Map updates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I tried to renew the traffic service on my early 2016 212 (run out) Command system with Mercedes Me. Last year it was all fairly straight forward and I paid via PayPal. This year, the only way to pay is by credit card and you must agree to them storing your credit card details on their system That’s a big No from me so they have lost the business and I’ll use my phone instead. It all comes over as gouging the customer - not a good impression

hi I don’t mind them Hindi g my details. It just makes it easier for me to buy a service without no worry 🙏🙏

This year, the only way to pay is by credit card and you must agree to them storing your credit card details on their system That’s a big No from me so they have lost the business and I’ll use my phone instead. It all comes over as gouging the customer - not a good impression

I guess you never use Amazon or any other online ordering service?

How is it "gouging" the customer?

OMG I’ve had a Amazon prime for nearly 10 years. And if I can’t be bothered to go shopping for something I order it from my chair then open the door the next day. How’s that !!!!

I’m also an Amazon customer but all transactions are initiated by me. The Mercedes Me is open to push transactions initiated by them

And for something else to consider during your smugness “thought” time, I’ve just had an email from them saying that this is all temporary while they perform system maintenance which makes me even less likely to give them the details. Once they’ve sorted this out I might resubscribe

I’m also an Amazon customer but all transactions are initiated by me. The Mercedes Me is open to push transactions initiated by them

And for something else to consider during your smugness “thought” time, I’ve just had an email from them saying that this is all temporary while they perform system maintenance which makes me even less likely to give them the details. Once they’ve sorted this out I might resubscribe

I get that but if I can’t use it then I’ll wait for a day simple 😉

Mercedes Me is completely different from giving Mercedes your credit card details...

which "push transaction" are you referring to?..

When ordering goods or services online, you are usually given the option of either having the card details stored for future purchases, or just using your card as a one off for the current transaction.

But if it is indeed the case that Mercedes me insists on storing your card details and won't allow you to just pay with the card as a one-off and not have the details stored - then this is unacceptable (and potentially illegal under consumer protection and/or data protection legislation).

It's a one-off transaction, so they would have no justification for storing this data in the first place (if the customer is not interested in the convenience of having the card details stored for future purchases).

When ordering goods or services online, you are usually given the option of either having the card details stored for future purchases, or just using your card as a one off for the current transaction.

But if it is indeed the case that Mercedes me insists on storing your card details and won't allow you to just pay with the card as a one-off and not have the details stored - then this is unacceptable (and potentially illegal under consumer protection and/or data protection legislation).

It's a one-off transaction, so they would have no justification for storing this data in the first place (if the customer is not interested in the convenience of having the card details stored for future purchases).
When I done mine last year I paid by debit card and asked to store I said no. reason it was for 2 years. If it was a purchase for a payments etc then I’d save my details

More typically, it is web browser than "offers" to store card details, not the merchant.

IF the merchant stores them, they should be PCI DSS compliant and all data is encrypted to very specific standards

More typically, it is web browser than "offers" to store card details, not the merchant.

IF the merchant stores them, they should be PCI DSS compliant and all data is encrypted to very specific standards

Assuming MB are not using a third party payment gateway, then yes they will be PCI DSS compliant, but I think that it's the GDPR side of things that is a worry here.

I've had this reply to my query
"The payment method has to be saved to be able to make the purchase. However, you can delete your methods immediately after the purchase in the Profile settings."

confirming that the data does have to be stored and then you have do delete it

This may be temporary but it doesn't give me much confidence in the system

"The payment method has to be saved to be able to make the purchase. However, you can delete your methods immediately after the purchase in the Profile settings."

That would be a cause for concern - either someone has misinformed you or MB are nor properly PCI compliant..... I understand and share your wariness now :)

Reactions: jtr

Sounds like a case of poor design and planning on the web programmers part.

Last edited:
That would be a cause for concern - either someone has misinformed you or MB are nor properly PCI compliant..... I understand and share your wariness now :)
It is indeed the case - not misinformation. I’m not too worried now because I won’t take the subscription out. No big deal given the alternatives and £49 saved!

None of that matters when the crooks apply for a job or slip someone within these companies a few quid to download card details to them.
I would never allow any company to store my card details.

None of that matters when the crooks apply for a job or slip someone within these companies a few quid to download card details to them.
I would never allow any company to store my card details.

Personally, I don't have an issue with my cards being stored by online retailers, and yes it will be a pain if the details are stolen and I'll need to chase the card issuers for refunds (as happened before), but this is not the point.... what is paramount is that retailers do not store card details for customers who do not want it.

but this is not the point.... what is paramount is that retailers do not store card details for customers who do not want it.
It's a moot point, because the criminal gangs who infiltrate these business's do not care what the customer wants. Their sole purpose is to take your details which are then used to purchase goods or services with your money. Storing your card details just makes it easier, but more importantly, the banks etc do not want it known that this goes on as it gives them a bad name.
I've had my cards used a few times, always just after making a purchase on line, the banks like you to think that someone has got your password or pin number to commit fraud. In reality, they are already working inside the system for their own gain.

Hi all my 1st Post here

Sorry to wake up this thread yet again but it seems the most informative or is that hopefully gives me the answer I want

The following is mostly for Crewie and markjay

I have a 2015 SL63 AMG R231 with NTG 4.7 but the maps still 2015 and as its has a MB Warranty I asked Mercedes me about upgrading the map the following is their reply that's verbatum

".....Thank you for contacting Mercedes me connect, regarding our previous phone converdsation you wish to know how to update map version on your Meredes-Benz SL 63 AMG. After reviewing the specifications of the vehicle being a Head Unit NTG4.5 with COMAND (427) it is not possible to update maps manually using a computer, I apologise for the confusion as i though it was possible for that particular configuration but on a closer investigation the only possible way to update maps for that particular configuration is at your local Merceds-Benz Workshop. For your reference the map versions available for your vehicle are "EUROPE 2014/2015 V11.0" , "EUROPE 2019 V18.0" & "EUROPE 2019/2020 V19.0" and you can verify the map version on the NAvi section of the vehicle....."

Giving that to a dealership I had the following reply

".....Your car is one of the pre-facelift models. The operating system for this iteration of the car is designated NTG 4.5. The hardware design for the COMAND system was finalised around 13 years ago and has been superseded by several newer variants, including the new NTG 6.0 and 6.1 (also known as MBUX). The latest map version for systems running NTG 4.5 is the 2019/2020 release. It seems Daimler do not intend to release further map updates for systems running NTG 4.5....."

So in effect there will be no more map updates! Mercedes Me also need a spell-check:rolleyes:

The latest version is 2019/2020 so it must be based upon a map made in 2018 some 4 years ago and all the dealerships I spoke to want £160 to update the map and the car for a day. That to me is a huge amount of money for something so out of date.

I have just paid for live traffic via Mercedes me that costs £119 a year or as I paid £250 for 3 years being £83/annum. That is so expensive compared to my wife £79 for her 540i M sport x-drive (its a family traditional thing all 2 seaters soft tops are mine and all tin tops are hers but we drive both)

So I wish to buy an aftermarket map that still allows for the following
  • Live traffic
  • Shows Petrol stations
  • Lists all the nearest petrol station when low fuel comes up
I do not know if all cars of mines age do this but I get a yellow warning and a list of local petrol stations then on about the last gallon a red warning

Crewie all your old eBay links are understandably out of date and looking on the web I found MERCEDES NTG4.5 AND NTG4.7 SAT NAV MAP NAVIGATION UPDATE EUROPE 2022-2023

But when asking they if the live traffic works the only reply was "Its just a Navi Map"

So opinions please on which if any of the from the WEB ones actually work work

Hi all my 1st Post here

Sorry to wake up this thread yet again but it seems the most informative or is that hopefully gives me the answer I want

The following is mostly for Crewie and markjay

I have a 2015 SL63 AMG R231 with NTG 4.7 but the maps still 2015 and as its has a MB Warranty I asked Mercedes me about upgrading the map the following is their reply that's verbatum

".....Thank you for contacting Mercedes me connect, regarding our previous phone converdsation you wish to know how to update map version on your Meredes-Benz SL 63 AMG. After reviewing the specifications of the vehicle being a Head Unit NTG4.5 with COMAND (427) it is not possible to update maps manually using a computer, I apologise for the confusion as i though it was possible for that particular configuration but on a closer investigation the only possible way to update maps for that particular configuration is at your local Merceds-Benz Workshop. For your reference the map versions available for your vehicle are "EUROPE 2014/2015 V11.0" , "EUROPE 2019 V18.0" & "EUROPE 2019/2020 V19.0" and you can verify the map version on the NAvi section of the vehicle....."

Giving that to a dealership I had the following reply

".....Your car is one of the pre-facelift models. The operating system for this iteration of the car is designated NTG 4.5. The hardware design for the COMAND system was finalised around 13 years ago and has been superseded by several newer variants, including the new NTG 6.0 and 6.1 (also known as MBUX). The latest map version for systems running NTG 4.5 is the 2019/2020 release. It seems Daimler do not intend to release further map updates for systems running NTG 4.5....."

So in effect there will be no more map updates! Mercedes Me also need a spell-check:rolleyes:

The latest version is 2019/2020 so it must be based upon a map made in 2018 some 4 years ago and all the dealerships I spoke to want £160 to update the map and the car for a day. That to me is a huge amount of money for something so out of date.

I have just paid for live traffic via Mercedes me that costs £119 a year or as I paid £250 for 3 years being £83/annum. That is so expensive compared to my wife £79 for her 540i M sport x-drive (its a family traditional thing all 2 seaters soft tops are mine and all tin tops are hers but we drive both)

So I wish to buy an aftermarket map that still allows for the following
  • Live traffic
  • Shows Petrol stations
  • Lists all the nearest petrol station when low fuel comes up
I do not know if all cars of mines age do this but I get a yellow warning and a list of local petrol stations then on about the last gallon a red warning

Crewie all your old eBay links are understandably out of date and looking on the web I found MERCEDES NTG4.5 AND NTG4.7 SAT NAV MAP NAVIGATION UPDATE EUROPE 2022-2023

But when asking they if the live traffic works the only reply was "Its just a Navi Map"

So opinions please on which if any of the from the WEB ones actually work work
Have a read of this thread, it may help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom