Mercedes W114 250 Coupe - help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
He and Ed of Fusion Motorsports (the latter doing the mapping) the former driving the bus.

Briefing and tuning file just gone off to him. I really hope my hopes won't be dashed this time round.

Alleluia! First run showed 50bhp, which isn't quite what it should have been. Much shaking of heads, concerns that the cam chain was out, air blockage. Then he checked manifold pressures, had a fiddle and instantly found another 72bhp. The timing had been retarded by 20 in the MS setup which Northampton MS had either done or not spotted. By the end of the session, we were up to 133bhp but torque cover almost completely flat. So a bit off from where it supposedly started from 47 years ago, but a complete transformation to drive. Revvy, torquey and very nicely tractable. So much so that the slowcoaches that curse our modern highways seriously peed me off on the way home. Lovely. Full marks to Ed at Fusion Motorsports and Charlie at Surrey Rolling Road. I can't describe how happy I am.

Last edited:
Excellent news.

I was hoping you would find a swift resolution to the problem.

You deserve to enjoy this car for (hopefully) many years to come after the attention and effort you and others under your direction have put into the resurrection!

Nicely put. I've hated the last year with the issues unresolved but now it finally feels that I can start to use it for the purpose I want for it. Now to get all the chrome finished off over the winter!

It had to be timing (in this case, badly set up MS chip), having had all the mechanicals checked endlessly by serious mechanics until there could be no issue. The big frustration was having to rely upon others to resolve it. The fuelling map was spot on - but then that was lifted from my SM!

An interesting side effect of the retardation - the engine temperature fell by 8 degrees C when that was sorted. I thought I was getting a bit hot on the drive down.

Charles. Wooohoo. What a relief. Made up for you here Sir. I know what this means for you and picture that grin from here. Will we get to see you both at the October bash?

Great news. Hopefully it will provide many happy years of driving.

By the by - the images attached to earlier posts are not showing. That will be a real shame as they add to a great read.

Charles. We look forward to this. Mrs M. May desire a quick spin.

I need to update this. She has escalated from "desire" to "demand". Charles, as the owner and driver, you could of course, simply say no to her. Good luck with that...

Well, if we both get there with still functioning cars, I'll be very happy to take her for a drive (it not being an 80s BMW, it doesn't spin...).

Off for a drive, sun is out and autumn's a great time to get into a classic.

Just back from a nice 100 mile (ish) round trip. I've done it before so I know the distance, which is good as the odometer doesn't work at present. So no idea of MPG. It also helps a lot when considering braking and handling for the car to have tyres at the correct pressure. I'd rather forgotten yesterday. In no particular order it has a few obvious things - at 70mph (assuming the speedo is correct - might not be with bigger wheels) the engine is noticeable (tappets, low geared diff and much less soundproofing than a modern car). There's a bit of obvious weight transfer under braking and the engine belts make a bit of noise. All to be expected. However, she pulls beautifully all the way through the box, even in fifth (the flip side of the 3.96 final ratio) and the tractability is lovely. With tyres at the right pressure, she rides well and is very comfortable, once I'd rethought my seating position. But lovely, a joy to drive and be in.

What October bash and where ?

photo.php
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....1666942987387.192709.1051671472&type=3[/IMG]

Right, not sure about the image implantation then.

Having adjusted my seating position, I have come to the conclusion that she's the nearest thing to driving a comfy old sofa you can find. Soft ride even with the lowering springs and heavy duty shocks, but cornering is surprisingly good. I've got the bug big time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom