Issues with Mercedes Approved vehicle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK - I'd ask them to re-do the inspection ... The threat of returning ("backing") the car is very significant to the dealer ....

R

Reactions: LTD
From what I have seen on this forum over the years you have to treat a purchase of an "Approved Used" car from a main dealer in much the same way as a private purchase.
I would make sure that they fit decent quality new tyres and not such cheap chinese ditch finders.

The salesman told me that there has to be a minimum of 3mm on the tyres at the point of sale. The inspection report said there was 3mm, I pointed out that this was impossible as after 200 miles they were now at 1.5mm and level with the wear indicators. They said they would replace the tyres with zero argument. Then when the brake pad light came on at 250 miles I called up and told them about the pad, the salesman told me that there should be a minimum on the pads just like the tyres. It is only the mechanic who has given me any sort of pushback. I fully expect them to sort the pads when I see them in the morning, its just a shame my inspection obviously wasn't carried out correctly.
For every person who doesn’t go back, then it’s a direct bottom line benefit - I suspect a surprising number don’t.

Repairs are a similar story, if fixed prior to sale then the dealer meets the cost, after the buyer collects them the warranty locks up the bill. I can’t help but think the warranty company is now wise to it though.

The salesman told me that there has to be a minimum of 3mm on the tyres at the point of sale. The inspection report said there was 3mm, I pointed out that this was impossible as after 200 miles they were now at 1.5mm and level with the wear indicators. They said they would replace the tyres with zero argument. Then when the brake pad light came on at 250 miles I called up and told them about the pad, the salesman told me that there should be a minimum on the pads just like the tyres. It is only the mechanic who has given me any sort of pushback. I fully expect them to sort the pads when I see them in the morning, its just a shame my inspection obviously wasn't carried out correctly.
Unfortunately as has been highlighted in this thread it seems that some dealerships are doing little or no checks and if a customer highlights any problems at point of sale they are rectified and if not then the cost of preparation is almost zero to the supplying approved used dealer-good luck and hope your issues are resolved to your satisfaction.

I dropped the car off this morning and they just called me. They have fitted the 2 new tyres and are fitting new brake pads all round. I must say I'm pleased with that outcome, there was no arguing from them at all.

I dropped the car off this morning and they just called me. They have fitted the 2 new tyres and are fitting new brake pads all round. I must say I'm pleased with that outcome, there was no arguing from them at all.

Good news , pity these obvious point were not picked up during their multi point pre-sale checks.

K

Reactions: 219
Good news-it’s a shame you had to go back and ask when it should have been done before going on the forecourt but at least it’s sorted now.

Reactions: 219
Yea agreed. I said I had no faith in their previous inspection and the the technician assured me he would check the car out personally for me and fix any issues that he found. I had to ask what the loud clicking noise was when the window is down as I have never experienced it before. He informed me that it was the adblue injector, you learn something every day.

Never heard that before.
Is noise constant or increases with speed ?
Maybe a rock or nail / screw in a tyre - often give a click, click when driving if you have picked up something in tread.

It happens when standing, can only hear when the window is open. It happens every few seconds, he said it is the adblue injector working.

This ^

Mine went from 7mm , according to the techs video, to pad warning light in less than a month (200 miles) , so either someone was "tracking" my car during the night whilst i was sleeping or they were not checked properly (at all) during the service , my ££ is on the later.

They definitely never checked the air filters / pads / and probably never replaced the oil or the brake fluid either , which i couldn`t prove.

The above "thorough" servicing was carried out over four years and at a reasonable cost of £2k through their service plan.

K
Back when the W123 was current , a friend bought one new from a dealer not far from where you are .

After a couple of ‘services’ where he suspected not much was being done , he got a local mechanic to put tell tale marks on brake pads , oil filter etc , photographed them then smudged them over with dirt/grease .

after the service , where he was charged for said items , he noted they were still the original ones , and went in asking why certain things were charged for .

“oh we replace these as a matter of routine” . At this point he produced his ‘evidence’ of nothing being touched and asked if they wanted him to take the story to The Herald .

needless to say , the job was done properly, and he got a full refund .

in fairness it isn’t always the garage .

another friend in my hometown, who runs a small repair garage , bought a low mileage 260E from the widow of a local businessman who had passed away . This one owner car had FMBSH , but when inspecting it , it was clear to my friend that components on the car , invoiced for in the service history had never been touched - ever .

since my friend was in the trade , and knew the service manager at the dealership, he phoned up , was invited to bring the car in .

at this point the manager apologised profusely , saying he had suspected , but to that point had never been able to prove , that technicians had been drawing parts from stores , not fitting them to customers cars , and keeping them for ‘homers’ .

because he was able to track this service to a particular technician, who he already suspected of this , the guy was sacked and my friend was offered a free service - he opted to take the parts and do the work himself .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom