• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

K&N Filters

adm1945

Car
SLK 200 cdi
I have heard that K&N filters can help with mpg - any opinions on this? Does anyone know if they do one that fits the SLK 350? They say not but on the USA site there are a couple of 55s with them fitted.

Don't know about helping with MPG , i know they can bugger up your MAS though.

Something to do with the oil on them.

And let more dust and dirt into your engine. I've yet to see a report that says the OEM filter can't allow full induction.

Answered my question - leave well enough alone - not that I have a problem, just anything to up the mpg with costs spiraling the way they are.

Hi,
I have been running my C230K with a K&N filter in the standard air box for over 60,000 miles now with no MAS failure or anything else untoward. I believe it gave me slightly better mpg and performance.

Let me put it this way - I wouldn't use a K & N on a lawn mower.

See here for more;

http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

Having read that report it was obvious that he made a lot of sense. I used a K&N on a MX5 but was never convinced it made a real difference, but having spent £100+ I wasn't going to admit it.

Did not change the one on the Lotus and after reading that, won't on the MB.

Thanks a lot for the link.

Stay with MB original air filters. MB will have a team of engineers whos job is solely developing the best filters for MB engines.

So K&N are highly unlikely to have more knowledge than them... or MB would headhunt them with a job offer.

Have used one in my previous car for 200K+ miles and can't say it saves fuel..
Would say the same (yearly avg l/100km).
Cheaper because you clean it instead of replacing it so initial outlay higher but will end up costing a bit less (but only after 100K or so...;)).
Also have to be very careful after cleaning when respraying with oil or you'll have MAS/MAF problems. Don't think it's worth the risk TBH.

My 2 cents,
Paulo

Stay with MB original air filters. MB will have a team of engineers whos job is solely developing the best filters for MB engines.

So K&N are highly unlikely to have more knowledge than them... or MB would headhunt them with a job offer.

you could say that about any performance part... discs, calipers, pads...

they are a performance product designed to do a different job to the original.

I love the sound K&N filters make, however having read that they can cause all sorts of issues with airflow sensors, i have kept away.

My brother swears by them for his Honda's, and I have to admit, the sound is beautiful..

the only problem with airflow sensors is when people incorrectly over oil the filter.

To answer the original question, yes they are available for the SLK 350. You need 2 x 33-2181

the only problem with airflow sensors is when people incorrectly over oil the filter.

Presumably K&N don't know how much oil to apply then..

What about the "MIST" , oil particles that are carried over the MAS with the airflow, contaminating it ?

K&N's are standard fitment on a variety of 'performance' cars - mainly petrol engines (not diesel - as in that report above). My Caterham has a pair as standard fit. If you 'over lube' them after washing them through etc. then you may run the risk of oil being drawn in and over/on the mass air sensors internally. I have mooted the idea of fitting a K&N panel filter to my E200 w124 but I am hesitating a little. Making an engine breath more efficiently is one thing - allow a load of 'crap' to get in on induction is another. Still undecided although I confess to previous cars i have owned (BMW, Subaru and Nissan) to running K&N filters without problem. Remember, you still have the whole airbox encasing the thing.

Why don't AMG fit them ? don't get much more 'performance' than that ....

Making an engine breath more efficiently is one thing - allow a load of 'crap' to get in on induction is another.

Perform an induction system pressure drop test. You will soon see that the filter makes no difference.

Hi there,

Had a K&N air filter fitted to my E430, two years ago along with a stainless steel exhaust, and it definitely made the car quicker. Had no problems with the MAF, nor did it change the MPG sounds and run great.:D

Sold it to a lad in Leeds who also commented on how quick the car was. Like me he’s now sold the car and regrets it. :confused:

So some one out there has a really fast E430 with a K&N air filter.

Hope this helps.:bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom