Milky Residue (ohh err)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lotusmark2

MB Enthusiast
Car
Fiat 500, Mercedes B200
I noticed last week that I had a small amout of yellow/white residue under my oil filler cap so thought Ah! do I have a head gaskett problem. I wiped it clean and again a week later it is back again. This is not thick sludge or even that much, it is very thin and swirled in with the small amount of oil that is on the underside of the cap.
I went to the MB this morning and they have said that it is normal for the 202 petrol cars to have this as it is caused by a small amount of condensation forming under the cap. Your opinions please, can people have a look at their under sides :) .
Cheers
Mark

Mark,

The dealer is correct, its nothing to worry about. In this sort of weather the (hot) engine will cool relatively quickly and condensation will form in places like the oil filler cap.

Cheers,

Greg

Thanks Greg
Had visions of my old Capri, very large plume of smoke from the rear as the head gassket waved by by.
:D

lotusmark2 said:
Your opinions please, can people have a look at their under sides :) .
Cheers
Mark
I would look for you but I don't have my car atm, however, I can tell you that your car is infintely better than an S reg Polo saloon :p

If you want I'll have a look-see when I get the car back.

S.

Steve_Perry said:
I would look for you but I don't have my car atm, however, I can tell you that your car is infintely better than an S reg Polo saloon :p

If you want I'll have a look-see when I get the car back.

S.

Better than green cars to :D
Thanks Steve

lotusmark2 said:
I noticed last week that I had a small amout of yellow/white residue under my oil filler cap so thought Ah! do I have a head gaskett problem. I wiped it clean and again a week later it is back again. This is not thick sludge or even that much, it is very thin and swirled in with the small amount of oil that is on the underside of the cap.
I went to the MB this morning and they have said that it is normal for the 202 petrol cars to have this as it is caused by a small amount of condensation forming under the cap. Your opinions please, can people have a look at their under sides :) .
Cheers
Mark
Do you do lots of short journeys-this will tend to form the "mayonaise"that you describe if the engine does not reach a high enough temp to burn condensation off,allthough it sounds a lot better than the Honda**500 i had once with a knackered water pump,that turned the oil to a sludgy,grey,gelatinous,frothy mush(still went on to do 145,000m though!)

Last edited:
An old trick I remember doing was when the weather was very cold (winter)I put silver foil over half to three quarters of the radiator.It warmed up a lot quicker but i only used to do short journeys of about 5 miles at a time.

esox said:
Do you do lots of short journeys-this will tend to form the "mayonaise"that you describe if the engine does not reach a high enough temp to burn condensation off,allthough it sounds a lot better than the Honda**500 i had once with a knackered water pump,that turned the oil to a sludgy,grey,gelatinous,frothy mush(still went on to do 145,00m though!)

I do a mix of 5 min and 45min runs to sounds like the short bits are causing it (it is only a very small amount)
Thanks guys (putting my mind at rest :D )

lotusmark2 said:
Better than green cars to :D
And pray tell me whats wrong with green cars?? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom