• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Making it safe

Doc matt

Car
Cls63amg. Turbo d.pipes, decat, Quaife.
To cut a really long story short, we go on holiday Sunday and the only car available to go to Gatwick is my CLS. It will be left in the long stay for two weeks. The last time I parked in the long stay at BhX my new M5 was stolen.

Wifey has one of those yellow steering wheel discloks so I'm going to put that on. My question is, is there anything I can unplug underneath the dash/somewhere else that will be easy enough to do and won't cause a problem with the electrics/alarm system, etc?

Probably not the brightest idea to share low level immobilisation techniques on an open forum?

Those things are a minor inconvenience and won't stop a car from being nicked why not hire a car there/back and save the worry?

Why on earth would you risk it again???

To cut a really long story short, we go on holiday Sunday and the only car available to go to Gatwick is my CLS. It will be left in the long stay for two weeks. The last time I parked in the long stay at BhX my new M5 was stolen.

Wifey has one of those yellow steering wheel discloks so I'm going to put that on. My question is, is there anything I can unplug underneath the dash/somewhere else that will be easy enough to do and won't cause a problem with the electrics/alarm system, etc?

It won't stop them starting the car, but if someone does then they won't go far if you remove the fuses for the headlights and tailamps.

There must a fuse you can remove to stop it starting?

Steering lock or Transmission electronics fuses?

I've used APH Meet and Greet a couple of times and they've been superb - might be an idea compared to purple or similar long term car park. Another idea is to look for stay and park deals - daughter and SIL used one recently for a week in Fuertaventura, got room for the night, taxi to and from gatwick and a weeks parking for about £80 IIRC. Hotel was The Sandman at Gatwick.

The statistics of your car being stolen from an airport car park are less than your driveway but i can understand your concern given previous issues

Get a taxi , hire a car get the bus or as friend or family for help if your that concerned is never park my baby in that sewer ...!

I've never had a car stolen from the airport, but these days I tend to book a taxi there and back. - With my wife, the cost is about the same as a train (and much more convenient), and with three or more passengers it's cheaper than the train.

Pulling fuses (or pulling the leads off the ignition system) etc keeps honest people honest. - If they really want to take a car they'll find a way (even if they just lift it).

Phone Pauline on 07767 447 141 you leave your car parked at her farm, she will drop/collect you from Gatwick.

DocMatt - You are more than welcome to leave it parked in the courtyard behind my house. Overlooked from all aspects and parked in front of my garage. It's a new build estate so security are still on site and all neighbours know each other. We are 2 or 3 miles away from Gatwick. Just thought I'd offer, if it helps it helps.

Matt

DocMatt - You are more than welcome to leave it parked in the courtyard behind my house. Overlooked from all aspects and parked in front of my garage. It's a new build estate so security are still on site and all neighbours know each other. We are 2 or 3 miles away from Gatwick. Just thought I'd offer, if it helps it helps.

Matt

An example of one of the things which makes this forum great :thumb:

If you don't come back to it stolen you'll certainly come back to damage, used to have to leave my Audi at Heathrow whilst travelling with work for a week or two and no matter where I left it I always came back to a scratch, door ding, paint chip etc. The last time, I'd even parked as far away as possible, parked on the end of a row with my wheels on the hatched area so there was a good 5ft between my car and next bay... came back to a paint chip from someone's door!? 100% leave the car locked up in a garage and train/taxi/family transport since then.

My suggestions is always train or taxi. No risk of damage to the car and after a long flight (maybe) no need to drive tired...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you very much Dodd87 and Jatt for the kind offers, I had already pre paid the parking ages ago but might take your offer next time.

I took JDL60's advice and had a Ghost installed yesterday, been meaning to get one for ages so this was a good time.

Thanks again everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom