Mercedes E Class Estate - W211 or W212?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Over in Beemer Land, it's interesting how many people buy M Sports because they "handle well," only to chop them out because, in the real world, people seldom drive in "handling well" conditions. (The same is true of 45+ types dipping their toes into 911's and Ferraris)

Maybe we "just" need a handful of cars, to handle a variety of situations....

This is so true! I love going from my Alfa to the Merc and back, and also the wife's Abarth 500. They're all different and really make you appreciate the pros/cons. I used to use the Alfa as my daily driver and soon got used to the noise and sheer discomfort. But now going between the Merc and the Alfa I appreciate them both all the more!

Absolutely true. W211 - dog van/long distances/daily driver. SLK 55 - :devil:/daily driver. Chalk and Cheese...

They are both going to be great cars and I did love my 211 but the newest ones will be over 10 years old now, if they had carried on making the 211 for another 5 years it would be a no brainer but they didn't so a 212 will look and feel the newer car.

211s are old cars now.

Personally I would spend a bit more and get a newer 212 without the horrid lights and rear arches.

Over in Beemer Land, it's interesting how many people buy M Sports because they "handle well,"

Hmmmmmmmm.

Placebo effect. When I had a BMW the MSport stuff was just trim and different alloys - not suspension. The forums don't always realise this. Particularly if the sports mode firms up the steering as it leads them to think that the rest of the car has firmed up.

And the lore is that 18s and 19s make your car go better - very few people try on different rims. The only time more comppliant tyres come up tends to be the RFT vs non RFT discussions which generally conclude non-RFT is way better. Makes you wonder if somebody did a blind test between say 19s and 17s wouldn't come to a similar conclusion with the 17s.

I think that too many MBs are ruined by the AMG/M Sport sales mantra which means styling and large rims dominate. I don't think the majority of owners benefit from the large rims - quite the opposite - the cars are harsher, noiser, and more prone to perpetual kerb rash - and possibly more prone to alignment issues and wear and tear of bushes and ball joints. This is one of the reasons I suspect that the 'apparent' quality of modern MBs is a bit more suspect - they could come out of the factory just as good as they did 10+ years ago but the dominant wheel and tyre options of today's market shake them more to bits.

Dryce's comment is the A level version of the GCSE version I was telling..... that people buy "handling" but actually drive something a bit "normal."

I was thinking more BMW Motorsport GmbH M3 / M5 / M6, than 320d M Sport, but the broad point remains.

Suspension, wheel sizes, RFT's, higher performance engines... yada yada.

But you've heard that from me before.

Why not consider a x218? I love mine loads of space I think 600 litres when seat up and 1600 when down and it looks a bit different than the standard estates
510980a596d955b3c4f65a0fe6412927.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I was looking for a facelift E320 CDI for months, preferable estate, and didn't see one I was prepared to buy. My budget was £5k and upwards). Well, there was one in the running, but the snotty garage wouldn't allow any inspections and only a 5 minute test drive.
Loads are on traders forecourts with no tax. When you see one online, it looks great. You get there and it has a combination of wet footwell/spare wheel well/damp/humidity, various unwanted engine noises, fault codes, aircon problems, unmentioned body work bashes/hidden repairs that no one 'knows anything about', brand new ditchfinder pro Chinese tyres on all corners, and no service history. That's for starters.
I think if you're going s211, the most likely way to buy is waiting it out for a good forum car. Also wait for Comand NTG2.5, which has the SD slot in the centre above the big screen.

The above ended up with me buying a 212, because I just couldn't see anything coming up.

Well, would you believe it, but there is a potential semi decent s211 on Autotrader at the moment. Black, 66200 miles, leather interior (ruffled door cards), heated seats and the upgraded Comand NTG 2.5.
But.
It is 8 grand, which is more than I paid for my 3-4 year younger 212, so the buyer really must want the 211 for that money in my opinion. And it would need to withstand an up-close detailed viewing for that money.

The 211 for me all day long on looks and feel - the interior dash layout is perfect to my OCD eyes and the exterior lines flow so well - the 212 in pre-facelift form has possibly the worst designed rear quarter in any E-Class ever designed plus the interior feels a drop from the 211 with a strange seating position that I could never get comfy in (which is very rare for me)

Everything else is in the 212’s favour though - newer technology, better soundproofing etc but the biggest negative for the 211 is how hard you’ll have to look to find a very good example - the youngest is 11 years old now and the % of good cars gets lower each year.

Good grief, I did not expect quite such a volume of responses to my question, and thanks to all that answered. I have some interesting reading for the train tomorrow!

The 211 is a comfortable old-school E-class whereas the 212 feels more dynamic. Certainly comparing the 211 E55 to the 212 E63. As Mike notes though you’ve got to compare apples with apples, they do different suspension/wheel packages on both variants of E-class.

Certainly AMG wise the steering feels better on the newer model and less body roll, less sidewall on the tyres of course too (19” vs. 18”)

On the downside they’re not as comfortable around the typical potholed/speed bump covered UK roads. Don’t forget the 211 E55 rides on air all round whereas the 212 has springs/dampers up front.

You need to drive one to see for yourself really, both good in their own ways but the 212 chassis handles the power better than a 211 when pushing on :cool:

I came out of a 211 on 17s with air suspension into a 212 on 17s with air.

The main difference handling-wise is far pointer steering. Although from what I understand you may also get that in a facelift 211.

One thing I’d definitely look for though whether 211 or 212 is engine and transmission mounts. When I bought mine it felt fine to me but I had a 212 saloon as a courtesy car when mine was being serviced recently. As soon as I got to work I phoned the garage and said change all the mounts! The courtesy car was so different and lo it had recently had new mounts. The difference is astonishing, super smooth and quiet and the gear changes almost imperceptible. When stationary you could feel a slight vibration with your hand on the trans tunnel. With new mounts nothing at all.

It is one of the perennial quests in life to locate a model with decent bodywork, not many owners and decent history of servicing.

I had the same initial thoughts as several others in that the W212 was more modern but I was not too struck with its looks whereas the W211 just looks more of a proper Mercedes to me. It was not just the headlights but the interior seemed lacking and rather plain. I am only going on the ordinary models such as E320 or E350 as not looking at the AMG versions. This would definitely just be a utilitarian car and not for the odd spirited drive so the handling for a 2 ton+ estate is a bit of a moot point for my intended usage (possibly towing a bike for example). I already have an S63 so was not really looking at an E55/63 although it is tempting...

The more recent models suffer from what all new cars seem to strive, which is a huge touch screen display, ever larger alloys and more gadgets than an early James Bond car. I prefer less distractions when driving and would be quite happy if they had an option of not having a touch screen at all. Just my opinion but I see all the M Sport and AMG Line models as filling a gap where the owner really wants a proper M or AMG car.

Hmm, just read that intro back and sounds like a Swiss Tony quote! Buying a second hand Mercedes is very much like...

I have had both, and my vote is for 211 facelift. Although i would say that as i am probably selling mine...

The rear quarter or the w212 is far more up to date that the older w211 in my opinion. The shape of cars change with the times.

To call the rear quarter of the w212 pre facelift the worst design ever is rather a extreme statement to make. Totally dissagree.

On a handling front comparing my old E55K and my w212 6.3 it is miles ahead, the w212 is in a different league. Can't compare a standard w212 as I've never driven one.

Interior the w212 is more up to date and a lovely place to be in behind the wheel. It has a more modern feel for me.

I actually find the seats the most comfortable I have (ever) sat in. W212 for me.

S211 all the way!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom