• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Mercedes parts fix

optimusprime

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes W124 260E M103
Well i have been had again . But no more . Purchased a Mercedes power teering filter,And i buy Mercedes every time i need a part.
But this is changing for me after this episode . I needed this power steering filter for my W124 .As usual ,. so i went genuine MB part from a well known MB dealers . Ordered it, it came ,i took it out of the Mercedes box ,,,and know what it is DSC06917.JPGa MANN filter ,. And Mnnn filters are 1/2 the price on Ebay ..done and shafted ..DSC06919.JPG

I see... but the Mann filters catalogue is available online, why not just check the Mann Part Number for your car and order that? This applies by the way to any item manufactured for MB, the OE manufacturer will have an online catalogue and you can simply choose the right part for your car: Mann, Bosch, Knecht, Sachs, Pagid, etc etc ....... that been said, it's not the end of the world, you paid a bit more, but you have the part you need.

Simple............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mercedes do not make filters and lots of other stuff that goes into our cars.

Markjay Why ,,,because i wanted a genuine mercedes pas filter

OK, fine, so now you have one. Good result, no?

For the record, I used to buy Genuine MB spark plugs for my W203. Made me feel good, even though I knew no one will ever see the star logo under the HT coil boot..........

Mann are perfectly good filters and OE in loads of cars. Have a look at your brake parts, they’ll probably have Brembo, TRW, Textar or all sorts of manufacturers marks on them. I’ve had genuine JLR parts and they too are marked by the manufacturer. Save yourself some money and just order these OE bits if you’re going to be fitting them yourself.

My argument is, that i hate to buy from the dealers, a part for my car, only to find i could buy it cheaper on Ebay ..I have a Mann filter in the pas pump now . All your paying for is the name on the carton .

Don't buy much stuff from dealers apart from important stuff. Lemforder, Brembo Etc come from Autodoc. New thermostat housing is genuine MB but made buy someone else. At the end of the day it is all made by someone else.

I go good used genuine Mercedes parts,, rather than any new aftermartket . Other than every part in the HT system are Bosch or Beru . Inectors are Bosch.

Last edited:
One of the reasons that part numbers get updated on Mercs is because they find someone else cheaper to make them!

Exactly......Mercedes hardly make anything themselves.......just like all the other makers. They just assemble the cars. When they need a part they ask all the makers they have relationships with to design a part to the required specs.....and then they buy....probably from the cheapest source that can meet the spec! Anyone who thinks that buying from the dealer will get them better quality parts needs their bumps felt!! In fact certain parts like brake pads and filters sometimes the reverse can be true.

HT system are Bosch or Beru .

Some say that MB Bosch is superior to Bosch. Both made in Spain. I had NGK leads and didn't like the way they fitted to the plugs. No satisfying click as they were installed. So I bought a set of Beru leads as my ancient Beru leads were very good. These new Berus were worse than the NGKs.

Finally, I got a set made up by MB in Bochum and these installed with a very satisfying click and inspire confidence. The suppressors and terminals are made by Bosch in Spain. Quietly confident now.

A Bosch distributor cap fitted by some cowboys in France was cracking around the centre electrode after less than a year. Now replaced with an MB Bosch. Both made in Spain.

RayH

There are so many copies of Mercedes spare parts coming over from China ..Sellers know this , and buy loads of them .The copys are like originals , even down to the Mercedes box and the part number . You dont know until you try to fit them.

My problem was with a set of Bosch plug leads . The same problem you had , the plug holders felt slack,, and on fitting one of them , the circular spring shot off and went walk about. Then the leads just poped out of distributor cap . I purchased the HT lead set from a reputable parts seller in B./ham without naming them .
Right away i messaged Bosch in Germany . Soon after i had a this email from Bosch . So i explained to them about the leads .And they told me they were copies .Told me what to look for on the boxes of genuine Bosch parts . Then Bosch asked me to provide pictures ,along with the name and address of the seller in Birmingham . And after some time they no longer sold parts on line . But i see now 5 years later , they are back selling again . Had the same problem with Bosch air filter, and oil filter from Ebay . Later that week when they were delivered, i found out the parts were made in SouthAfrica this started bells ringing in my head ,along with no silver holograme seals on the boxes . But after i messaged Bosch, once again they asked me for pictures of both filters and said they looked fine to them. As they did have a factory making parts for them in South Africa .

Setting aside counterfeit parts... if an OE manufacturer have their own part number stamped on the product next to the MB part number, then you can rest assured that if the manufacturer also sells this part independently - with their own part number but without the MB logo and MB part number - then that part will be identical to the genuine MB part. Guaranteed (I have contracted for a tier-1 automotive manufacturer for 15 years). OE manufacturers simply don't produce two different parts with the same part number - this just does not happen.

The issue arises when there's no clear manufacturer's part number displayed next to the MB part number, or when the OE manufacturer sells identical-looking items but with different manufacturer's part numbers. In these circumstances, there's simply no way of knowing if the MB-branded part is indeed manufactured to the same spec as the non-MB part.

As an example, Varta sells batteries under its own brand, but there's no way of telling if the Varta-branded batteries are actually made to the same spec as the MB-branded Varta-made batteries.

In the OP's case, if he purchased a Mann filter with the part number 'H85' and without the MB part number and the MB logo, he would have purchased an identical unit to the one marketed by MB.

Ray Two years ago I migrated over to Beru for my HT leads and spark plugs . After the Bosch problem i had . But i used Bosch distributor cap , and rotor arm . Reason i did this was that the Beru caps dont have the protective covers on them . And i found Beru to be as good as Bosch .I think you need to be 100% sure they are Bosch with the silver seal on the boxes its like the line in our bank notes very hard to cloone the seals . The parts depot i use now is a Bosch genuine service center .

And i found Beru to be as good as Bosch .I think you need to be 100% sure they are Bosch with the silver seal on the boxes its like the line in our bank notes very hard to cloone the seals .

My HT system is now 100% MB. The distributor cap and rotor and the leads appear to be Bosch MB - they were made up and supplied to me by MB in Bochum. The plugs are Beru MB.

Just to clarify; old Beru leads were great. New NGK and Beru not so. MB inspire confidence.

R

My argument is, that i hate to buy from the dealers, a part for my car, only to find i could buy it cheaper on Ebay ..I have a Mann filter in the pas pump now . All your paying for is the name on the carton .
This is correct and always has been the case; not just with MB but with all manufacturers. You are also paying a premium to make sure that you have the correct part that will definitely fit and will be to the original specification. Before you handed your money over to MB you did not know that the filter is a Mann H85 - now you do.
The same thing applies to just about everything else on the car - the radiator will probably be Behr, the oil filter Mann or Mahle or Hengst, ditto the air filter, the brake discs ATE .......,

I don't have a problem using well-respected brands, ie. Mann, Hengst, Mahle etc. but I am wary about purchasing online from unknown sellers, so I tend to use well-known motor factors, suppliers that I know or MB dealers, either in-person or online.

Tony i think like you All of my new Mercedes parts are through Mercedes Benz Newcastle ..They have a shop on Ebay i just message them through - ask the -seller a question . Then Michael , Luke or Kieran will list it on Ebay .And then sends you the listing number .

For the record, I used to buy Genuine MB spark plugs for my W203. Made me feel good, even though I knew no one will ever see the star logo under the HT coil boot..........

There was no technical reason to use MB plugs back then but there might be now. The suggestion is that MB direct injection engines need genuine plugs to ensure the indexing is correct so that the spark gap is opposite the injector + or - 45 deg. You could though achieve the same end using other plugs and with indexing washers. It is further suggested that getting it wrong could melt a piston. Technical service bulletin attached.

Indexing Spark Plugs | Engine

Attachments

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom