• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Mercedes parts fix

The last time I bought a so called "genuine part" in a franchised dealers parts department was about 10 years ago to get injector pump seals for my 270 diesel engined Jeep.....and that was only because I could not get them anywhere elses.....but all my other cars (inc 3 Mercs and numerous other marques) have had nothing but either local factor parts or online parts. Never had a cheaper part fail early. I think getting parts from Mercedes achieves one thing only....making you poorer. Paying more for, what is often, exactly the same part in a Mercedes box?....complete madness unless you have more cash than sense.

But as said....many of the aftermarket parts are the same parts. I have been known to buy original used parts....especially parts that don't wear out. For example got a cracking deal on a parcel shelf for the A Class....I didn't even dare ask the dealer price!..... and that's the sort of part you won't find aftermarket.

There was no technical reason to use MB plugs back then but there might be now. The suggestion is that MB direct injection engines need genuine plugs to ensure the indexing is correct so that the spark gap is opposite the injector + or - 45 deg. You could though achieve the same end using other plugs and with indexing washers. It is further suggested that getting it wrong could melt a piston. Technical service bulletin attached.

Indexing Spark Plugs | Engine

In my particular case, the MB-branded spark plug also had the NGK logo and NGK part number stamped on them, and I am certain that had I bought these plugs with the same NGK part number from an NGK reseller, I would have received the exact same item. But, again, the above only applies in those cases where you can identify the OE manufacturer's part number on the MB-branded part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom