Mercedes E63 Buying advice required newbie to AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is that the one that's been mapped by MSL? Looks like a good example - well serviced and good options, low mileage. Love the unusual paint option too.

Personally I think the second-hand premium for "S" models over "standard" is too high, but I guess it's rarity as well as the extras you're paying for. You can easily (and more cost-effectively) retro-fit LSD and get a remap for extra power, but the one aspect of the S I'd like, that's difficult/more expensive to upgrade is the suspension upgrades they had (I think?).
Thanks for the reply and yes that’s the one it looks lovely and really caught my eye and I was willing to spend more for the nice spec with the paint etc unfortunately I’ve been sent a personalised video this morning showing the car in more detail and pointing to a few issues with the alloys and tyres etc also a few scratches here and there on the paintwork and also a small bit of damage to the rear bumper and diffuser so for that reason and the £33k price tag I think I’m going to leave it 😔

I just think for the money they are asking I can get a newer car with less mileage in better condition yes it might not be a e63s but a normal e63 with a MSL map and LSD will be just as good for much less money which is such a shame as I love the paint work. Unless you think I’m being to fussy ? I know it’s a 7 year old car etc but for £33k I would expect the car to be In better condition like I’ve seen elsewhere where at a much cheaper price

Im very funny and a stickler for things to be right like for instance it has miss matched tyres with a bit of tyre wall damage that’s my OCD going through the roof I’d need them all matching 😂 also the alloys needing a referb etc and the body work needs slight attention all this needs to be budgeted for and at a high cost being a mercedes so I think I’ll just pass and keep looking

I would like your thoughts though ? Thanks again to everyone who has helped so far I’m really grateful

Thanks for the reply and yes that’s the one it looks lovely and really caught my eye and I was willing to spend more for the nice spec with the paint etc unfortunately I’ve been sent a personalised video this morning showing the car in more detail and pointing to a few issues with the alloys and tyres etc also a few scratches here and there on the paintwork and also a small bit of damage to the rear bumper and diffuser so for that reason and the £33k price tag I think I’m going to leave it 😔

I just think for the money they are asking I can get a newer car with less mileage in better condition yes it might not be a e63s but a normal e63 with a MSL map and LSD will be just as good for much less money which is such a shame as I love the paint work. Unless you think I’m being to fussy ? I know it’s a 7 year old car etc but for £33k I would expect the car to be In better condition like I’ve seen elsewhere where at a much cheaper price

Im very funny and a stickler for things to be right like for instance it has miss matched tyres with a bit of tyre wall damage that’s my OCD going through the roof I’d need them all matching 😂 also the alloys needing a referb etc and the body work needs slight attention all this needs to be budgeted for and at a high cost being a mercedes so I think I’ll just pass and keep looking

I would like your thoughts though ? Thanks again to everyone who has helped so far I’m really grateful

That is a shame, does look lovely.

I don't think you're being fussy at all. One would expect some minor stone chips, very slightly worn leather, etc. on a car of that age, but there are many very well looked after E63's, so I wouldn't compromise on condition if it were me. I was prepared to accept some minor cosmetic damage/wear on mine, but the combination of tyres, wheels, scratches, diffuser/bumper damage would all add up to me to say not so well looked after (despite service record, etc.). Pretty sure you could find one in near-mint condition for much less money than that (non-S, of course).

I think your being very wise the thing is photos lie and as we can't really view at the moment i would probably wait imo 1 will come up its just a waiting game 😀

£33k is pretty steep for a 2014, even with the S badge. It should be perfect for that money.
Wise move to leave it if it has a few issues with tyres/alloys and bodywork.
As mentioned, an MSL remap and LSD will bring the engine spec beyond a stock 63s easily.
The S is nice to have for its rarity but I wouldn't get hung up on finding just an S. You could be searching for a while otherwise.

Or make a offer that reflects the spend required to get it up to spec.

£33k is pretty steep for a 2014, even with the S badge. It should be perfect for that money.
Wise move to leave it if it has a few issues with tyres/alloys and bodywork.
As mentioned, an MSL remap and LSD will bring the engine spec beyond a stock 63s easily.
The S is nice to have for its rarity but I wouldn't get hung up on finding just an S. You could be searching for a while otherwise.
Thanks mate yea I personally thought it was pretty steep for the year and also with not many additional options either other than the 360 camera and the rear electric blind (not sure if they all have that feature ?) And I definitely would have thought it would be in perfect condition for the money they were asking.

I replied saying that I would not be going ahead any further due to the above issues and the price that they were asking for the car when there is lots of others for sale in better condition for far less money and newer they replied saying the marks etc are representative of a 7 year old car but they could look to sorting the alloys out to gain the sale.

I have again replied to say no thank you so thats the end of that and back to the drawing board

I genuinely wasn’t looking for a e63S and was intent on a standard E63 with the view to go to MSL for a remap and the LSD its only the colour that swayed me towards this one and it was a bonus being a S but as you stated I don’t think this car is worth a extra £5-8k more than some other e63 cars listed on autotrader with less miles and newer

I personally would like a non modified one so I can do everything myself I’m quite looking forward to going to MSL for the work instead of having a car with it all done for me if that makes sense

its only the colour that swayed me towards this one
Assuming I looked at the correct ad, it was in a magno (matte) colour?

If I’m correct and you're intending to use the car rather than have a garage queen, I'd say you’ve dodged a bullet. The magno paint can look great, but it’s harder to touch up than a regular gloss finish, and you can't polish out minor marks and scuffs.

There were other much nicer examples for similar or less money, and as has already been said, the “S” badge is not worth that level of premium for a less than immaculate example.

Oh really that’s great to know thank you no wonder they didn’t mention sorting out the scratches then sound like I’ve definitely avoided one there on the paint 👍

If the alloys that needed a refurb were the 10 spoke black ones with silver lip, you'd lose the silver lip with a refurb.
To me that is what makes them look good. All black don't do it for me.

If the alloys that needed a refurb were the 10 spoke black ones with silver lip, you'd lose the silver lip with a refurb.
To me that is what makes them look good. All black don't do it for me.
Yes they are the 10 spoke ones with the silver lip glad you said that it’s good to know for the future 👍 Thank you

W
Morning guys just a quick one I’ve found a car i like from a used car dealer it’s a 2014 e63s would anyone be able to confirm if the service history and dates look correct please ? I’ve listed them below also where would be the best place to get a value of the car ? Personally i think what they are asking for is on the high side compared to others a year newer with less miles but with it being the e63s i know you pay a premium etc so would like some advice please if possible thank you

ALL SERVICES CARRIED OUT AT MERCEDES DIRECTLY

22/08/2015 – 8243 Miles – A service

02/12/2016 – 19133 Miles – B service

21/12/2017 – 23717 Miles - A Service

18/1/2019 – 26439 Miles – B Service

18/11/2019 – 28404 Miles – A Service

23/02/2021 – 33689 – B Service

£3k spent on the service 3 weeks ago including discs and pads all round
When you find another car, find out which additional service operations were performed - begin Service A and B there are additional items which are age and/or mileage dependent and these are often skipped.

W

When you find another car, find out which additional service operations were performed - begin Service A and B there are additional items which are age and/or mileage dependent and these are often skipped.
Thank you very much appreciate the advice

Morning guys still on the hunt 😩 Have been talking to a private seller on a 2016 e63s night edition with the mileage at around 46k.

Has a full Mercedes service history and still has just under a years Mercedes warranty remaining which is a bonus.

From looking at the service history it’s not had a gearbox service and asking the seller he said he doesn’t believe it’s had one and Mercedes have said it’s not due ? Is that correct I would have thought it should have had one by now if not by mileage but by age ?

The alloys also need a referb so all this needs to be taken into account before I make a offer and start doing some proper checks on the car

From looking at the service history it’s not had a gearbox service and asking the seller he said he doesn’t believe it’s had one and Mercedes have said it’s not due ?
According to the service schedule, transmission oil & filter change is a once only affair, due at 3 years or 31,000 miles. BTW, as an "S" model it should have the rear diff oil changed at 31,000 mile / 3 year intervals too (not just once, it repeats at those intervals).

If the service history is complete other than a transmission oil & filter change that would not put me off a car that is otherwise sound. It is a price bargaining lever though.

According to the service schedule, transmission oil & filter change is a once only affair, due at 3 years or 31,000 miles. BTW, as an "S" model it should have the rear diff oil changed at 31,000 mile / 3 year intervals too (not just once, it repeats at those intervals).

If the service history is complete other than a transmission oil & filter change that would not put me off a car that is otherwise sound. It is a price bargaining lever though.
Thank you 😊 From looking at the history it shows under additional work that the Rear axle had a oil change in May 2017 at 8k miles

Its had 4 services in total all at Mercedes the last service was a B in July 2020 at 39k

So it’s def going to need a gearbox service and a rear diff oil change and am I right in saying it’s going to need another service very soon ? All definitely a price leverage though so thank you 😊

it’s listed at £33k and he has said his bottom price is £31.5k but that was before I found out about this information from yourself

Would you say it’s priced correctly from a private seller with the stuff it needs ? Also is the Mercedes warranty transferable to the new buyer ?

Thanks again

From looking at the history it shows under additional work that the Rear axle had a oil change in May 2017 at 8k miles
The AMG Locking Diff gets a "complimentary" oil change at 2,000 miles, but many owners didn't get it done until later, often at the first service. I wouldn't worry about that.
So it’s def going to need a gearbox service and a rear diff oil change and am I right in saying it’s going to need another service very soon ?
From what you've said, I would have expected the transmission oil and filter change to have been carried out either in 2019 or 2020. If it definitely wasn't done, then it's due. The diff should have had a further oil change too, so that should be on the "to do" list if it definitely hasn't happened.

It will need another service in July this year.
Would you say it’s priced correctly from a private seller with the stuff it needs ?
As I've said before, the "S" model attracts a premium over standard cars (often a bigger premium than I personally think justified, but that's just my opinion). A wheel refurb is going to cost something around £120 a corner, the transmission oil and filter around £300 if done by a main dealer, and the diff oil change (I'm guessing) around £100. Only you can decide if the price is reasonable bearing in mind any options on the car and its general condition (including tyres and brakes). The warranty is certainly worth a premium and will add peace of mind.
Also is the Mercedes warranty transferable to the new buyer ?
It always has been, but a quick call to MB Customer Care in Milton Keynes will confirm.

The AMG Locking Diff gets a "complimentary" oil change at 2,000 miles, but many owners didn't get it done until later, often at the first service. I wouldn't worry about that.

From what you've said, I would have expected the transmission oil and filter change to have been carried out either in 2019 or 2020. If it definitely wasn't done, then it's due. The diff should have had a further oil change too, so that should be on the "to do" list if it definitely hasn't happened.

It will need another service in July this year.

As I've said before, the "S" model attracts a premium over standard cars (often a bigger premium than I personally think justified, but that's just my opinion). A wheel refurb is going to cost something around £120 a corner, the transmission oil and filter around £300 if done by a main dealer, and the diff oil change (I'm guessing) around £100. Only you can decide if the price is reasonable bearing in mind any options on the car and its general condition (including tyres and brakes). The warranty is certainly worth a premium and will add peace of mind.

It always has been, but a quick call to MB Customer Care in Milton Keynes will confirm.
Very informative as usual thank you 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom