• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

MB Minor damage insurance and alloy wheel insurance

RehanGLC

Car
GLC 250d AMG Line Prem Plus
Hi all. I am new to this group this week as I have just ordered a new MB GLC 250D AMG Line Prem Plus. Its due for delivery in Sept. Should I buy the Mercedes' own damage insurance and alloy wheel insurance or buy else where> I have done some research and can already get the same products as the dealer is offering me from www.leaseyournext car.com as follows:

GAP + SMART Plus Insurance Bundle
This all-rounder bundle protects you against general scrapes and dents as well as providing the must-have GAP insurance.

• Our price £17.50 per month (exc. VAT)
  • One-off purchase price £554 (exc. VAT)
  • You save £100
Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hi and Welcome.

Personal choice, in my opinion. I would simply not bother. From what I have read on here and other sites it is another PPI with claims being rejected and owners being driven potty by the long drawn out claims process.

The emergence of quality dent removal companies makes this service a high cost hassle.

Most of the "good" dent removal companies can now do "paintless" removal that is invisible at around £50 per dent. If you have more than one, they will negotiate on price. Or (as in my case) I did a job lot with my neighbours and got it down to £30 per dent. I just knocked a few doors - said he was coming out & were they interested. He did 5 cars in one day.

They now offer wheel refurbishing. This is as good as the bodywork stuff or as good as the insurers who will probably use them anyway ;ˆ)

So even if you used them twice a year (unlikely) then you are looking at £100 as opposed to £204 to the insurance. You don't have the stress of arguing your claim is valid with some call center who have been highly trained in customer avoidance and money saving techniques.

You:

Hello. I'd like to make a claim please...

Insurance Company:

Ooooooh Dear Sir. One of those type of dents? Ahhhhh.... Let me just look into this and get back to you in a couple of months time.

I have had a word with my line manager, who you are not allowed to talk to as I made him up and he doesn't exist.

Can you bring your car to our repair center in Estonia and leave it with us for six months?

No?

You think we are being unreasonable? Ohhhh Sorry Sir. If you look at page 2008, sub section 2.1.8b using a high powered telescope to enable clear sight in the fold between the pages......

Last edited:
Chip and Dent insurance is a bit of a funny one that you need to check with your main insurer.

I discovered that if you make a claim for a chip or a dent, you may be legally required to inform your main insurer that you have made a claim, and it may affect your no claims even though you have made a claim through a third party.

It's worth checking your position with your main insurer before opting for this package. If you have damage repaired by an insurer that you later don't declare, you could find your insurance null and void.

I had major issues with the minor damage insurance. They didn't haggle about coming to repair it, however I wish they did!

Repaired it to a poor standard 3 times before I refused to let let them touch it again and Mercedes agreed to repair it in their bodyshop.

Glad I didn't pay for it and it was throw in for free, otherwise I'd be eve more livid lol

If you subsequently decide not to get that cover, but still want GAP insurance, I was attracted by this for my own GLC, though I hope I never use it: https://totallossgap.co.uk/

I believe diamond cut alloys wheels, are excluded from the alloy wheel insurance, unless I have my facts muddled with other companies.

uumode said:
I believe diamond cut alloys wheels, are excluded from the alloy wheel insurance, unless I have my facts muddled with other companies.

Correct. A number of dealers still sold the policy and then had to refund.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks
As you probably know, there's much cheaper places to get these policies than your dealer. They are heavily targeted to sell such policies so I'd recommend shopping around.

I got 3 years of Replacement GAP from Frank Pickles for £150.

I was given the alloy wheel insurance complimentary when I collected my C300h last week,it should have cost £299 for 3 years and covers upto 16 refurbs and they come to your home or place of work-handy for free!:cool:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
I was given the alloy wheel insurance complimentary when I collected my C300h last week,it should have cost £299 for 3 years and covers upto 16 refurbs and they come to your home or place of work-handy for free!:cool:

If the wheels you have are those 5 spoke as in your profile pic they are diamond cut and as mentioned earlier in the thread aren't refurbishable under the MB warranty.

However there maybe a replacement claim option where you simply get a new wheel rather than refurb. But the claims for new wheels are limited to something like 4... If I remember correctly or have my facts muddled with another alloy wheel insurance.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

If the wheels you have are those 5 spoke as in your profile pic they are diamond cut and as mentioned earlier in the thread aren't refurbishable under the MB warranty.

However there maybe a replacement claim option where you simply get a new wheel rather than refurb. But the claims for new wheels are limited to something like 4... If I remember correctly or have my facts muddled with another alloy wheel insurance.

Strange as mb poole gave me the cover foc,will find out if and when I need to claim......

Wouldn't it be easier to just read policy?

http://tools.mercedes-benz.co.uk/cu...ance/teasers/alloy-wheels/mb-alloy-wheels.pdf

"The insurer will replace diamond cut alloy wheels and repair painted alloy wheels to Mercedes-Benz specifications, your wheel will be repaired on a mobile basis subject to the information provided by you to us at the time of your claim."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom