Lowest Depreciation Cars ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All posts noted, tks.

When looking for this new 2nd hand car, it started out as a very sensible Passat TDI, then went on to a 5 series Diesel as a nicer car, was thinking 525/530/535, any looked ok for me, 530 looked like best balanced optioned, but after some research, swirle vanes and G-box(sealed for life) made me think twice if I was unlucky and had some big bills.

Then looked at the 520D (177) and it would be ok for my driving and no stories of vanes or G-box issues, job done, but still felt the 5 is a very common good car and I was sitting on the fence.

A mate suggested CLS prices now very good, the CLS is not every ones ideal car and I think it is great value at 4/5 years old, not as cheap to run as the 520D, but the cdi makes ths CLS ok for me, then I noticed the Facelift, tiny changes I know, but pre Facelift is now off the table.

Reading that the CLS is based on an E class, I looked at a couple of E class (latest model), it has five seats, great MPG/Co numbers and is pretty car, not as pretty as CLS and far more common, so I am back to CLS Facelift.

Althought happy enough to spend 25k ish on a car, I can see that buying a slightly older CLS has much better value than a Facelift, so I know that a Facelift at about two and a half/three years old will be seeing a hugh value drop in the next one or two years, then factor in the new CLS has just gone sale in the Uk, the press talking up fuel prices to £2 a litre.

Thanks for all the good suggestions on other car choices, those older more classic Mercs are very nice looking cars, but I wanted a newer car, so I will keep going looking on the MB dealer site and whenever I find a car very close on spec, I will view, if good, will prob be happy if I can get it for 11% off the sticker/book price.

My guess is many cars at a MB dealer should have between 15 to 20% margin at least, so if they want space on their forcourt, 11% reduction is a figure that may work for the dealer and me.

Cheers all.

My guess is many cars at a MB dealer should have between 15 to 20% margin at least, so if they want space on their forcourt, 11% reduction is a figure that may work for the dealer and me.

With used cars it's ££££s that matter, not percentages! :eek: :doh:

Will

A 211 E may be more common but you could spend £18k on a pretty nice newish one, and a 220cdi very reliable, and for £18k very new. Thats £7k under your budget. Keep the £7k. There will be depreciation, but you are starting from a lower price point.

Personally buy the car you wan/ and can afford to run and worry about the depreciation. Cars are not investments, they are machinery and are fun toys and/or methods of transport.

I think a £5k R129 would possibly be worth more than £5k in 5 years time, if kept in good order.

They've got to be at rock bottom of the depreciation curve. Sounds obvious but they're not making them anymore, and I think a good few will get bashed/scrapped/tattier etc between now and then.

Convertible/coupé/sporty Mercs have always been in demand as they get older, so I see no reason why the R129 SL would be any different :)

Will

Yes I agree, with all my looking around, R129 looks like the car I would pick if I wanted to make some money, I would have a lots of space, buy lots of these R129's, buy any cheaper/better value Mercs that have spares suitable for the same, get them fixed up to various degrees that work on the selling model, however, if you well set up with many fixed costs, think most would be restored to a high standard.

With fuel prices going up and so many problems in the UK, anytime now would be a great time to start buying up a load of these R129's at low prices, am sure some clever people are doing just that.

With fuel prices going up and so many problems in the UK, anytime now would be a great time to start buying up a load of these R129's at low prices, am sure some clever people are doing just that.

I thought R129 were a bit juicy, so surely they aren't the right car to have when fuel skyrockets in price.

I think a £5k R129 would possibly be worth more than £5k in 5 years time, if kept in good order.

They've got to be at rock bottom of the depreciation curve. Sounds obvious but they're not making them anymore, and I think a good few will get bashed/scrapped/tattier etc between now and then.

Convertible/coupé/sporty Mercs have always been in demand as they get older, so I see no reason why the R129 SL would be any different :)

Will

Hi Will

Yes, bad sentence from me in the original post. I was trying to suggest that whatever it will be worth I don't expect it to be less than £5k.

Although I plan to own and maintain it as though I am keeping it forever.

Jon

With used cars it's ££££s that matter, not percentages! :eek: :doh:

Will

Yes, I know.

But the spec car I'm looking at on the MB site sits at about 25K, so picking a % number of the shelf of 11 is OK.

In short the cars I've looked at that have been Ok for me, had dealer agreed to that figure of 11%, I would have a CLS now.

But with a budget in two weeks or so, fuel prices on the up and unclear where prices will average out over the coming few years, many people will be getting smaller cars, so the so called bigger cars will tend to be going on the forecourts to be sold.

Of interest, look how 4X4 took a value tumble a few years ago will all the bad press saying they were not very green and 4X4 getting labled just because they drive 4 wheels, the press forgot to mention MPG/Co numbers, terrible press standard, but it sells Newpapers.

Now look at 4X4 values after a some snow during winter, I recon some people who purchased a Tourag 2.5D at 2/3 year old in 2008 could prob sell for the same money today.

I thought R129 were a bit juicy, so surely they aren't the right car to have when fuel skyrockets in price.
Not an everyday car doing 12/14K miles per year, but as they do like a little fuel, now would be a good time to pick up some cheapies and do them up.

Yes, I know.

But the spec car I'm looking at on the MB site sits at about 25K, so picking a % number of the shelf of 11 is OK.

In short the cars I've looked at that have been Ok for me, had dealer agreed to that figure of 11%, I would have a CLS now.

But with a budget in two weeks or so, fuel prices on the up and unclear where prices will average out over the coming few years, many people will be getting smaller cars, so the so called bigger cars will tend to be going on the forecourts to be sold.

Of interest, look how 4X4 took a value tumble a few years ago will all the bad press saying they were not very green and 4X4 getting labled just because they drive 4 wheels, the press forgot to mention MPG/Co numbers, terrible press standard, but it sells Newpapers.

Now look at 4X4 values after a some snow during winter, I recon some people who purchased a Tourag 2.5D at 2/3 year old in 2008 could prob sell for the same money today.

Well in the nicest way, it's not really a car seller's problem at the end of the day. Speculating over the future of the UK economy isn't relevant to the real-world value of that car at the time of sale, it's worth whatever it is worth :eek:

All I'm trying to point out is that it's the price in £s that matters, and not some fixed discount percentage figure of 11% when you're looking at used cars.

For example - Car Giant do not accept any haggling whatsoever. The price you see is the price you pay (actually, there's an admin or sales fee on top!)

But, they operate on lower margins than some other used car dealers.

A Mercedes dealer who has a used car might have a good margin in it, and even after discounting the price by 11% could possibly be still be making a decent profit if the car was priced higher initially.

So the discount is not relevant, it's the numbers that matter. If the two cars were otherwise identical/comparable, it's the price and fringe benefits that matter (eg warranty, preperation etc)

Well that the's the way I look at it :)

But I guess in sales, many people just like to 'think' they've got a great deal, and perhaps the numbers don't matter so much afterall.

It's like whenever you've bought something, been really happy with it and then found out you could have bought it cheaper. Ignorance is bliss at times!

I have read the thread.

The answer that jumps out is a Honda Jazz for work and an SL for bestest fun.

Will,

I understand 30k minus 20% = 24k for a car.

Getting the same car with no discount from another dealer at 22K is cheaper than the example above.

But I'm trying to say, the average sticker price for the car/spec I'm looking at is about 25k, for example, buying one of these at £22,250 sound ok to me, I know its value is going off a cliff for the next 2/3 years.

11% and a £1000 worth of prep. It took me 3 days to clean the surface rust off the discs so I think they had it a while. Tax disc in the glovebox showed tax ran out dec 2010. and they didnt send it back so either it was near the end of dec or they did send the tax back and it was due June.

Although thinking about it it was serviced in Dec and then did 300 miles before it landed on the forecourt.

Will,

I understand 30k minus 20% = 24k for a car.

Getting the same car with no discount from another dealer at 22K is cheaper than the example above.

But I'm trying to say, the average sticker price for the car/spec I'm looking at is about 25k, for example, buying one of these at £22,250 sound ok to me, I know its value is going off a cliff for the next 2/3 years.

So do you want a £25k car for £22k, or a £22k car that's priced initially at £25k sold to you for £22k, that is the question :D

Sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs, but it's surprising how well some marketing and sales tactics can mask the true value of things.

If the dealers won't sell you the car you want at the prices you're offering, chances are that the offer is too low for that car, not because they don't know about fuel prices, depreciation or the economy.

Don't get me wrong, everyone likes a good deal, but there's more to car prices than tempting discounts to make a deal seem attractive.

I've bought (older!) cars for 50% of the asking price and lower, doesn't mean that they were always the best value!

He said Tesco, not Waitrose!

To be fair, I did miss the 12-14k a year bit. So my suggestion is something on my list plus a Honda Jazz

Nick Froome

i wasnt saying the OP should get a W124 as he probably wants something newer as his budget is high.

Personally, I think a W211 would be a good bet here, but lets face it anything big-engined and "premium" wont be the lowest depreciation as any new-ish car will have plenty of depreciating to do.... more you spend, more you loose.

the 300sl are value for money at around 3k non 24v.

also w124 addict, u can get them from £500 - £5000, i had 300 td bought 500 used for 4 years sold again for £500.

and w124 convertible is my tip they are poor man w111, and will not depricate but i think will positively appreciate and become a future icon classic

personally and from advise from mercedes guys mercedes pre 1996 and better w124 pre facelift are bullet proof cars and zero loss on them specially diesel estates and convertibles in IMHO

Here's a thing.

Petrol prices won't go that high

at the moment 30p for petrol + £1 tax. = 130p

If the world oil price doubled to 60p + £1 = 160p

For cars that are "depreciation proof " they have to fulfil certain criteria. :dk:

1. They have to be desirable both when they were first made and at the present day.
2. They have to have some sort of enduring kudos- style or performance, competition history or all 3.
3. They have to be produced in sufficient numbers OR built from mass produced units from other cars to keep servicing and spare parts down.
4. They have to built well from good materials in the first place.
5. Their manufacturers are still in the business of making cars.

Some random thoughts off the top of my head. Two names suggest themselves from this list---- Mercedes and AMG. :thumb:

^^I don't agree. I think Mercedes, expecially AMG ones, depreciate quite badly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom