• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Mercedes-AMG Is Bringing the V8 Back to C63 and E63 by 2026: Report

C60Free

Car
'18 C63 S
A number of outlets are reporting that Mercedes are bringing back the M177 V8 as early as 2026 in the C and E 63 variants.

Personally I’ll believe it when I see it - I don’t see Mercedes doing such a massive 180 on this without losing face, especially as the 2.0. 4-cylinder underpins a number of their 35 and 45 model cars.

Thoughts?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/mercedes-amg-is-bringing-the-v8-back-to-c63-and-e63-by-2026-report

V-8 to Return to Mercedes-AMG C-Class and E-Class Models by 2026

A number of outlets are reporting that Mercedes are bringing back the M177 V8 as early as 2026 in the C and E 63 variants.

Personally I’ll believe it when I see it - I don’t see Mercedes doing such a massive 180 on this without losing face, especially as the 2.0. 4-cylinder underpins a number of their 35 and 45 model cars.

Thoughts?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/mercedes-amg-is-bringing-the-v8-back-to-c63-and-e63-by-2026-report

V-8 to Return to Mercedes-AMG C-Class and E-Class Models by 2026
I remember seeing them trumpeting the arrival of the hybrid C63 on LinkedIn and almost without exception, the comments on those posts were universally negative.

So I think it’s certainly possible they’ve looked at the feedback and thought ‘We might just have f*caked up here…’

Subeditors are write one version in the headlines.

Journalists are more circumspect in the articles:

"According to senior engineers directly involved in the matter, both the C-class and E-class need only minor bodywork changes to accommodate the twin-turbo powerplant, the PHEV battery plus electric motor, and the auxiliary equipment. Since the C- and E-class are under evaluation for a life-cycle extension beyond 2028, the hardcore AMG versions may remain in production well into the next decade."

None of this is the manufacturers' decision. The whole V8 to FourAndaBlower transition is the response to tighter regulatory standards for emissions and economy improvements.

We're getting what we voted for.

It wouldn't be the first time it's happened either, albeit in a much simpler time where regulations were concerned. Customer feedback is what prompted the introduction of the W203 C55. The V6 motivated C32 not proving a popular choice in the US and Middle East markets.

Couldn't be because BMW is sticking with their V8 TT powerplant and adding a hybrid in the new M5? also bringing it back in wagon.
Can see AMG losing a lot of sales.

I remember seeing them trumpeting the arrival of the hybrid C63 on LinkedIn and almost without exception, the comments on those posts were universally negative.

So I think it’s certainly possible they’ve looked at the feedback and thought ‘We might just have f*caked up here…’

There were a ton of negative comments on the MB-AMG YouTube videos, especially the one where they revealed the car. Though it's not unusual for the fans to spew negativity when a manufacturer shows off something different - e.g the G80 M3/M4 was slated, as are most of BMW's recent offerings (in the looks department, at least).

IMO you need your head examining to spend £80-£90k on a 4-cylinder hybrid....

I can potentially see the V8 in the E63 in the next few ywears but I would be seriously surprised if it makes it's way to the C63. Not impossible, but it seriously would surprise me if MB did backtrack. I personally don't care for a hybrid aspect due to the weight, despite the performance figures. 4wd would be interesting though.

Wow ! Could it be that someone out there actually agrees with me when I said (repeatedly) that the C63 name should have been retired when they stopped making them with a 6.2 N/A V8 engine 🤔 ?

Well I never .

As said , believe it when I see it . Not holding breath.

AMG is doomed under MB ownership. Maybe time to de-merger and produce real sports cars again. MB can call their sportier variants something else like they did in the past. Sportline, etc.

Wow ! Could it be that someone out there actually agrees with me when I said (repeatedly) that the C63 name should have been retired when they stopped making them with a 6.2 N/A V8 engine 🤔 ?

Well I never .

As said , believe it when I see it . Not holding breath.

The story isn’t that the C63 moniker is being retired, it’s about the V8 being brought back (or not as the case may be)

It’s no surprise that the return of the V8 is supposedly not happening - reverting to a V8 in the C63 would effectively undermine the whole 4-cyl range and hybrid effort from MB.

Lest anyone's forgotten:

October 2022, they announced.....

Press corner

"We got what we voted for."

Screenshot 2023-08-15 at 12.52.27.png

To all: Please dont turn this thread into a Brexit discussion thanks

Thread already here on the Ban:

AMG is doomed under MB ownership. Maybe time to de-merger and produce real sports cars again. MB can call their sportier variants something else like they did in the past. Sportline, etc.
Not sure how viable AMG would be as a standalone business. If hybrids are not a “real sports car” then you will find it increasingly difficult to find new real sports cars from other mainstream manufacturers too.

Even Lamborghini are introducing hybrid drivetrains. You’d need to go to seriously low volume manufacturers and even then it’s only a matter of time. I can recommend the Ginetta G10 if you want “real sports car”.

The factory floor in Affalterbach making the 4pot is astonishing. It’s about the most advanced engine assembly floor in existence. Huge investment. I’d be surprised if it does not continue

Yep....how will Ferrari, Lambo etc survive when it's all EV. There are already EV 4 or 5 door cars rather quicker than most of them. A big ICE engine IS what a proper sports car is all about. Will they be able to survive as heavy EV "sports cars" when their only selling point is looking pretty?

There is no chance of backtracking on the hybrid 4 cyl V8. All the messaging and noise from MB is about ZEVs and the board’s concern is how not to get eaten by China brands. Nobody is worrying about C class V8 enthusiasts. Unfortunate, and sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom