• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

K&N Filters

sgtbob

Car
1999 T C230K
I thought i had read somewhere that K&N air filters were not advised for C230 Kompressors as they had no or little effect etc. Is this true? Has anyone here got one fitted to their C230K? What is the performance increase like? What price should i be looking at?

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

I thought i had read somewhere that K&N air filters were not advised for C230 Kompressors as they had no or little effect etc. Is this true? Has anyone here got one fitted to their C230K? What is the performance increase like? What price should i be looking at?

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

Always been told to steer well clear, over oiling on a K&N can stuff up the MAF. Got a Green panel filter in my CLK 230K costs about £50 awesome and yes it does work 2 - 3 bhp gain at best though.

Can be found HERE

I have been running a panel K&N Filter on my C230K for close to 100,000miles, though I thought intially it made a difference in performance i,m not so sure now, but I believe it has increased my MPG.
If cleaned and oiled correctly will not damage the MAF, but there is some doubt whether there any good regarding increased air flow as i,m sure that i,ve seen a test results that actually concluded that the a K&N was little or no better than the standard paper element.

Andy,
Can you hear them?
As some filters can be noisy due to induction roar.

Well it has been some time since it has been run with anything else but no percievable additional induction roar, though the one I have fitted just replaces the standard paper element rather than the complete air box.
The original reason I bought this was to save £22 on replacing the standard paper filter replacement each time it was serviced as I knew I would be keeping the car for a long time, with this in mind it has paid for itself 3 or 4 times over.
Though I have had the MAF go I believe this was going anyway as it went within 2000 miles of the filter replacement, but the same MAF has been on there since getting on for 100,000 miles now, with no faults to speak of.

K&N filters not reccomeded for anything other than charging across a desert, seen to many engines with serious early wear, they let much bigger particles through than a standard filter on pretty much anything these days.

The OEM one from the dealer is £12. Just get that, air filters 'upgrades' only concern those with 1.2/1.4 litre badboi engines who are trying every conceivable possibility to get more power. With your C230k you really dont need that:).

Thanks folks. Didnt think they were worth it really. Guess ill just stick to the 'cosmetic' visual mods then.

Rob.

Personaly i would get a panel filter / closed intake over a "open filter" there not much to be gained from a filter apart from throttle reponse and as mentioned a small bhp / nm increase .

Regards *** Tuning

Thanks folks. Didnt think they were worth it really. Guess ill just stick to the 'cosmetic' visual mods then.

Rob.

Get a Sprintbooster installed if you want some fun out of it :)> Very easy mod and plenty of threads here about it.

I have one fitted on mine.

I think the oil prob comes from when people clean and reoil the filter and apply to much oil to the filter.

Lynall

"Tuning Boxes" = Generic = Not Good

No disrespect to any one , But These things send False signals to the ECU (what can you expect for £200)

Please don't get me wrong we know that they make a difference (we occasional source for clients) .This is just a fraction of a Remap/Software Upgrade . You would be better of getting the real thing for a few more pounds ...

+ There is no back up

-no tech support

- the product is what it is (you cant alter or tweak if not satisfied)

-Generic One size fits all

- There for not specific to you requirements -Flat spots ect -or more power when and where you would like it

- NO warranty

- No Approval

Please don't take offence to this ... not saying there a waste of money just there is something for the enthusiast / perfectionist a little like going from Fiat to Ferrari

This is factual and is proven

Kind Regards

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom