My glovebox is stuck closed (W220)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJayUK

Car
ML320 W163, E320 W210 & Jaguar X300-XJR6
My glovebox has decided to lock closed for some reason. It has my Ipod inside and for some reason the button has stopped working. I have tried to prise open the door carefully unsuccessfully!

Is there a way to open it without causing any damage?

Help! I want my ipod back!

There's not a pair of knickers jamming the mechanism is there ?

Or a half eaten doner ? ;)

This happens alot and in my experiance you need to lever the top of the glovebox open with a trim tool. You may break the lock and /or glovebox lid.

Ahh your taking the mick now I have a genuine technical problem :(

Wouldn't be that bothered but my new Ipod Touch is in there! Just been out there again and its locked close for sure. Tried prising again but didnt want to break it.

tried to blame my Mrs. but she said she hasn't messed with the box for ages ;)

Last edited:
Mate , if i could help , i would . :(

I have no idea i'm afraid , other than to try what Olly says ...

Does the S-class have a lockable glovebox like lesser models? If so it might be worth trying the key on it.

The cable needs adjusting, you should be able to take the panel off at the side of the glovebox. Shine a light in there and you should see a white plastic gear. I can't say off hand which way to turn it but turn it with a screwdriver a bit either way until the handle will open the lid.
Hope this helps.

bummer, I tried to prize it a little to hard and I broke the catch! So I am on the lookout for a new glovebox door now! Olly was right (as always) it broke very easily :(

bummer, I tried to prize it a little to hard and I broke the catch! So I am on the lookout for a new glovebox door now! Olly was right (as always) it broke very easily :(

200 notes for just the door from Stealership. Ouch.

Yep or 190 plus vat to be precise!

Oh and its special order from Germany and could take up to 12 weeks to arrive!!!

Superglued the catch back on and so far its holding, but I am not convinced that its a long term fix. I also managed to lose one of the 4 screws into a "black hole" behind the trim so I am not having a great deal of luck!

If anyone has a spare I would appreciate it!

Yep.
You might even find someone breaking a W220 on eBay.
What colour is your trim? Finding a car with the same colour trim might be the difficult bit if you have one of those rare colours (like sandy beach or something).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom