• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

ML 350 (W163) squealing brakes and warning triangle.

bobsp

Car
ML350
I have a 2005 ML350, and last night the brakes started squealing just before coming to a stop.
Today the squealing is still there but sat at 70 and every now and then the yellow warning triangle comes on with the exclaimation mark comes on, no reason, driving in a straight line....

A few times it felt like the power went for a second or two. One time I had cruise on and when the triangle flashed cruise stopped.

Are they somehow linked? Seems strange that it is when the squealing brakes started... Has been fine up untillast night...

Could be low brake pad warning or a bit of grit but check the pad thicknesses, they may need replacing.

Well I checked the brake pads this morning, all fine. Drove in, and there was no squealing, so I guess with all the rain iy has moved whatever was there. No warning issues either..

Your ML uses the brake system as part of the 4WD system and the brakes also pay a large part in the car's stability system. If sensors tell the stability control ECU there's something wrong then it will apply the brakes selectively at each wheel to stabilise the car with no driver intervention. Faulty sensors, electrical shorts, cross winds, under inflated tyres could all give rise to such conditions. Sounds as if your car has suffered a temporary glitch but things have returned to normal now. ML's tend to wear out their discs/pads - PARTICULARLY the rears for that very reason. Its a big top heavy car which is pleasant to drive. This is due a brake system quietly working overtime in the background to make it that way.

Thanks grober, I will check the tyre pressure, brakes are fine. I will get the sensors checked if this happens again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom