• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

My view on 204 vs 205 C63

I haven't driven or owned either a 204 or a 205 but prefer the looks of the 205, especially the interior. much more modern looking IMO. I suppose it too will look dated as soon as the new C Class is available.

Love the iPad look on the 205. hate the gear selector on the 204

I had high expectations for the 205 and I wanted to love it. I liked it, but that's not enough for me.

My test drive cannot compare to owning a 205 so I may be a little off with the rpms I mentioned. You certainly had to be a good way above 2k for the turbos to spool quickly though. The mid range is much stronger on the biturbo so needs less downshifting for an overtake.

Typically, I'm either driving around under 3krpm behind traffic or using higher revs going quick. The every day driving part is where I felt it has less character in particular.

Thanks for the write Up. I had my C63 Saloon for 7 years before changing for C43 Estate. A lot of turbo lag in C mode and even though it was a great car with the 4matic found it a bit underwhelming. So gone back to V8 and have a 2020 C63s Saloon waiting for me to pick up whenever my never ending offshore trip finishes! So i will be interested to compare

Thanks for the write Up. I had my C63 Saloon for 7 years before changing for C43 Estate. A lot of turbo lag in C mode and even though it was a great car with the 4matic found it a bit underwhelming. So gone back to V8 and have a 2020 C63s Saloon waiting for me to pick up whenever my never ending offshore trip finishes! So i will be interested to compare
Curious... do you think this really was turbo lag, or just deliberately- mapped- in slow throttle response, if only apparent in C mode? MB seem to like to do that.

Thank you, Steve, very interesting from a fellow 204 C63 estate owner, with a 205 C63S on order.

I have driven the 205, estate and coupe. I agree with you that the 204 is fun at any speed in a way most modern fast cars are not. You can feel the weight shift and move things around with the throttle even at lower speeds. That was a reason I have hung on to my 204 for so long.

I am expecting the 205 to be faster, less fun unless really going fast, more comfortable. Like all modern fast cars it will feel relatively effortless and "manufactured", while the 204 feels like it's a C class into which a very talented engineering division decided to insert a crazy engine and wider track, etc. A crazy car, more like one of the old mad Alpinas (4.6 litre engine in E36 3 series) than any M car, for example. Or like the original RS2.

A bit like you, I have misgivings, but I am taking the plunge. But, I tell myself, it's not like splitting up with a girlfriend. its reversible, at a cost. Worst case, I'll trade back in a year. The 204 is very special.

Very interesting thread. Many years ago I looked at changing my S203 C32 for an S204 C63. I had several test drives including a weekend with one kindly lent by MB of Brighton. I couldn’t press the button. The handling was no better than the C32, the gearbox had more gears but was still slow witted (2008, pre mct). In the end the significant drop in fuel economy was what swayed my wife. We sat in the dealership with the salesman and he summed it up for me. When he said “you don’t love it, do you?” it sealed it. He was right.
I’m on my second S205 C63, but I’m not going into that now ;)

@Engadine I hope you do get on with the C63 S, I still thought it was a cracking car and better suited to family duties. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after you've settled in with it.

@Jobsworth that's the key with cars like these, I think you've got to love them as otherwise they're too much of a folly and extra expense to be worth it.

Good write up, just one thing tho, when comparing the seats a truer comparison would have been the non S version of the C63 205 as it doesn’t have the bucket seats.

I'm not sure what you mean? Do you find the non bucket seats better? If I was buying a 205 I'd want the S, a large part of which is the seats which look sensational. The 204 has bucket seats too, just more oriented towards luxury.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean? Do you find the non bucket seats better? If I was buying a 205 I'd want the S, a large part of which is the seats which look sensational. The 204 has bucket seats too, just more oriented towards luxury.
I prefer the non bucket seats yes, they are more comfortable…but then I’m the wrong side of 50😖. I didn’t realise the 204 had bucket seats.

Curious... do you think this really was turbo lag, or just deliberately- mapped- in slow throttle response, if only apparent in C mode? MB seem to like to do that.
Yes, could well have been the map...if i pulled out to overtake and had not changed to S mode then there was no pick up at all. It was so slow and unresponsive unless i kicked down.

In terms of bang for your buck, I think the 204 is a no brainer compared to the 205. Most folks would make the right choice going for the 204. But if you want the best car out of the two without considering price, the 205s without any hesitation. Beats the 204 hands down in all categories except sound, looks (apart from facelift 205 coupe which is incredible beautiful) and real exhaust pipes which are almost a deal breaker for me. The 205 is an M car with AMG personality

In terms of bang for your buck, I think the 204 is a no brainer compared to the 205. Most folks would make the right choice going for the 204. But if you want the best car out of the two without considering price, the 205s without any hesitation. Beats the 204 hands down in all categories except sound, looks (apart from facelift 205 coupe which is incredible beautiful) and real exhaust pipes which are almost a deal breaker for me. The 205 is an M car with AMG personality
Personally, I wouldn't buy a 205 even if it was the same price as a 204. On the metrics that matter to me, namely: sound, soul, emotional connection... The 204 wins hands down imo. The 205 feels like it's pretending to be a true AMG imo.. And as you say, those fake exhaust covers with the horrible Kwik Fit Exhaust Centre pipes clearly visible are a disgrace.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a 205 even if it was the same price as a 204. On the metrics that matter to me, namely: sound, soul, emotional connection... The 204 wins hands down imo. The 205 feels like it's pretending to be a true AMG imo.. And as you say, those fake exhaust covers with the horrible Kwik Fit Exhaust Centre pipes clearly visible are a disgrace.
The exhaust doesn't bother me, given I never see it and anyone that does, doesn't have time to analyse it in detail as i'm usually a spec in the distance by then :D

As is usual for a German designed/built car, they went for functionality and use rather than pure aesthetics, just like the did with the Murcielago and the air intake/duct that is only present on one side - that doesn't bother me either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom