Map updates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Also, it is worth noting that TMC is automatically deactivated once the TomTom Live Taffic is activated.

So if you allow the TomTom subscription expire, then the car will have neither TomTom nor TMC.

Ok everyone, I'm not sure this is the End, or the beginning of the end!! Having complained to the Head Office of the dealership, I have just had the latest Garmin map installed. It would seem that on each occasion I visited the 2 outlets of the dealership, the technicians were all under the impression that "updating" the SD card would provide the latest map updates. This is not correct, the only updates are to the firmware as confirmed earlier in this thread. The technicians have only been made aware very recently. The only way to get map updates is to buy a new SD card - I'm told they are £99 which was waived for me because of the hassle I'd experienced. The SD was installed for me & I have the empty case - A2139064307 (Version 12.0 (Map 12.0) Europe. They also pointed out that new maps come out quite regularly but I'm not bothered since I've now moved from the V8 2017!! I have also had confirmation that the operation of the Live Traffic is seperate as a subscription & is not tied to the SD card. I have searched on the internet for A2139064307 which takes you to the MB accessories site but strangely there is no way to purchase the map & it doesn't state any price!! I'm sure I've seen someone on this forum showing a list of available firmware/map versions - can anyone point me to this? Finally, I'm wondering whether using the Download Manager will firstly indicate & update the firmware, but will also tell you if there's a new map version? I presume then you would need to contact the dealer. Incidentally, my new map took nearly 12 days to arrive so I dont know where they get it from!!

How can we keep live traffic after the subscription has run out. Having done a lot of research on this I am still in the dark. Some say go to main dealer others say main dealers are no help. Some say buy an sd card off of ebay and get no traffic info so PLEASE help if you can!!!

Ok everyone, I'm not sure this is the End, or the beginning of the end!! Having complained to the Head Office of the dealership, I have just had the latest Garmin map installed. It would seem that on each occasion I visited the 2 outlets of the dealership, the technicians were all under the impression that "updating" the SD card would provide the latest map updates. This is not correct, the only updates are to the firmware as confirmed earlier in this thread. The technicians have only been made aware very recently. The only way to get map updates is to buy a new SD card - I'm told they are £99 which was waived for me because of the hassle I'd experienced. The SD was installed for me & I have the empty case - A2139064307 (Version 12.0 (Map 12.0) Europe. They also pointed out that new maps come out quite regularly but I'm not bothered since I've now moved from the V8 2017!! I have also had confirmation that the operation of the Live Traffic is seperate as a subscription & is not tied to the SD card. I have searched on the internet for A2139064307 which takes you to the MB accessories site but strangely there is no way to purchase the map & it doesn't state any price!! I'm sure I've seen someone on this forum showing a list of available firmware/map versions - can anyone point me to this? Finally, I'm wondering whether using the Download Manager will firstly indicate & update the firmware, but will also tell you if there's a new map version? I presume then you would need to contact the dealer. Incidentally, my new map took nearly 12 days to arrive so I dont know where they get it from!!
I recently updated my sd card with download manager loaded sd card in car and it only updated software. For some reason I used update manager again and this time it loaded new maps onto the sd card it went from v9 to v12 took a while to download and load to sd card but now I'm running v12 and live traffic with latest software. Now I don't know if this will will last when my 3 years is up!!

This is correct, but it only applies to cars that have the TomTom Live Traffic feature (fitted to MB cars from mid-2013 onwards).

If the car has only the basic TMC traffic service, then this is a free service (in the UK) and it never expires, and in this case there will be no 'Subscription information' option in the COMAND menu.
Mines awesome especially on a long journey also it’s great it tells u another route just like google does

Does anyone know if the map update also updates the POI's?

How can we keep live traffic after the subscription has run out. Having done a lot of research on this I am still in the dark. Some say go to main dealer others say main dealers are no help. Some say buy an sd card off of ebay and get no traffic info so PLEASE help if you can!!!

Im afraid... from my extensive research ... if you buy the car from !"the t'internet" ..you wont get Livetraffic.

Some traders say you will..I;ve gotr 2 cards..neither will.. and they say once activated in the car we cant take them back"..
bottom line,... someones making a killing in fake cards it would seem.
Weird how the s/w will up date and the maps for 3 months will as well..but no traffic..

I've asked for someone to reveal their card directory structure for me to try and understand whats missing... I'm sure its an XML file... but to no avail..

even £99 from Merc for a new "update card" (not sure how that works!) for a 3 month update window for maps that are already out of date...is a bit sad for a car in excess of 20/30/40K

Also, it is worth noting that TMC is automatically deactivated once the TomTom Live Taffic is activated.

So if you allow the TomTom subscription expire, then the car will have neither TomTom nor TMC.
Not sure if this is relevant, on the back of the SD box, it suggests that "TMC" coverage isn't supported in GB. Live traffic is.

Does anyone know if the map update also updates the POI's?
It does on the COMAND unit.

Not sure about the Audio20 with Garmin Map Pilot, but I assume it would as well.

The TomTom Live Traffic subscription is renewed online from the Mercedes Me portal. You need to create an account and register your car's VIN first.

The TomTom Live Traffic subscription is renewed online from the Mercedes Me portal. You need to create an account and register your car's VIN first.

Not if you have audio 20.
Quote:
Technical requirements
The service Live Traffic Information works with every variant of the multimedia system COMAND Online. The service is not available for Audio 20.

FAQs
The Live Traffic Information service has expired. Where can I buy it?
If you use Live Traffic Information in a Mercedes me connect-capable vehicle that has the COMAND Online multimedia system installed ex factory, then you can buy the service here in the Mercedes me connect Store.
If you use Garmin™ MAP PILOT/SD card navigation Live Traffic Information (powered by TOMTOM), the service can only be bought at a Mercedes-Benz dealer by purchasing an update SD card, including new map material, for a term of three years.
Collection Site - United Kingdom
Collection Site - United Kingdom

Unquote

The last sentence
"purchasing an update SD card, including new map material, for a term of three years." seems to suggest that by buying a new update card you can update the maps for three years.

My cheap SD card did include TOMTOM Live Traffic for three years, but only 60 day map updates, although software updates are allowed.

Sorry to drag this post back up from the depths - it's the best one I've seen where people seem to have some helpful comments posted. I'm hoping someone can help or confirm that what I'm doing is right.

I put the SD card in to my PC, via the MB Download Manager I downloaded the 'latest' software. I then put the SD card in my car. Nothing appeared any different and all software versions showing in the car were not matching the new software I'd installed. I put the SD card back in my computer and updated again which took nearly 5 hours (which I've heard is normal). All appeared to be going as expected. I put the SD card in my car again and still nothing is showing as being updated or newer than it was originally.

Is there a step I am missing that would utilise the info on the card to update the software in the car? My map menu is the old style (left image below) and I was led to believe the update would make the menu look different (see below right).

If I've done everything correctly and the menu should remain the old style (which isn't an issue) does anyone know why the new software/maps, etc. aren't showing as new 'versions' in the menu on the display. The update included a large amount of new 'voices' (Russian, Polish, Etc) but when I go to change the voice language it's only giving me four British options and no other languages (again, not a problem but it's suggesting the update isn't registering in my car).

Looking at the files on the SD card everything appears to have updated apart from several files which have a 'Last Updated' date back in 2014. I don't want to delete anything old in case it stops things working although it shouldn't be an issue as I created a back up.

Any help offered is greatly appreciated

OLD.JPG NEW.JPG

Sorry to drag this post back up from the depths - it's the best one I've seen where people seem to have some helpful comments posted. I'm hoping someone can help or confirm that what I'm doing is right.

I put the SD card in to my PC, via the MB Download Manager I downloaded the 'latest' software. I then put the SD card in my car. Nothing appeared any different and all software versions showing in the car were not matching the new software I'd installed. I put the SD card back in my computer and updated again which took nearly 5 hours (which I've heard is normal). All appeared to be going as expected. I put the SD card in my car again and still nothing is showing as being updated or newer than it was originally.

Is there a step I am missing that would utilise the info on the card to update the software in the car? My map menu is the old style (left image below) and I was led to believe the update would make the menu look different (see below right).

If I've done everything correctly and the menu should remain the old style (which isn't an issue) does anyone know why the new software/maps, etc. aren't showing as new 'versions' in the menu on the display. The update included a large amount of new 'voices' (Russian, Polish, Etc) but when I go to change the voice language it's only giving me four British options and no other languages (again, not a problem but it's suggesting the update isn't registering in my car).

Looking at the files on the SD card everything appears to have updated apart from several files which have a 'Last Updated' date back in 2014. I don't want to delete anything old in case it stops things working although it shouldn't be an issue as I created a back up.

Any help offered is greatly appreciated

View attachment 86815 View attachment 86816
Did you format the card or delete files on it.? Before you put it computer?

I didn't do anything with it apart from follow the MB Download Manager prompts. I'm not sure if that software formats it or not? But I definitely didn't do it myself or delete anything.

Well try and format the SD CARD first. (Do you know how to do it) “when plugged in computer it will only tell you there is not enough space to download”

Well try and format the SD CARD first. (Do you know how to do it) “when plugged in computer it will only tell you there is not enough space to download”

I'll give it a go and see if that works - thanks for the advice

Do not Format the card. It is locked to the vehicle. You can not update a clean formatted card. The MB download manager will only update your own card. I can only assume in your case that updating a card that is five years out of date, is possibly a step too far, and yes it should look like your picture on the right. And it sounds as if you are doing everything correctly

@PaulG85 when was your last update before the once you made today?
When you start MB-DLM you have to put your registration details, so on german boards they had also issues in the last weeks to update.
The solution to this topic was to DELETE Cookies on PC, re-start PC/Laptop and start the whole process new.

According my knowlegde and all what i have been reading in the past two months concerning MB-SD Cards for AUDIO 20 (NTG 5STAR1 and STAR2) is that, Garmin the maps provider, offers on new SD CARD 3 Years free UPDATE + 3 YEARS LIVE TRAFFIC.
So the famous 60 days begings WHEN the SD CARD is Married with the car. That means put to the SD-SLOT and recognized by the car ( Result = SD-CARD in the XML-FILE is the VIN of your car been saved) NOT BEFORE AND NOT AFTER.

To be able to get the 3 YEARS FREE UPDATE MAPS, you MUST within 60 (after marriage) install the MB-DLM and put the SD CARD to PC registring at the DLM. If Software Updates are available they will be displayed, the same for Maps Update.

Currently latest Version are:
A2189067303 Audio 20 CD, NTG5 Star1 (Maps v13)
A2139064407 Audio 20 CD, NTG5 Star2 (Maps v13)
A2139068308 Audio 20, NTG5.5 (Maps v5)

Rgds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom