Lowering with Links

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AngryDog

Car
E60 M5
Alps suggested I go down the links route rather than STAR for lowering my E55. He sent me a link to well priced kit so I am considering going that route at the moment.

Will I need to get the alignment re-done? How much is safe to lower by? Will I still be able to raise the car if needed? Anything else I should know?

setup to desired height, make sure your happy, then get alignment done. get the MB camber bolts if not already installed.

rear camber can only be adjusted if you buy the camber arms, but I didn't and although noticeable slightly, didn't wear my inner tyres much more than the rest of it.

Thanks guys.

The kit is £79.99

Just been looking at how these fit - the fronts are a piece of cake, but whose idea was it to put the rear one above the diff? LOL

So just to be clear, you can also lower the car further then standard using star?
what are the advantages to the lower link over the star route?

^ I don't see any advantage over STAR.

I bought the lowering links before I realised the car could be lowered with STAR. Stupid me thought the only other way was the Renntech lowering module at around £500 plus fitting.

The only advantage is that if you lower with STAR you can never get it back to standard right height.

So if you lowered it by star, say by 15mm all round. It would sit 15mm lower regardless of if you use the raise button or not? Which is ok with me but what you explaining is that if you ever wanted to go back to standed even with star, you can't?

Last edited:
I'm going to lower my GL with my star and what I've found out so far is you can drop all 4 corners separately and then you get asked for an inclination angle which needs to be done with a romess machine im not sure if this is a big issue I guess not as lowering from links would pose the same problem with angles
So you can just enter the middle of the allowed angle tolerance the star tells you
Also if you write down your height and angles before starting then you can always go back to stock
Or there is a self levelling calibration option if you don't know that also brings you back to stock height

So if you lowered it by star, say by 15mm all round. It would sit 15mm lower regardless of if you use the raise button or not? Which is ok with me but what you explaining is that if you ever wanted to go back to standed even with star, you can't?

No you lower the car in star
it thinks this is the normal ride height so Every thing still works just fine

I'm going to lower my GL with my star and what I've found out so far is you can drop all 4 corners separately and then you get asked for an inclination angle which needs to be done with a romess machine im not sure if this is a big issue I guess not as lowering from links would pose the same problem with angles
So you can just enter the middle of the allowed angle tolerance the star tells you
Also if you write down your height and angles before starting then you can always go back to stock
Or there is a self levelling calibration option if you don't know that also brings you back to stock height

I've been told that once the settings are changed, it believes that the settings as it is as standard are then transferred to the settings when lowered, which is why it cannot be raised back to normal height.

Happy to be proven wrong and if the case then I'd prefer to lower with STAR than Links due to the rear Link being a PITA

on the W164 I believe have this option to re calibrate if I want to got back to stock height
my car is in paint so will have a play around next week
MOdDhrs.png

I've been told that once the settings are changed, it believes that the settings as it is as standard are then transferred to the settings when lowered, which is why it cannot be raised back to normal height.

Happy to be proven wrong and if the case then I'd prefer to lower with STAR than Links due to the rear Link being a PITA

You are basically setting the default height.

I have set my default height on the comfort setting. So whether you lower or raise the default height with STAR the raise button still functions.

I'd only want to lower sports 2. I drive in sports 2 most of the time

I have a video of how to fit the rear link - could send it over whatsapp if you want to send me your number via PM

Ok so I loweredmy GL today by around 2cm by star and every thing looks good will get it tracked some point next week as I've heard it can throw it out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom