Lock Down Detailing - Anyone? :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Washed the car on Friday and preceded to hit the motorway of which every single bug seem to have honed on to my front bonnet.

After getting an earful from my uncle about it when he went past my house and saw the bug splatter. I couldn't let such slander stand.

Decided to wait until around 4:30 today so that my drive was shaded.

Carried out a 7/10 wash that i would rate myself. I really need to spend some time on those exhaust tips..

Only picture i took after. Might take some more later tonight.

U3J0wiP.jpg

My steps were.

Wheels with bucket / mitt. They weren't dirty enough to require a wheel cleaner as such.

APC Lower half.
Rinse
Snow foam
Rinse
Two Bucket
Rinse
Rinse with DI Water
Allow to dry mostly.
Dry remaining panels
Apply Gyeon Cure Hydrophobic top up.
Cleaned the glass. Mercedes kindly left lots of lube inside the door panel as they had relieved me of some money earlier that week :)

No worries buddy... I know what you mean about wax... but sadly they don't last long and seem to attract dust like nothing else Fusso is quite bad for that… what waxes are you looking at after you do a full Paint correction?

Fusso does collect quite a lot of but for a winter wax man it's good stuff.

I have been bouncing off the walls deciding what to do next it's approaching three years since my last full detail i think and i had my heart set on applying a ceramic coat this summer more for the experience than anything else but with Covid-19 i may put that off till next year as i don't really want to leave my better half for two or three days of detailing with all the kids to support.

Moving Gav raves about Zymol which i was trying to find a couple of weeks ago but no one had stock which is why i picked up a cheap old tin of Meg's mirror bright polish wax in the interim though i think that stuff would be better applied by machine to break in down.

Collinite is on the books as a good safety wax to which i mean it's tried tested and i don't have to worry to much about it's performance.

I want to trawl the websites a bit when i get the time to see if there is something new to try out though.

Any recommendations?

Tbh buddy, the majority of paste waxes attract loads of dust, the main reason being that when the panels warm the wax becomes a magnet for dust and all other contaminants. If your looking for a really durable coating that is very cost effective then I would really consisder wowo's crstal sealant. My van is coated in Fusso and its covered in dust.. It looks like I've driven through a building site.. buts its not moved in 2 weeks. The GLE that I coated 2 weeks ago hasn't been washed since, its white and there is hardly any dust on it, other than the glass. Its really easy to apply buddy, and you can top it with Wowo's contact 121 wax if you want some really good POP!!! or just maintain it with a polymer q/d, Wax planet do some very good quality waxes, Q/d and there Snow foam is seriously good stuff too, I've been using BH for years, but it dries out too fast in the summer, The Waxplanet 8 Below is about £10 more but its 3 times more cost effective with the same cleaning power..

I love waxing but I'm tending to use more poly based products now as they are far more durable and have better self cleaning abilities and far more resistant to Bird Bombs than wax too....

As for ceramic I had Gyeon can coat on my GLE for 6mnths, it works really well, and is really impressive for the price, and as its only a 1 year coating you could also consider that .. do a full decon clean, etc and that will last you till next summer when you do the paint correction.

My C63 is having a full blown Modesta coating and PPF done in a few weeks time, but you have to be accredited to get the stuff, so I'm doing all the paint prep and then its going in for the coating and PPF, by doing that its saved me £600.

Ive just ordered some Poorboys Natty`s Black paste wax, ive tried the turtle wax hybrid ceramic polish & wax but its just too greasy/oily and like you say, attracts dust like a magnet.

Tbh buddy, the majority of paste waxes attract loads of dust, the main reason being that when the panels warm the wax becomes a magnet for dust and all other contaminants. If your looking for a really durable coating that is very cost effective then I would really consisder wowo's crstal sealant. My van is coated in Fusso and its covered in dust.. It looks like I've driven through a building site.. buts its not moved in 2 weeks. The GLE that I coated 2 weeks ago hasn't been washed since, its white and there is hardly any dust on it, other than the glass. Its really easy to apply buddy, and you can top it with Wowo's contact 121 wax if you want some really good POP!!! or just maintain it with a polymer q/d, Wax planet do some very good quality waxes, Q/d and there Snow foam is seriously good stuff too, I've been using BH for years, but it dries out too fast in the summer, The Waxplanet 8 Below is about £10 more but its 3 times more cost effective with the same cleaning power..

I love waxing but I'm tending to use more poly based products now as they are far more durable and have better self cleaning abilities and far more resistant to Bird Bombs than wax too....

As for ceramic I had Gyeon can coat on my GLE for 6mnths, it works really well, and is really impressive for the price, and as its only a 1 year coating you could also consider that .. do a full decon clean, etc and that will last you till next summer when you do the paint correction.

My C63 is having a full blown Modesta coating and PPF done in a few weeks time, but you have to be accredited to get the stuff, so I'm doing all the paint prep and then its going in for the coating and PPF, by doing that its saved me £600.

Sounds great i'll look Wowo sealent today.

I have a tin of BH but like you i find it dries to quick in the summer and black shows every cloth stroke no matter how carefully and thinly i apply it.

Fusso is great definitely one of my favourite waxes but like you say it gets quite sticky in heat and not only that the heat causes paste waxes to look like someone has poured water on the bonnet after let it dry after a week which is shown more on a black car.

I have loved waxing cars since i was eight but a black car in much more challenging and has certainly made me pay attention to every aspect i just wish i had more time to fine tune things a bit.

Washed the car on Friday and preceded to hit the motorway of which every single bug seem to have honed on to my front bonnet.

After getting an earful from my uncle about it when he went past my house and saw the bug splatter. I couldn't let such slander stand.

Carried out a 7/10 wash that i would rate myself. I really need to spend some time on those exhaust tips..

U3J0wiP.jpg

My steps were.

Wheels with bucket / mitt. They weren't dirty enough to require a wheel cleaner as such.

APC Lower half.
Rinse
Snow foam
Rinse
Two Bucket
Rinse
Rinse with DI Water
Allow to dry mostly.
Dry remaining panels
Cleaned the glass. Mercedes kindly left lots of lube inside the door panel as they had relieved me of some money earlier that week :)

Looks mean!

Loving the stance on this

Reactions: AMV
Oh oh. I’m back at the top of the slippery slope. A few weeks ago I jet washed and snow foamed the pollen and dust from the cars (but no contact wash).

Then a week or so later I bought a DI vessel to soften the water. And today whilst I had one of the cars detailed I bought some Gyeon stuff to maybe do the car at home.

It’s more likely to end up in a sealed box in the garage than it is to get used. The last lot didn’t see light for 12 years until I unearthed it a few weeks ago!

Oh oh. I’m back at the top of the slippery slope. A few weeks ago I jet washed and snow foamed the pollen and dust from the cars (but no contact wash).

Then a week or so later I bought a DI vessel to soften the water. And today whilst I had one of the cars detailed I bought some Gyeon stuff to maybe do the car at home.

It’s more likely to end up in a sealed box in the garage than it is to get used. The last lot didn’t see light for 12 years until I unearthed it a few weeks ago!

Ever since i had my car detailed ceramic coated and treated with Gyeon products, its been amazing. I wash the car the majority of the time while taking it for a maintenance wash every 2/3 months to action the bits i'm either too lazy or blind to do.

Definitely recommend washing your car now its been detailled!

The fact that i use a DI vessel for the final rinse has made washing the car so much easier.

I also bought some earlier this week, Q2M Glass & Q2M Bug & Grime for the flies during the motorway runs!

I'm looking at those blowers now for the nooks and crannies.

Ever since i had my car detailed ceramic coated and treated with Gyeon products, its been amazing. I wash the car the majority of the time while taking it for a maintenance wash every 2/3 months to action the bits i'm either too lazy or blind to do.

Definitely recommend washing your car now its been detailled!

The fact that i use a DI vessel for the final rinse has made washing the car so much easier.

I also bought some earlier this week, Q2M Glass & Q2M Bug & Grime for the flies during the motorway runs!

I'm looking at those blowers now for the nooks and crannies.
Funny you say that, I’m looking at blowers too! I’ll probably get carried away, but it, and then never use it!

U3J0wiP.jpg

My steps were.

APC Lower half.
Rinse
Snow foam
Rinse
Two Bucket
Rinse
Rinse with DI Water
Allow to dry mostly.
Dry remaining panels

looks like a nice job buddy..

Reactions: AMV
take your pic buddy.. there are some many out there..

I too use DI water for my final rinse in the summer for the bodywork, but still use a damp towel with a drying aid on it to safely remove the remaining water, As for a blower.. I have a cordless Flex Blower, they are quire expensive TBH, and not powerfull enough to dry a whole car but great for engine bays, doorshuts, lights , grilles etc, Dewalt also do the same version. you can get a corded Blower for half the price with the same power but I hate dragging cables around so found the cordeless a better option.

Some more detailing and bodywork 3stage correction this week on a ford focus ST500
I upgraded my machines to the IN2 Detailing forced rotation.. what a fantastic tool!!!!! they take a little getting used too at first as the plate runs the opposite way to a std DA, twinned up with a Mini D/A for the tight intricate areas

Now this was a really bad example of a what could have been a really nice fast ford.. its 13yrs old with 100K on the clock, the paint marring, severe scratches and bad smart repairs were so bad that you could barely see the Metallic Flake in the paint. Wheels were trashed and curbed like mad, and had been touched up with a rattle can!!!! all in this one has taken me 6 days to do, with a full wheels off and interior detail, 3 stage paint correction and a coating.. again on this one they chose one of my new favourites Wowo's Crystal sealant.

thumbnail_WP_20200516_14_16_52_Pro.jpgthumbnail_WP_20200516_14_40_35_Pro.jpgthumbnail_WP_20200516_14_40_48_Pro.jpg

Now for some really bad paint pics.. before and after.

thumbnail_WP_20200516_15_26_20_Pro.jpgthumbnail_WP_20200516_15_59_16_Pro.jpg

thumbnail_WP_20200517_13_25_19_Pro.jpgthumbnail_WP_20200517_14_07_31_Pro.jpg

thumbnail_WP_20200518_11_38_56_Pro.jpgthumbnail_WP_20200518_12_35_21_Pro.jpg

thumbnail_WP_20200518_15_36_07_Pro.jpgthumbnail_WP_20200518_15_40_21_Pro.jpg

thumbnail_WP_20200519_10_20_19_Pro.jpgthumbnail_WP_20200519_10_20_27_Pro.jpgthumbnail_WP_20200519_10_20_50_Pro.jpg

now finished the paint correction.... a final wash down to remove all the polishing dust and on with the coating.

thumbnail_WP_20200520_12_49_27_Pro.jpgthumbnail_WP_20200520_12_49_50_Pro.jpgthumbnail_WP_20200520_12_49_36_Pro.jpgthumbnail_WP_20200520_12_49_59_Pro.jpg

Pls excuse the bad smart repair on the rear bumper/ wheel arch it was actually painted matt black!!!!

Thought I would share a few of mine that I did recently - quick wash (still takes 2 hours) though! I think its wearing 5 years/70k miles very well tbh.

2 bucket wash with carchem 1900:1
Snow foam - DetailedOnline Lava
Wheels - Autosmart Smart wheels 10:1, rinsed and protected with DetailedOnline Nano sealant
Tyres - Alienmagic Lucky - I really do rate this tyre dressing - soaks into the tyres and no sling whatsoever, lasts reasonably well too
Glass - DetailedOnline Glass Coat - again this is great, spray on wet glass and rinse off coating
Paint - Sonax BSD
Interior - quick extractor on the seats and carpets - artico done with dodojuice supernatural leather cleaner/sealant.

IMG-20200419-WA0004.jpeg
IMG-20200419-WA0006.jpeg
IMG_20200412_165350.jpg

Thought I would share a few of mine that I did recently - quick wash (still takes 2 hours) though! I think its wearing 5 years/70k miles very well tbh.

2 bucket wash with carchem 1900:1
Snow foam - DetailedOnline Lava
Wheels - Autosmart Smart wheels 10:1, rinsed and protected with DetailedOnline Nano sealant
Tyres - Alienmagic Lucky - I really do rate this tyre dressing - soaks into the tyres and no sling whatsoever, lasts reasonably well too
Glass - DetailedOnline Glass Coat - again this is great, spray on wet glass and rinse off coating
Paint - Sonax BSD
Interior - quick extractor on the seats and carpets - artico done with dodojuice supernatural leather cleaner/sealant.

View attachment 96851
View attachment 96852
View attachment 96853
Very nice! Gotta love a White Coupe. :cool: :) :thumb:

I know its not a Merc.. But thought i'd share some work that I've just started on another car using my new Forced rotation D/A.

forgot the before pics of these areas, but will make sure i get some before and after shots on the bonnet..

thumbnail_WP_20200526_13_07_44_Pro.jpgthumbnail_WP_20200526_13_08_17_Pro.jpgthumbnail_WP_20200526_14_49_54_Pro.jpg

please excuse the fine polishing dust specs on the panels

I think this car has been washed with a brick the paint is absolutely Shocking!!!!!!!

Before
thumbnail_WP_20200526_14_49_33_Pro swirls.jpg

After
thumbnail_WP_20200527_14_49_00_Pro.jpg

Before
thumbnail_WP_20200527_14_48_20_Proswirls.jpgthumbnail_WP_20200527_14_48_20_Proswirls.jpgthumbnail_WP_20200527_14_48_28_Proswirls.jpg

3hrs later on the bonnet
thumbnail_WP_20200527_14_48_34_Pro.jpgthumbnail_WP_20200527_14_48_53_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_WP_20200527_14_48_40_Proswirls.jpg
    thumbnail_WP_20200527_14_48_40_Proswirls.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 1
Nowt wrong with gratuitous pics, when the motors that nice! :cool: :) :thumb:
Agree with that. I do love a clean shiny black car looks sweet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom