Motorway speeding ticket for 80mph?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
12 points is not necessarily a ban ,neither is over 100mph

Well having been doing a run recently using the M25 from the A12 to the A111,I have noticed a distinct change in the way people are now driving that motorway,drivers are sticking to the 70mph limit and also on the 4 lane parts of the motorway say a year ago car drivers were using 3 of the lanes,this has now changed to only two lanes as the trucks have taken over the second lane as well as the inside one,now in that run I have been doing you see maybe 3 cars speeding,by that I am saying 80mph plus,either they have cloned plates or the car is stolen,it would be interesting to see some numbers of how many vehicles are being caught speeding in that section,but drivers I think are changing .

It's interesting how rules are different in countries. I am originally from Germany and I remember that you got an automatic four week ban when you were 21 over. So in a 50 at 71 you are banned for four weeks. Red light violation would be four points etc. and I think you get a course at 15 points and ban with mandatory re-test at 18 or something - that was pre-2001 mind.

I remember also that I had to go to court once because APPARENTLY I got a speed ticket in a 30 with a coach ... So I never had a speeding ticket and the only time they SAID I speeded, it went straight to court. Basically because I had a full coach / lorry license with special additions like hazardous material - I got booked straight away with 32 in a 30. Cop even wanted to take my license but actually I refused to give it out of my hand and said I need a warrant for that - which is likely why I ended up in court. Now the best thing - the cops refused to talk to me as I insisted I was not speeding.

Only in court I was able to produce my paperwork including tacho disk which showed I was actually driving 25 in a 30 ... Obviously it was thrown out so I still got 0 points even after changing my license to a UK one.

Anyway, I learned to drive old school in the 90s. I remember my driving instructor put a half empty glass bottle of chocolate milk (yep, chocolate milk, very common back in the days lol) in the middle of the bus on the floor and told me that no driving or braking should move / tip that bottle.

And to date, 20+ years later, I can still see him warning me when I need to make a quick stop lol

Anyway, it is a stupid system - bottom line.

What I want to see is not speed cameras but cops taking notes of number plates and giving points to drivers that slow down traffic on a motorway to check out some accidents on the other side, causing miles of traffic jams. HATE that.

I have a nasty feeling I triggered a camera on the M25 close to Heathrow in the variable speed limit area. Jam packed with traffic and incidents the gantries were changing from 60 to 50 to 40 and back to 60 again and I'm sure I missed a 40mph warning and got a flash..
Were you travelling faster than the other vehicles around you? If not, it might have been one of them.

Personally, I think that this is the result of a too-harsh points system.

As an example, most of London's roads now have a 20mph limit, including some dual carriageways that were previously 40mph... a colleague at work got 3 point twice, for doing 21mph and 23mph. So while 12 point does sound like a lot, I think the law should be more conservative with giving people points before an automatic ban with no discretion at 12 points can be applied.
There are some on this forum who wont believe your collague was done at 21mph! I do as a similar thing happened to my ex wife.

Anyone who has become a ‘totter’ by getting 12 or more points can plead exceptional hardship in which case, if found, may well avoid a ban. However, the bar is a high one to get over and its a card that can only be played once.

Ive encountered one person who has over 70 points. These were accumulated over a two week period all on separate occasions through a series of speed cameras. By the time it caught up with him he had amassed over 70 points!

Finally went to court a few weeks ago for doing 76mph in a 40.

Was in there less than 10 minutes, came out with 6 points and £980 fine. Good money-maker 🤣

Mine got threw out of court as it took longer than 6 month's 🙂

Was in there less than 10 minutes, came out with 6 points and £980 fine. Good money-maker 🤣
You were lucky not to get a ban. Does the £980 include the victim surcharge and costs?

You were lucky not to get a ban. Does the £980 include the victim surcharge and costs?
Yes it did
So I think the official charge was something like £680. He mentioned something about a discount for pleading guilty and then added victim surcharge and costs to come to £980.
Its like they already knew what they were going to do - like I said, I was in and out within 5-10 mins and most of it was just the magistrates confirming details and identity

I think you should have got a ban for doing 76 in a 40 zone.

Did you miss a variable speed limit sign - or roadworks temporary speed limit sign - on the motorway?

I thought this as well at first, however, there may have been circumstances that made the transgression less of an issue.

Not all 40mph limits are urban.

And I think you should stick your head in a hole
Did you miss a variable speed limit sign - or roadworks temporary speed limit sign - on the motorway?

I thought this as well at first, however, there may have been circumstances that made the transgression less of an issue.

Not all 40mph limits are urban.
Dual carriageway back in 2020. Clear road because everyone was working from home and missed a sign going to 40 and got caught by a camera van.

Dual carriageway back in 2020. Clear road because everyone was working from home and missed a sign going to 40 and got caught by a camera van.
Similar round our way. Dual carriageway goes from 50 to 30 and the Police set up camp just inside the 30 zone, caught dozens of "essential workers" during the lockdown..

Yes it did
So I think the official charge was something like £680. He mentioned something about a discount for pleading guilty and then added victim surcharge and costs to come to £980.
Its like they already knew what they were going to do - like I said, I was in and out within 5-10 mins and most of it was just the magistrates confirming details and identity
If you were in for just sentencing then this explains the delay and the fact it was so quick. You must have pleaded guilty previously. You were probably asked to explain your side of things but after that its a simple calculation. 33% off the fine (band C ) for a guilty plea. Your fine would have been about £810, VS £81, costs £85 = £976. You declared your income to them.

The court has the discretion to either ban you for the offence or give you six points. You must have convinced them to be lenient.

I was flashed on the M62 I was sent the paperwork which I admitted I was driving etc but because it took over 6 month's to be called to court for sentencing it was thrown out ,no further action
I was lucky but this does happen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom