My experience of buying a new Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiim533

Car
Hi

I ordered a new E250 Cabrio at MB Bury St Edmunds on 6 April, paid £1000 deposit and was told delivery would be in 12 weeks, but they'd let me know when they had the "production date".

After 4 weeks I called for an update. The update was MB had stopped production of the E250, but they did me a deal on the E350 instead.

The production date was set for 8 July, delivery date at port of 16 July and latest delivery date to the dealer was 23 July.

Well... guess what. Nothing turned up. The car was built on 8 July. The dealer even has the VIN Number (WDD2074262F324485 if anyone's interested!). But the dealer can't find out where it is. He's been onto MB in Milton Keynes, and they say it may be delivered on 11 August, but they can't guarantee that. Oh, and I've tried MB Customer Service, but they will take 5 days to reply, and after speaking to them just now, I really don't hold up much hope.

In the interim, I sold my old car on 23 July so am now having to rent cars. Luckily I live in London in the week so can use public transport but I need a car on weekends. Cars in London for weekends aren't cheap to hire.

So. The dealer says he'll give me back my deposit. He says he's never come across this sort of situation in the 5 years he's been with MB. I have Finchley Road Audi right around the corner and they have a delivery mileage A5 Cabrio on the forecourt.

Is waiting for my Mercedes worth it, or shall I just give it up as a bad job and go down and buy the Audi?

:wallbash:

Worth asking the dealer if they have a car that they can lend you?

Is waiting for my Mercedes worth it, or shall I just give it up as a bad job and go down and buy the Audi?

:wallbash:

Naff service, guess the question is do you want the Audi over the merc??

I would be demanding a demo or a loan car from the dealer seen as though they (MB) have mess up.

I think the E350 will be a better car but in the end its your call.
I would try MB for a loaner as its them messing you about!

Tony.

If you're still wanting a Mercedes after such terrible service I would press for a loan car until your E350 arrives.

If that A5 is a 2.0T petrol, I'd steer well clear; my B-I-L's uses a litre of oil between fill up.

As already mentioned Mercedes should provide you with a hire car. I had a similar thing with VW back in March when although my car was built it sat at the port in Germany for weeks on end with no date for loading onto ship. My dealer was very helpful in arranging a courtesy car through VW Customer Services.

Given the choice of the Audi or Mercedes I'd stick with your original order.

The E350 is so much better than an A5 it's laughable. Get the dealer to give you a loan car asap funded by MBUK.

Definitely stick with the e350! U won't regret it after hearing the v6 engine purr if it's bluetech : ) a5 for me is no comparison

Have asked for a loan car. MB in Bury is small, so the guy isn't sure but he'll go through to "group". I said any old car would do...S Class Coupe, SL or an AMG GT!

If you're still wanting a Mercedes after such terrible service I would press for a loan car until your E350 arrives.

If that A5 is a 2.0T petrol, I'd steer well clear; my B-I-L's uses a litre of oil between fill up.

Has he mentioned to Audi about that? if its out of there tolarence they should rebuild the engine foc. (subject to history etc)

Have asked for a loan car. MB in Bury is small, so the guy isn't sure but he'll go through to "group". I said any old car would do...S Class Coupe, SL or an AMG GT!

At the very least :D Hope you get it sorted

Has he mentioned to Audi about that? if its out of there tolarence they should rebuild the engine foc. (subject to history etc)

He's currently in deep discussion with Audi about the issue as it happens.

I've had several audi's over the years and they have all used oil. The worst was about 0.5 litres per 1000 miles

I was considering an A5 cab against an E Class convertible. Have test driven the E Class but haven't got round to the Audi garage yet. Sounds like I shouldn't bother?

Tiim533 said:
Yeh it's a E 350 BlueTEC Cabriolet :thumb:
Defo go for that then, I had that model as a hire car last year it sounded awesome and build quality inside and outside far superior to an a5 cab..

The VAG 2.0 T ea888 variant is well known across all brands for being a bit thirsty on oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom