• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

My view on 204 vs 205 C63

Personally, I wouldn't buy a 205 even if it was the same price as a 204. On the metrics that matter to me, namely: sound, soul, emotional connection... The 204 wins hands down imo. The 205 feels like it's pretending to be a true AMG imo.. And as you say, those fake exhaust covers with the horrible Kwik Fit Exhaust Centre pipes clearly visible are a disgrace.
Yeah those exhaust slots really are puke inducing. Though this morning I saw something even worse, a Bentley bentayago (whatever it is called, SUV thing) with rectangle exhausts stuck on small round ones clearly visible and they shook as the car hit bumps 🤢🤢. Sort of looked like someone stuck tin foil extensions on a regular exhaust 🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

I guess emotion is a key word here but I'm thinking how much of it is based more on nostalgia and history than driving experience. I'd probably be happy to own a 204 but for one think the 204 is a bit sterile and lacking a bit of the drama behind the wheel (ignoring sound where it does rule , apart from the firecracker pops and bangs on the 205). It really feels tame, while good on corners, it isn't nearly as dynamic. The engine is amazingly precise but lacks that punch unless red lined where it shines . In a race car application, that sort of linear torque would be amazing it has to be said.The 205 model really is a step up and is what I call 'new' AMG, ie brilliant handling and driving dynamics, but also feels tuned and really dangerous, if you misbehave in a 205s you'll find skid marks on the asphalt and your y fronts. According to one AMG instructor, the 205 estate is as slidey and lively as they come. The 205 rewards precise inputs and gives a lot more enjoyment the more you drive, whereas the 204 is simple to drive and lacks the fear inducing excitement and engagement - to me that is the key. I had a 2018 pre facelift wagon but also played with the facelift at brooklands a couple of times , my word, that's a car and a half, you can calibrate how much slide and play you want which is fantastic for me personally plus updates all round make it an incredible piece of equipment. I actually found the 204 slightly more comfortable but it may be the bucket seats on the 205 that made it feel stiffer.

While tempted to get a facelift c once I got rid of my 205, I managed to find a w212 AMG s version and snapped it up. Variety being the spice of life. After 9k miles in the E, the 205 s is a crazier and wilder vehicle than the far more powerful e63 and has a higher thrill factor than even the 800+nm w212. Its now AMG have engineered the 205, it seems like it has been designed to scare the sh1t out of anyone who dares to mess with it and equally reward you if you push it, and thats why the 204 can never compete IMO. Its like AMG injected a huge dose of humour into it as all it wants to do is go sideways whenever possible and if you like that sort of thing, then this car is the gold standard because it also saves your bacon after giving u a heart attack whereas a BMW M4 would put me in a hedge if I messed with it in the same way.

From my brief drive I can imagine what you say is very true. The torque mid range is borderline dangerous and it did corner hard. However, the linear power delivery of the 204 makes it more easily exploitable and possibly a bit safer when used with the family. I may still try and get another longer go in a 205 and I haven't written it off completely as a replacement, just not yet...

I'm looking into a w205s hopefully to replace the w204 ppp haven't driven 1 yet,apart from imo the switchable exhaust is a must any other things I should look out for (2016)ish
Thanks in advance

Is the edition 1 basically the next 1 up from the s and are they worth the extra££

The Edition 1 is all cosmetic, nothing extra over the S that adds to the driving experience. The only bit I like is the quilted leather but I don't think it's worth the premium.

I’m similar to a lot of posters in that I have owned two W204’s for a combined 7 years (one saloon and one estate) and have recently picked up a w205 / S205 Estate.

The W205 is superior in many ways but the W204 is more visceral, if that makes sense.

Both estates suit me perfectly ferrying around a young family but the 205 wins as it’s less ‘in your face’ compared with the 204.

Both great cars in their own right.

From my brief drive I can imagine what you say is very true. The torque mid range is borderline dangerous and it did corner hard. However, the linear power delivery of the 204 makes it more easily exploitable and possibly a bit safer when used with the family. I may still try and get another longer go in a 205 and I haven't written it off completely as a replacement, just not yet...
Agreed, if I kickdown in a 204 it'll do quite well to accelerate really fast and really smoothly relative to the 205 which is chaos.
I'm looking into a w205s hopefully to replace the w204 ppp haven't driven 1 yet,apart from imo the switchable exhaust is a must any other things I should look out for (2016)ish
Thanks in advance

Agreed the performance exhaust is a must have. Personally i really liked the HUD which is excellent on this model, 360 cam which is miles better than the one on my w212. I liked the premium pack with the pano roof and other bits.
I'd buy an s version over a standard as the s is sharp, has active engine mounts and bigger brakes.
The driver assistance package for motorway cruising was a great option for me personally but I can see why many won't be bothered with it.
Other than that, I personally am not bothered by the fancier alloys or carbon fibre and probably avoid carbon ceramic brakes.

I've noticed a low miles S version with no options is silly money so im going to go with the none s model optioned up to the hilt hopefully 😃

After a 400 mile round trip to meet a very nice and honest guy ive done a deal on a w205 ,imo the w205 is a quicker car and feels solid on the road i didn't push it as it wasn't mine 😀 it is now and i will report back after I collect it and drive it the 200 miles home 😀

After a 400 mile round trip to meet a very nice and honest guy ive done a deal on a w205 ,imo the w205 is a quicker car and feels solid on the road i didn't push it as it wasn't mine 😀 it is now and i will report back after I collect it and drive it the 200 miles home 😀
Congrats, looking forward to seeing it 😍

Here's a few photos
20211023-133754.jpg
[/url]

Well done. Your last one looked a hard act to, follow so interested to read your views on this one.
As above, great colour.

Congratulations, lovely colour.
Health to enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom