Kwikfit Aircon recharge £29

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I always ask the customer if the vehicle has been leaking or if they have to keep re gassing. I then tell them it's 15quid for a nitrogen pressure test in order to identify the leak. If I know it's leaked refrigerant I will not carry out a re gas! It's against the law to re gas when you know there is a leak! And it's false economy for the customer. We charge as above for a pressure test, 59 for a vac and gas with fresh oil and dye. And if you want de sanitised pumped through the vents it's another 15 quid on top. Not expensive just a realistic price for a proper job. Get sick of these silly prices. It's ridiculous money! You might as well go to halfords and buy a DIY top up tube!!!!!!
Btw. It's not always possible to identify the compressor seal leaking on a pressure test. You often need the compressor running for this

I'd happily pay the £15 - can you recommend anywhere in South Yorkshire?

The point I'm trying to make dog is that I think people get ripped off over a period of time by consistently paying only 29 quid!!!!!!!!!

I always ask the customer if the vehicle has been leaking or if they have to keep re gassing. I then tell them it's 15quid for a nitrogen pressure test in order to identify the leak. If I know it's leaked refrigerant I will not carry out a re gas! It's against the law to re gas when you know there is a leak! And it's false economy for the customer. We charge as above for a pressure test, 59 for a vac and gas with fresh oil and dye. And if you want de sanitised pumped through the vents it's another 15 quid on top. Not expensive just a realistic price for a proper job. Get sick of these silly prices. It's ridiculous money! You might as well go to halfords and buy a DIY top up tube!!!!!!
Btw. It's not always possible to identify the compressor seal leaking on a pressure test. You often need the compressor running for this

duplicated somehow. bugger.

I know I have pressure on both hi and lo sides but no cold air.
If it works it works. If it don't I don't pay.
If I believed there was a significant leak I wouldn't get it done.

Today i went to booked appointment, and they said it had a leak, so no top-up for me :( . They said to find the leak, they would need the car all day, so that will have to wait for a while, despite this, very polite service

Are you sure it is £29 because they told me it was around £50?

I'm curious... last time I went to kwikfit for an aircon recharge, they did a pressure test before refilling...

So I don't see what the issue is - I'm not an expert in this, so is the issue that the pressure test they do is not a nitrogen pressure test? In which case, what is it?

Like so many others, I reckon the price is a loss-leader for them, you go in for a 29£ aircon regas, they get rid of their old gas after summer (so they don't need to store it) and while you're there can identify worn tyres, brakes, etc...

Seems like a winner to the consumer... (now, whether they are technically capable is another ball game)

M.

I took the E320 there back in August.

Compressor was running (so must have had some refrigerant/pressure in the system), but wasn't particularly cold.

Passed the pressure test and was vacced/recharged to spec (1000g R134a from memory?).

When removing the adaptor lines, one of my charging valves at the front, near the condensor had a very slight hiss. The valve was sticking ever so slightly (it was a tiny hiss, you wouldn't have noticed at first).

Kwik-Fit refused to charge for the service, and suggested I arrange for a replacement valve and then returning for the service.

I was home within a couple of minutes, and gave the centre pin of the valve a slight nudge - it moved a fraction of a mm and reseated, stopped hissing and hasn't leaked since (over 2 months ago now). I'm guessing that the valve hadn't been moved in 11 years, hence didn't seat 100% at first.

Either way - it cost me nothing, and I can't really fault them for their approach :)

As with any chain type business, the service/experience will only ever be as good as the individuals you deal with, but Kwik-Fit aren't all bad, not all of them anyway.

I'm sure there's just as many horror stories from MB main dealers, I've certainly seen/heard at worse from many high-end businesses (Audi for one!)

Just my experience :thumb:

I asked K.F last year when they had an offer on about my W126 but they said its an older type of gas, diff pressures etc and they didn't have right adaptors etc. Sounded to me like they couldn't be bothered so didn't pursue it with them. My experience of KF is unless its dead simple they either don't have the ability or the can't be bothered. I used Halfords earlier this year for an AC recharge on my wifes Fiat Multipla(and before you start on their weird looks they are a superb car!). They did a good job, full vac out&fill with dye inc. It lasted 3weeks so returned it and free of charge they diagnosed the leak to a pipe/seal. Pipe is £80 from Fiat but they wanted £275 for job but would gas it again free. Didn't matter as you can't buy seal without pipe so i'll source 1 myself and change it then get a re-gas for £45 at a garage i trust.

1st Kwikfit Centre had no gas but didn't bother phoning me.
Even came out with some bull that the other centres were also out.
Told me it would be next week.
Phoned Thier head office who phoned around and found another place not too far away.
Bit of a wait but their on it now.
Asked what model and engine size so doing the job right at the moment.
Fingers crossed for cold air

All done and working like a fridge.
Had to put the heat back on as it's bloody cold!
I will have to see how having the EC light off effects MPG.

Just a shame the first bloke was lying.
I told the manager of the one that did the work.
He said the other branch could have borrowed some from him.

Mines done, who's next?

I went to Kwikfit today in rutherglen started job right away, after approx 1Hr they said it wont work vacuum and leak test went perfect but machine kept cutting out at 150 something, the guy suspected his machine at fault. So i went along the road to the Budget tyre centre who are owned by Kwikfit i told guy there what happened he said machine will cut off if it does not have enough refridgerent in its tank so it is back to Budget tomorrow to try again...

I went to Kwikfit today in rutherglen started job right away, after approx 1Hr they said it wont work vacuum and leak test went perfect but machine kept cutting out at 150 something, the guy suspected his machine at fault. So i went along the road to the Budget tyre centre who are owned by Kwikfit i told guy there what happened he said machine will cut off if it does not have enough refridgerent in its tank so it is back to Budget tomorrow to try again...

Did they charge you?

Did they charge you?

No they did not.. But just back from Budget tyre/exhaust centre their machine did the full recharge cycle and charged the full £29. But i have got home and checked temps with a snapon thermometer and outside temp is 12.5c air temp from vents is 16.3c so no freezy cold for me just now:(. Went back and guy says if system has been down for any long time then it may take some days for aircon to properly come into play, also offered if no change in next week then free recharge next weekend. Oh and i have checked the compressor is switching on and off with the EC switch.. George.

Just dropped in to say that Kwik-Fit are still doing the re-gas for £29. Got my C180K booked in for tomorrow morning. I paid an extra £20 for the cleaning and deodorising service too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom