Need new laptop gotta be Currys or PCWorld

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i disagree with the above as I think youre in a bad position.

The problem you have is that the shop only sell about 80 different laptops, of which 30 have large screens, of the 50 left 30 of those are above your price.

So your left with 20, of those 20 theres wrong colour, size, and spec.

So youre now left with about a dozen to pick from.

From this, I would go for the Dell
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...m=null&tm=null&sku=158411&category_oid=-35054

Now if you can somehow work with the business side of things www.pcwb.com
rises to a few hundred.... I appreciate this is probably not possible though

As Gollom says, I think that you can get the PC World online deals, in store, if you reserve on line for instore collection.

Also many laptops come with the disks that allow you to go back from Vista to XP. I recently did this on some Fujitsu Siemens laptops and they perform so much better.

Sony ones made in Japan are good! I'm used to a 15" screen on my work laptop but I use this one just as much and it's only a 13" I thought it might be a problem but would live with it for the portability (and bargain, PC world business open box £500, new version even from the US $2000!!! :eek) so maybe take a look at the smaller (but not the tiny, small keyboard) ones and see what you think.

Kate

Steer clear of Toshiba.. know of 3 people who bought Toshibas from Currys and 2 of them packed up about 14 months on, and one was replaced during warranty period after numerous issues and threat of legal action.

Stick to HP... but go for an Intel based system.

Min Spec to be looking at new:

Inetl Core2Duo T7500 or T8100 (2.2Ghz and 2.1Ghz respectively)

The T8100 is the newer gen CPU which is alot more efficient in terms of heat generation and power consumed, thus resulting in a longer battery life.

Min 2Gb RAM
Min 150Gb Hard disk (settle for 120 if deal is good)
Wifi/bluetooth etc is all expected as standard.

again - stick to HP is my advise - tried and tested...

PC World will usually match any online price in store... and sometimees beat it... but you have to put the effort into asking/haggling.

Last edited:
Howard, how you're going to make sense of all posted above I know not :D

Same as a car insurance thread! so-and-so were brilliant, but avoid lala, they are rubbish!

Just buy one that looks nice (and I happen to like Toshiba and I've yet to have an issue with any Dell)

Well, you guys know that I have lots of IT stuff at home...
Would recommend Acers - cheap and really good!
My brother has split coke on keyboard and... touch pad doesn't work, keyboard works partially etc... Connected USB keyboard and mouse and VOILA! :)
Bro promised to buy new keyboard (£24) but never did.
I could take laptop apart (did that many times before) and clean it but having another few laptops - no rush here :)

You could try to clean your laptop of if you don't know how- I could help you with it :)

I would point you as well to something which wasn't mentioned before:

CHECK SCREEN!!! See if you like it! I hate cheap screens!

Also, if that's an option - you could go to PCWorld and hang around tills and ask someone to pay with your vouchers and give you cash instead. For people it doesn't make a difference whatsoever and I've done it in the past.
If vouches can be used on anything, go to Currys as it would be easier to exchange vouchers as more transaction per minute.

Cheers
Chris

Howard, how you're going to make sense of all posted above I know not :D

Same as a car insurance thread! so-and-so were brilliant, but avoid lala, they are rubbish!

Just buy one that looks nice (and I happen to like Toshiba and I've yet to have an issue with any Dell)

Agree 100%. It's like all things in life - get a good un and it's fine - some one else get's the same - but a lemon - so which way to go? My Toshiba is great - 18 months heavy use :eek: and it's fine. Yet the Lenovo I bought for Megs last July - pile of poo. She's just replaced it with a Mac book. I should be a student!!

So I agree - go for the one that looks the part appears to have the spec/functionality you want/need and has a good warranty should anything go wrong.

btw - I don't know if that has been said - but with PC World and I would imagine Currys (seeing as they are one and the same ;) ) you can reserve online and pick up in store or print the add from their online store and take it with you and the store will honour the online price.

Last edited:
Well , that is bloody good service.

Ruined the laptop on Sunday
Phoned the insurance on Monday
Money here on Tuesday

( like a Craig David song ) :crazy:

So , i would recommend Lloyds home insurance to anyone !

I'm off to PCworld ! :bannana:

Well , that is bloody good service.

Ruined the laptop on Sunday
Phoned the insurance on Monday
Money here on Tuesday

Bought the laptop Wednesday
Watched it Crash on Thursday...
:D

Right chaps and chapesses ....

Been to Currys , too lazy to drive to PC World .... and i have seen ...

Toshiba EQUIUM L350D-11D
17 inch widescreen display :cool:
2 GB RAM
120 GB HDD
3 USB's
AMD Athlon Dual Core 64 x2

£379.00 - i like this .... has a big fat screen and looks sexy , and i don't have to fork out any more cash.

Sony Vaio VGN-NR32S
2 GB RAM
200 GB HDD
15.4 inch display

Don't know what processor it has but it is on ssale for £450 ( from £499 )

Sony Vaio VGN-NR38S
Intel Pentium Dual Core T 2390 1.8 Ghz
2 GB RAM
250GB HDD
15.4 in screen

£449.99

Gotta be honest i like the look of the Tosh , but the Sonys are quite sexy too ... What's the difference in the two Vaios , except for HDD size ?

Any opinions on these three ?

Prefer Intel processors ...

Could it be graphic cards that's the difference? Or different speeds of processors

The Tosh should run OK, I've used an AMD Athlon Dual Core 64 x2 laptop recently (although it did have 3GB RAM) with Vista and it was fine.

If you are attracted by the screen size (those 17" widescreen are nice) it seems like a fair pick for the money. You could get a better spec with a 15" screen or put a bit to it and a better 17" choice, but for no outlay a nice enough piece of kit. I looked at that model recently and agree it visually looks good too.

Sony laptops, at the lower end of the market are all fur coat and no knickers.
hmm..... :rolleyes: :devil: (depends if the fur is real as to how low)

Back to the point:

The Tosh is a 17" screen which for a laptop is just about manageable unless you are travelling a lot, in which case it will be too big, especially if widescreen.

AMD processor based laptops are a personal NO NO...

Out of the two Sonys,

The first one (Vaio VGN-NR32S) has a Core2Duo T5550 (1.86 GHz, 2Mb cache, 667FSB) Processor.

The second one (VGN-NR38S) has an Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2390 (1.86 GHz, 1Mb cache, 533FSB) processor.

The difference between the CPUs is different technology bases - I could go into the technical specifics but will spare you.

Basically the T5550 is a better processor than the T2390. It has double the cache and a faster front side bus - and is the newer generation of the two.

If the choice is between the 3 laptops listed then I would go with:

Sony Vaio VGN-NR32S
2 GB RAM
200 GB HDD
15.4 inch display

A 200Gb HDD is more than adequate for home use. 2Gb RAM can be upgraded fairly cheaply to 4Gb if you are running Vista with SP1.

Personally, I still like HP....

Hi Howard,

I bought a new laptop this week - from Comet of all places.
I'm usually not one to go to these kinds of high street shops but this was not a bad deal:

Fujitsu Siemens
15.4" display
Intel Core 2 duo
T5750 2.00GHz processor
3Gb RAM
160Gig HD
Windows Vista
£349.99

reserved it online for store pickup, and they threw in a HD Deskjet (worth £15 BUT WHAT THE HELL!)

As others have said, Sony laptops are below par and their support is truly shocking.

Just check the driver support on their website alone and compare to the rest of the competition if you need any proof.

AMD processor based laptops are a personal NO NO...

They're OK in this price range.

Particularly if you prioritise screen size or other features.

Personally, I still like HP....

You make it sound like admitting a minor personal hygiene problem ...:D

try www.bigpockets.co.uk

i got my laptop from them - seems pretty good

its their own brand but much better spec for the same price as lesser spec ones elsewhere. good enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom