Lycra and Manners do not seem compatible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My favourite is when the council has made a half-ar$ed attempt at creating a nice new cycle path for people so that they can tick the "look how green we are" box but don't bother to maintain it or enforce its restrictions but the Lycra brigade feel it is somehow below them to avoid the gormless, jaywalking pedestrians who also like to use it. Fixed penalties for said jaywalkers anyone ?

My favourite is when a cycle activist gets on his soap box. Sweaty jock
strap anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favourite is when a cycle activist gets on his soap box. Sweaty jock
strap anyone?

Errr......no thanks.

I don't think you'll get too many offers for it here which means you can keep it all for yourself and I'm sure you wear it well (but please spare us the photos - there's really no need, honestly).

Cannot resist the temptation to join in any longer.
I live in leafy rural Surrey, the end of the world before the Olympics and the Boris 100, now we are regularly besieged on sunny weekends with numerous leisure riders but also the many charity rides, last summer we had three separate rides on the same day and two them had over 1000 riders each. I would love to rustle up a few dozen artics and reduce their home town road speeds to a selfish crawl......
As both a motorist and a cyclist I find it amazing how many of the cyclists (whom no doubt drive and hold a licence) abandon all common sense and dress as ninjas head to toe in black, leafy lanes and shadows they are f@@@@@@ invisible. Now must be the time for insurance registration and running lights, it ain't difficult or expensive.
It is this arrogance from the few cyclists that is alienating them all.
Sorry rant over, now to walk to the pub, in the road as the pavement will be full of bikes with no lights on

Now must be the time for insurance registration and running lights, it ain't difficult or expensive.

No, I'm not going to be subjected to that because, as you put it...

It is this arrogance from the few cyclists that is alienating them all.

... few cyclists violate traffic rules.
Better would be to subject them to ASBOs - and confiscate their bicycles. Let's see them run red lights knowing CCTV or other footage will see their precious cycle taken from them.

... few cyclists violate traffic rules.
Better would be to subject them to ASBOs - and confiscate their bicycles. Let's see them run red lights knowing CCTV or other footage will see their precious cycle taken from them.

and unfortunately follow up enforcement due to the lack of registration , insurance , training and accountability requirements, becomes pie in the sky.

They want to use the road like car drivers , the minority of whom get the majority a bad name (works both ways :thumb: ) , let them be subjected to the same control measures.

Lets be honest here. At one time cars and car drivers weren't regulated. Maybe time for lycra lovers to be subject to the same ?

What knobs, I bet they drive cars as well. , and would hate it if a cyclist did it to them

It's happened!!!!

After I followed a cyclist for what seemed like ages until I could safely overtake, I finally passed , and he shouted at me

It was "thank you", I was gob smacked so shouted , "that's ok" back

It's happened!!!!

After I followed a cyclist for what seemed like ages until I could safely overtake, I finally passed , and he shouted at me

It was "thank you", I was gob smacked so shouted , "that's ok" back

It's OK, I re-balanced things earlier by asking a cyclist if he was "fcking stupid" after he filtered from his right-turn only lane into my straight-ahead only lane, on my offside at some high speed relative to traffic and inches between my bonnet and a traffic island. He was being an obnoxious prat in general perhaps as I had heard honking behind me but, I'd have been OK with an apology. You might imagine it wasn't forthcoming, instead I got a "fck off!".

With any luck, he fell off later that day and broke his legs. If not, I'm sure it's coming one day soon.

It's OK, I re-balanced things earlier by asking a cyclist if he was "fcking stupid" after he filtered from his right-turn only lane into my straight-ahead only lane, on my offside at some high speed relative to traffic and inches between my bonnet and a traffic island. He was being an obnoxious prat in general perhaps as I had heard honking behind me but, I'd have been OK with an apology. You might imagine it wasn't forthcoming, instead I got a "fck off!".

With any luck, he fell off later that day and broke his legs. If not, I'm sure it's coming one day soon.

Were you remotely surprised?

Were you remotely surprised?

Well, he needed asking as his actions would point to being brainless. I'm not precious about my commuter car at all, but I'd rather not deal with the bull**** that comes with some lycra-clad jester flung over my bonnet out of no fault of my own, that's before I consider how mangled I could have mad him.

Still, in his mind he was right, so that makes it all OK to ride like that.

This is why I mountain bike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom