• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Motor trader or not??

AMG-Al

Car
CLK55AMG (W208)
Does anyone know if there is a specific rule/requirement to declare yourself as a motor trader on ebay (or indeed anywhere)?

I was looking a car today from your average ebay seller, but it turns out he has feedback for 10 cars over the last year and currently has 5 for sale.

All his feedback is good, and i'm not saying selling all these cars is a bad thing, just wonderin' :confused:

Not really, no-one is forcing anyone to buy from him and you've obviously worked him out.....

He might just be a part-time trader? Why not ask him and see what he says?

Does anyone know if there is a specific rule/requirement to declare yourself as a motor trader on ebay (or indeed anywhere)?

I was looking a car today from your average ebay seller, but it turns out he has feedback for 10 cars over the last year and currently has 5 for sale.

All his feedback is good, and i'm not saying selling all these cars is a bad thing, just wonderin' :confused:

I am not sure that there is a specific determination but I am led to understand that about 6 units/yr. is the notional tipping point.

Mic

If you buy a car from a trader you have more consumer rights than buying from a private seller, so in that sense his status matters. Of course, buying at auction introduces more complications, but if you "Buy it Now" at his offer price I would say you've bought from a trader given the number of cars he has sold.

By Law traders should declare themselves as such and offer a minimum statuary warranty.

At that level of turnover HMRC would definitely regard him as trading.

When I was self employed , in the early 1990s , I was advised that if I sold more than 8 vehicles in 12 months I would have to advise HMRC . At that level I would apparently be classed as a trader. Not sure whether they have changed the level since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom