you think that Mercedes can tell me where my car was manufactured given the VIN number? My last car was an Audi that even after 16 years and 200k mileage had no spot of rust. I've never seen on any documentation from Mercedes that there are any disclaimers to the effect of "don't take this car to a cold climate as it may fall apart"!

Thanks again

If you post your VIN someone will tell you. Rust coming through in Germany? Depends maybe on how long you have had the car? Its possible rust has broken out before and been repaired under MB's body warranty. But once rust is established it invariably comes back- eventually no matter how good the repair.

Thanks Grober. Just contacted the original merc dealer in the uk and it is a W203 so likely made in South Africa. There's no history of rust repair according to them. I know it's quite an old car though here in Germany, the bodywork is so much more resilient in much older cars.

203s started getting galvanised body panels in Q4 2002 (build date), with all of them being galvanised from Q2 2003 onwards. So rust on a 2001 car would not be a surprise I'm afraid.

Thanks grumpyoldgit. Despite the dealer saying it was made in South Africa, that sticker does say its made in Germany. Model WDB203xxxxxx. The dealer says all C class RH drives are made in SA

Sport Coupes were made in Germany....I thought the only South African made cars were RHD Saloons, with the estates being made in Bremen.

So bang goes the German v SA theory. Looks as if their paintwork was uniformly bad at that time wherever they were made. You will have to get the paintwork repaired at some point but in reply to your initial question its looking as if the car is not a good long term ownership prospect. sorry.

Thank you all for your replies. The repairs I have just paid for should hopefully give me another 2 years of use (German MOT valid for 2 years). Then I'll have to think of another car. Any suggestions?

Thanks again

Very much depends on your budget, but MB quality took a big leap forward with the introduction of the W204 series. Neglecting the piezo injector debacle they have proved pretty reliable in the main. In another 2 years a W204 coupe would be be within reach I would think. If you want the best bodywork I imagine VAG still have the edge and a nice AUDI A5 might fit the bill

It's an early 00's Mercedes, of course it's normal;).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom