• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

K&N air filters... opinions please

mikerajjers

Hi,
I've read into K&N air filters... are they really that much better than standard filters? Please let me know your opinions as I am thinking of getting one for a W202 Turbodiesel.

Michal

General consensus seems to be avoid them. The K & N seems to be the worst for killing your MAF, do a search on here as the topic has been covered many times. The problem arises because of over oiling the filter which then kills the MAF. The biggest difference you are likely to notice, is the nicer sound you get with the filter.

From what I've read on the net, if the air filter could give the gains claimed, then wouldn't the manufacturer have used them in the first place?

I have Green Cotton Filters in the C43 not had a problem.

General consensus seems to be avoid them. The K & N seems to be the worst for killing your MAF, do a search on here as the topic has been covered many times. The problem arises because of over oiling the filter which then kills the MAF. The biggest difference you are likely to notice, is the nicer sound you get with the filter.

From what I've read on the net, if the air filter could give the gains claimed, then wouldn't the manufacturer have used them in the first place?

Then the answer surely is not to over oil them! :)

Then the answer surely is not to over oil them! :)

Indeed :)

But the fact that it does screw up the MAF means finding the right amount is not so easy, too little and it doesn't work, too much and it screws your MAF.

I guess you could just buy a new filter each time :D

what does MAF stand for? and how much work would you need for a Pipercross kit? i used to have a universal induction kit in my peugeot. Took me 20 minutes to remove the old one and connect the new. But I'm not sure on the diameters for the W202...

MAF stands for Mass Air Flow (Meter). It measures the flow rate of air into the engine.

I had a K&N ...

I fitted one for a year or so and it was slightly noisier and worked fine. However, my MAF is the old KE mechanical one so no oil issues.

In truth, the K&N offered no real advantage so it's in the cellar and an original MB (Mann) paper element is doing sterling service and I'll stick with it.

RayH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom