Mobilo rescue and a 212 Sport E class for ME!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another excellent write-up, ***, but like bpsorrell, I'm confused about the issue with the doors. They've worked perfectly on both my SLKs, to the extent that you don't even notice the glass dropping unless you specifically watch for it. If they've been getting this right since 1997, I'm intrigued as to how they managed to mess up with the CLS.

I open the door and nearly smash the glass off the rubber. I conscientiously have to pull the door open once the window drops. I do not see what benefit frameless doors give.

Plus in the ice, they are a bugger. Friend of a friend has a BM with these doors and struggles with them.

Another friend got a boxster and they failed, meaning getting out the car was tricky.

Sorry, I strongly dislike them.

Have never found the windows dropping not quick enough on my CLS ..

perhaps try to be a little less rushed.

the CLS's frameless doors are one of the defining features of its design

'your' CLS has standard leather, not nappa.

I have underground parking so ice and frost not an issue.

I have a Boxster too, and no problems with that either.

the drop down and push up windows make for much better sealing and reduced noise.

Good write up mate.

I have had a few cars with frameless doors and never even noticed, don't see the issue myself.

Also, I love the comand, I wouldn't be without it, the mapping and route choice is superb, the SD card and HDD for music is fantastic and the way it hooks up to the phone is also excellent.

I do like the CLS, a lot, and if I didn't need an estate I would definitely have one, a great looking car because it is different.

Have never found the windows dropping not quick enough on my CLS ..

perhaps try to be a little less rushed.

the CLS's frameless doors are one of the defining features of its design

'your' CLS has standard leather, not nappa.

I have underground parking so ice and frost not an issue.

I have a Boxster too, and no problems with that either.

the drop down and push up windows make for much better sealing and reduced noise.

I cannot see how a normal door would detract from the design to be honest.

I know a window drop is needed to form a deal, but a framed door forms one and truth be told, I cannot see the adverse nature of framed doors like a 211, 204, 203, 212, which were all in production at the same time. I can only see benefits. Perhaps they could have made 2 styles of doors and bodies, one for framed doors, and others for non, and see what the uptake was.

I am in a minority view, and most people like this feature of the car, like most people like COMAND.

Both of these devices are negatives for me of this car. On the 212 it was a lot nice the COMAND and actually something I may want, rather than something I'd avoid.

Horses for courses. The fundamentals of the CLS are great, and its different to drive in a better way than an E class, and better appointed, IMHO, to justify its existence and higher pricing.

I cannot see how a normal door would detract from the design to be honest.

the window apertures are really quite small for the size of car .. having doors wih frames would have meant even smaller apertures

Good write up mate.

I have had a few cars with frameless doors and never even noticed, don't see the issue myself.

Also, I love the comand, I wouldn't be without it, the mapping and route choice is superb, the SD card and HDD for music is fantastic and the way it hooks up to the phone is also excellent.

I do like the CLS, a lot, and if I didn't need an estate I would definitely have one, a great looking car because it is different.

Another nod for the doors not in my favour.

Wait to you sample COMAND in a 212 or 204. Its a lot easier with the rotary nob and return button, and its position on the dash easier to read.

Its really something I used in the 212, but not in this car much.

What I am enjoying, is driving the car and I guess MB has filled its brief, a more dynamic car than the 211. Lets just say I took the long way home from work and added on another 20 miles. I did this with my 211's from time to time, but would do this more with one of these.

Fab cars, you probably should go and buy one, second hand nice ones are about £20k, I cannot think of many better ways to spend £20k car wise. Given your posts about dynamics and the merits of a BMW, this car really is up your street....

the window apertures are really quite small for the size of car .. having doors wih frames would have meant even smaller apertures

I guess you are right, and its the only other minor critism is a lack of headroom, but its bearable with some adjustments and the seat is set low to accomodate this.

How would the comand put you off a car?

What don't you like about it?

211/219 COMAND by itself, is really quite good.

It's just that with the new generation COMAND in the 212 as a comparison, it doesn't stand a chance. It's like comparing a 2G phone with a 3G phone

What I am enjoying, is driving the car and I guess MB has filled its brief, a more dynamic car than the 211. Lets just say I took the long way home from work and added on another 20 miles. I did this with my 211's from time to time, but would do this more with one of these.

could it be you're driving it more because it's a new toy?

best you stay away from the CLS 55 or 63 :)

211/219 COMAND by itself, is really quite good.

It's just that with the new generation COMAND in the 212 as a comparison, it doesn't stand a chance. It's like comparing a 2G phone with a 3G phone

I disagree, I found the 212 comand a pain in comparison, routing was verging on making the nav unusable and inputting wasn't really improved, unlike on BMWs iDrive there was no shortcuts, either via buttons or via holding the controller in a certain direction, which would have improved it.

I am comparing the NTG2.5 not the earlier Comand which I agree is pretty behind the times, the new one just seems to be in a different package but actually a step backwards in many respects.

It is more like the iPhone 3gs vs 4, couple more features but the main ones like reception don't actually work as well, but looks nicer. ;)

Another benefit of the frameless door is the cleaner shut line. Follow the panel from the base of the windscreen to the rear D-pillar and you'll see how simple it is. Compare that to a wrap around framed door.

I tried Mactech's CLS at Jay's GTG and thought the glass drop was quite quick. Though I can see how this could be a pain in cold weather.

I agree with Steve's comments re frameless glass. I had a 350z for a couple of years but in winter the glass was always freezing to the seals. I used various seal lubricants and they all worked for a short while but it wasn't long before the glass would stick again.

I agree with Steve's comments re frameless glass. I had a 350z for a couple of years but in winter the glass was always freezing to the seals. I used various seal lubricants and they all worked for a short while but it wasn't long before the glass would stick again.

You just need to use a product called "Goo Gone" used in on the Subaru and on the W208 never had the glass stick to the seal even down to -19 this year:thumb:

You just need to use a product called "Goo Gone" used in on the Subaru and on the W208 never had the glass stick to the seal even down to -19 this year:thumb:
It sounds like a lost African tribe! :D

BMW sell door seal lubricant Restoring rubber seals with BMW Gummi-Pflege and I presume Mercedes have something similar (obviously the BMW one wouldn't be compatible with a Mercedes :) ).

Goo Gone only costs £3 though and works perfectly, you can tell I'm a tight Yorkshireman :D I actually got the goo gone tip off the BMW Forum (hangs head in shame)

The day that I drove a CLS63 at MB World, I didn't even notice the window drop! What I did notice, though, was that the 63 is THE engine to have! :)

How would the comand put you off a car?

It would cost more on a 2nd hand one, it takes up space that could be occupied by a nice user friendly audio 20 rather than a piece of junk that does not work

What don't you like about it?[/QUOTE]

What do I like about it.

Nothing.

Now I am back in the 211 a few comparisons are shinning through.

The 212 was more dynamically accomplished, particularly in steering. Its a shame the seats are set so high, this is a very poised car, it definately needs more power to have fun in it.

Transmission wise, the 212 5g has it over mine and the CLS I got. Its, in my view, if not others, by far the better box. Shame its only for 4pot engines, which after a 211 320 are just too weedy.

I really liked the CLS but it was never as relaxed as the 211. I find the 211 a really lovely relaxing motor, which is its brief. The 211 feels a lot more spacious but conversely the dynamics are not as good. Particularly steering and body control, the CLS is a lot tighter.

Engines. The CLS was a 350cdi. It was slightly gruffer than my 211, but a lot quicker, particularly in the mid range. 212 and 204 owners of this will be giggling a lot. So strong.

Surely the answer about sticky door seals is to give them a quick lube every time you wash the car ?

I know, it doesn't help Steve's situation one iota ............... they'd be lubed once. Maybe twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom