• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

ml270 2002 missing, lumpy and smoky

My1stmerc

Car
ml270
Hi everyone had my 2002 ml270 for a month now and it's needed quite a lot of work so far which I expected for the price I paid for the car. Work I've done so far is new fuel lines, brake servo, and removed the swirl flaps from inlet manifold (what a job!!!) Engine oil and filter, gearbox oil and filter, fuel filter and coolant.
Right now the problem.
The car was running at about 60 degrees C so because mainly of the poor fuel economy I changed the thermostat to a circoli one. Temp started to rise but not enough to open thermostat so I could refill rest of coolant I took out. I took it for a spin and it was driving very smooth but quickily got hot to about 90 degrees which I expected but then it started to smoke grey white smoke and engine was rough so I pulled over to refill the coolant. That was a couple of days ago and it is still the same. Starts fine idles rough and when accelerating it smokes mainly grey/white sometimes black also. It sounds like it's missing when revved to about 1200 revs but gets a bit smoother when revved higher. It doesn't seem to go into limp mode but struggles reaching any higher speed. I think it's been running cold for some time and not been heating the engine enough to burn all the crap away that accumulates. Now it has and ruined my injectors or turbo. I don't know but I'm pulling my hair out now and hope someone can help. It has had the black death and has hard tar round the injectors which I am currently cleaning away to get the injectors out to swap seals but I am also struggling getting them out. They do not look like they are blowing now. I have done a leak off test cylinders 4 and 5 were low and even but 1,2 and 3 were almost double the amount of fuel but quite even. Just trying to give everyone the background with the car so sorry for the novel. Thanks in advance for any help given.:confused::confused:

Impressive amount of work you've done so far.
No point guessing what's wrong until you've sorted the injectors out - if there's black death it won't have gone away on it's own.
Have you done the EGR Delete? One less item to suspect then.
I'd have suspected something not put back right after the swirl flaps removal and new fuel lines, but you say it was driving very smoothly after that work, then started to get poorly?
Michael

Thanks for the reply Michael8554. It was running fine after the swirl flap removal. That was about two weeks ago. Haven't done the egr delete. Just got the injector puller today and have taken 3 injectors out and found injector 1? (nearest the front of the car) has a split in the casing near the bottom, hopefully this is the problem. Does anyone know if I have to have a recon injector coded? I have read somewhere not for this age car. (Can I just buy the casing? Or is it not that simple)

Thanks again and sorted now touch wood. Injector 1? nearest front of the car had a 1" crack in the lower half. Replaced it with recon injector and seals on 2 more of the injectors got 2 to do. Drives perfect now. A little smoke first off but now clear. The injector which was cracked was pitted and worn compared to the other ones. I think this will be down to blowing seals and black death then being ignored. After changing the thermostat and the engine started to reach a higher temperature it cracked the injector easy done really. Thanks again michael8554 for your reply.

Thanks for the thanks, bet you're feeling good now.
Don't forget to do the EGR delete, great for long term reliability.
Michael

Thanks for your replies. I just disconnected the swirl flap motor mechanism but left all wiring in place so as not to throw up any codes. It seems to have worked so far as the manifold motor still worked okay.

I might look into the egr delete. How will the car benefit from doing this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom