Looking at car but no service records and more

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBhowden

Car
1993 220 CE
Hi,

I've another post below about Coupe or 190E.

I've just spoken to the chap selling the Coupe and he has no service records and only one MOT. Also wants to meet me somewhere other than where he lives, said it is difficult to find.

It's advertised on Gumtree and Retro Rides

Am I right to be suspicious?

Thanks
Rob

Thanks both, it was getting a bad feeling about it and have crossed it off the list. And to John.

Rob

A key question would be if he is indeed the person listed on the V5 as the current owner (photo ID - driving license or passport), and if so how long did he own the car?

If he can be identified as the current owner and had the car for a considerable length of time, I would still consider.

Don't just walk away, do a Hanna Barbera leg spin thingy and be gone with the wind ;)

Hi,

I've another post below about Coupe or 190E.

I've just spoken to the chap selling the Coupe and he has no service records and only one MOT. Also wants to meet me somewhere other than where he lives, said it is difficult to find.

It's advertised on Gumtree and Retro Rides

Am I right to be suspicious?

Thanks
Rob

To be fair to the guy, if I were selling my 1990 Bimmer which has no service history as I've always serviced it, there is no way on your first visit would I invite you to my house, and if that lost me a sale then so be it, things happen for a reason, however, I do have all the MOT cert's, so I would have to question why he only has the one, so yes be suspicious. .

Why would you not invite someone to see your car at your house (assuming your house is the registered keeper's address)?

I've never done any different except once when someone wanted to come and see it during the week - and then I had to show them the car at work.

Hi all, looked at three cars today. a 190E, looked liked it had a blow over spray that was now bubbling off like it was sun burnt!
An estate that was pretty rough and the Coupe mentioned above. It was in the best shape even though there are no records. Someone has clearly replaced the two front wings and made a 90% job of the spray work.

At lease one of the jacking points looks corroded and the seats do not lock, could anyone advise what the cost is likely to be to put these right?

There is corrosion under the water bottle but all other areas looked good given the age and mileage (125k)

We tentatively agreed on £1,050 but I need to do an HPI check first as the current 'owner' never bothered to change the log book.

Rob

Wait a second.

Out of the three cars you mentioned, the one everyone said walk or run away from - the one with zero SH, one MOT, no V5, not registered to the seller who won't let you know where he lives that needs welding & with the worst engine - is the one you have decided to buy.

Is that correct?

I did meet him at his house in the end and took the car out for a trial. I had the checklist from this site and went over the areas covered, only those mentioned stood out.

I agree the initial advice was to walk away but as he agreed to meet at his house (and I know it was his house as his family and kids were there as well as his van and car in the garden).

As viewed it was a better car than the other two seen and I thought worthy of serious consideration

Rob

Typically, there are more than three W201s or W124s for sale at any one time.

Why the big hurry?

I was very sceptical due to lack of service history and wasn't going to look but he rang when I was in the area so I said as long as it's at your home ok.

The car has a feel of being cared for and the underbonnet was spotless even all the insulation was in place.

As noted above the jacking points might need some attention and I would like to know how easy the seats are to fix, the do not seem to lock back in place, could it be some adjustment or greasing is needed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom