Kindle recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted96908

For the past 5 years or so almost all my 'reading' has been in the form of Audible audio books, but there's a few books that I want to read that aren't yet available this way.

Rather than buying yet more print books, I thought I'd try a Kindle or similar. Before taking the plunge I tried reading on an iPad, but found it uncomfortably heavy for more than an hour or so.

So I'm thinking I'll try a dedicated book reader and would like recommendations that provide most of the following, in rough order of importance.

• Lightweight
  • Hi res
  • Long battery life
  • Browser for doing quick look ups of referenced content (I read non fiction).

Any helpful recommendations would be great, and if possible from folks that own or have first hand experience of the devices themselves.

Many thanks

Chris

Chris

We have just replaced a Nexus 7" tablet (primarily used for reading e- books) with a Samsung Galaxy S2 9.7" tablet.

The Galaxy is much thinner and lighter than comparable I Pads , has superb resolution and the battery life in reading mode is very good. Madam has not found any issue with using this as an e-reader in terms of size or weight.

There is also an 8" version which is even lighter and has slightly higher resolution. PC World had these on offer recently. The 8" version being circa £50 less.

Both are also very fast and slick when used as tablets and both can have SD cards added for additional memory.

David

You can't go wrong with any of the Kindles. We both own the older version (with the keyboard) and they have lasted years so the extended warranty was pointless!
Battery life was and remains excellent....a charge will last a fortnight with 2-3 hours of daily reading plus flight time no problem.
Small enough to fit in a jacket (blazer) pocket but I've always used a cover that doubles as a stand.

The wifi connection works well and this models has the worldwide SIM.

Although there is nothing wrong with it/them, I often look at the newer versions like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QJDO0QC/?tag=amazon0e9db-21 for no reason other than this older version isn't backlit or have a built in light, useful for on plane journeys.

There is a function that allows the user to select a reference or word for a search (in addition to the dictionary) but I've never used it.

We don't use the 3G/SIM much so the next one will be wifi only...very easy to either load the the thing up with books before a trip or, as so many places have wifi now, use their signal.

Being able to change the font sizes is useful as is not having to keep every book you buy on the device; all books purchased remain in the owner's Kindle Library and can be downloaded at anytime.
You can upload pdf (and other files to them easily) which is useful for book lists or reference material I've found.

I would go for as large a screen as possible just to save having to 'turn the page' so often when in full flow and if you still love audio books, some publishers provide the option to buy both versions together which can be listened to on the Kindle....don't know if that applies to all models.

+1 for Kindle, just bought a Kindle Fire, very good for reading and you can put your music tracks on as well.

A tablet is more versatile but for reading, plain Kindle all the way. I use mine for a couple of hours a day (commuting by train) - small & light, good screen, load of storage, amazing battery life.

Kindle paper white I have had all versions and this is the best. The added light feature over the standard make its worth the extra few ponds.

Yep kindle paper white for me too, fantastic reading device much better than an ipad/tablet if I lost it or broke it a new one would be ordered instantly, you can buy a waterproof version somewhere which I intend to do next time it would be ideal for bath time or by the pool etc wasn't much extra either.

Mrs JB has a Kindle Fire I think - or a Kindle of some sort.

She started with a tablet but prefers the Kindle.

It doesn't show off the blue light that keeps you awake either like tablets / TVs etc.

For reading text books then go for the basic Kindle with e-ink displays. The long battery life makes them great for travel.

If you are reading more complicated stuff then a larger tablet or iPad may be the way to go. But then you're a bit more beholden to the battery life.

If you have a subscription (or are planning a subscription) with Prime then the Amazon Fire tablets should allow download of content. However compared with the likes of an iPad or Samsung tablet the Fire displays don't seem to be nearly as good.

Yep kindle paper white for me too, fantastic reading device much better than an ipad/tablet if I lost it or broke it a new one would be ordered instantly, you can buy a waterproof version somewhere which I intend to do next time it would be ideal for bath time or by the pool etc wasn't much extra either.

+one. A great device. Currently on holiday and am on third book and less than a third of charge used. Back lit so can be read at night and lighter than a paperback.

As people say, Kindle Paperwhite if it is to be used for reading normal books. The Fire is a tablet and will suffer with the same issues they all do.

For reading text books then go for the basic Kindle with e-ink displays. The long battery life makes them great for travel.

That was my choice. I find the display fine, and I don't tend to read in the dark. I had a keypad one originally and a Touch now (both WiFi only).

The newer paperwhite has a backlit screen - it does not hit battery life particularly hard.

Tablet ones are useless for reading in bright sunshine etc...

Kindle paperwhite for me. I have had one for years and cannot fault it. The backlit screen is great for reading in bed and, unlike a tablet, no problem reading in bright sunlight either.

Kindle paperwhite for me. I have had one for years and cannot fault it. The backlit screen is great for reading in bed and, unlike a tablet, no problem reading in bright sunlight either.

+1....great for reading in bed without disturbing SWMBO

Kindle paper white I have had all versions and this is the best. The added light feature over the standard make it's worth the extra few pounds.

That's what I have, what forced me to buy it was having to lug around Stephen King's Under the Dome 50KG monster book. In the end I thought, if a book is crap, at least I didn't have to sweat carrying it around :D

Chris

We have just replaced a Nexus 7" tablet (primarily used for reading e- books) with a Samsung Galaxy S2 9.7" tablet.

The Galaxy is much thinner and lighter than comparable I Pads , has superb resolution and the battery life in reading mode is very good. Madam has not found any issue with using this as an e-reader in terms of size or weight.

There is also an 8" version which is even lighter and has slightly higher resolution. PC World had these on offer recently. The 8" version being circa £50 less.

Both are also very fast and slick when used as tablets and both can have SD cards added for additional memory.

David

Thanks David. I like the look of the Galaxies, but I want to avoid another tablet type experience.

We are also an Apple house with a big investment in Apple controlled content, so moving away to the other side is not an easy move. Although, the bigger and more controlling Apple gets, the more likely we are to switch.

Many thanks

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't go wrong with any of the Kindles. We both own the older version (with the keyboard) and they have lasted years so the extended warranty was pointless!
Battery life was and remains excellent....a charge will last a fortnight with 2-3 hours of daily reading plus flight time no problem.
Small enough to fit in a jacket (blazer) pocket but I've always used a cover that doubles as a stand.

The wifi connection works well and this models has the worldwide SIM.

Although there is nothing wrong with it/them, I often look at the newer versions like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QJDO0QC/?tag=amazon0e9db-21 for no reason other than this older version isn't backlit or have a built in light, useful for on plane journeys.

There is a function that allows the user to select a reference or word for a search (in addition to the dictionary) but I've never used it.

We don't use the 3G/SIM much so the next one will be wifi only...very easy to either load the the thing up with books before a trip or, as so many places have wifi now, use their signal.

Being able to change the font sizes is useful as is not having to keep every book you buy on the device; all books purchased remain in the owner's Kindle Library and can be downloaded at anytime.
You can upload pdf (and other files to them easily) which is useful for book lists or reference material I've found.

I would go for as large a screen as possible just to save having to 'turn the page' so often when in full flow and if you still love audio books, some publishers provide the option to buy both versions together which can be listened to on the Kindle....don't know if that applies to all models.

Thanks GVM, as usual, a very thorough response.

One of the reasons for making the move is that my eyes struggle with the small text that's commonly used in non fiction, so with Mr Stubborn here not yet prepared to commit to glasses, being able to change font size is therefore very welcome. As is the backlight function and the fact they weigh in at 1/3 to 1/2 the weight of most tablets.

One question on the books themselves. Does the Kindle keep your page if you switch books? I tend to have three or four on the go and switch frequently between them.

Many thanks again,

Chris

Thanks everyone for your responses.

The consensus seems to be the Kindle Paperwhite, so I'll pick up one of those, although I suspect I'll need one for my better half too.

£87.89 - not much more than some of the books I buy.

Kindle Paperwhite

It doesn't show off the blue light that keeps you awake either like tablets / TVs etc.

My iPhone now switches to an orangey light at night and as you say, much less intrusive.

If you are reading more complicated stuff then a larger tablet or iPad may be the way to go. But then you're a bit more beholden to the battery life.

If you have a subscription (or are planning a subscription) with Prime then the Amazon Fire tablets should allow download of content. However compared with the likes of an iPad or Samsung tablet the Fire displays don't seem to be nearly as good.

Talking of big displays, I tried the new giant iPad recently for the very reasons you mentioned, but as my daughter pointed out, it's just as big but not half as clever as her new Macbook.

Re Prime, yes had that for a few years. I find the free next day delivery brilliant and I recover the fee on a monthly basis. Love Prime video/tv too and it's a great experience with Fire TV (don't know about the stick) as it has voice search (as does Apple TV now too) and I find that really useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom