New E-class and Mercedes-Benz UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Surely this is all about choice and in this modern day and age, the choice of any option is simply a 'tick in the box' If a customer ticks that box, then job done, The customer puts down the deposit, the car is theirs.

The dealer can order whatever cars they want with some, or none of the many options. This works in all countries other than the UK.

Look at the posts here that are blaming the manufacturer, I could have been one such customer and simply bought a BMW. Does this manufacturer have problems with PCP|Lease deals? I guess not as how many reps have 3 series BMWs? No, I do not want a dealer to have a car in the showrooms that might take months to sell, I simply want the freedom of choice, just like the BMW or Audi manufacturers

Look at the posts here that are blaming the manufacturer, I could have been one such customer and simply bought a BMW. Does this manufacturer have problems with PCP|Lease deals?

You'll find that BMW have their own UK market quirks as well. thougjh maybe not as didactic as MB.

As do VAG.

And when it comes to electric cars - pricing and options of models available in the UK are different to some other markets.

Surely this is all about choice and in this modern day and age, the choice of any option is simply a 'tick in the box' If a customer ticks that box, then job done, The customer puts down the deposit, the car is theirs.

The dealer can order whatever cars they want with some, or none of the many options. This works in all countries other than the UK.

Look at the posts here that are blaming the manufacturer, I could have been one such customer and simply bought a BMW. Does this manufacturer have problems with PCP|Lease deals? I guess not as how many reps have 3 series BMWs? No, I do not want a dealer to have a car in the showrooms that might take months to sell, I simply want the freedom of choice, just like the BMW or Audi manufacturers
You can indeed specify HUD on a 5-series, but I believe that you have to buy it as part of a package of option, you can't specify it as a standalone option - but at least you can specify it. I'm not sure about the A6 but I don't think it was available when I tried to spec one a while back - I never went through to purchase so I may easily be wrong.

Mercedes (in the UK) do seem to be one of the more restrictive manufacturers, but they all seem to be moving in the same direction. I like to have lots of options, but that's because I don't tend to finance my cars, and I tend to keep my cars a very, very long time, so the cost of options affects me much less than the majority of Mercedes customers. I suspect I'm in the minority.

You can indeed specify HUD on a 5-series, but I believe that you have to buy it as part of a package of option, you can't specify it as a standalone option - but at least you can specify it. I'm not sure about the A6 but I don't think it was available when I tried to spec one a while back - I never went through to purchase so I may easily be wrong.

Mercedes (in the UK) do seem to be one of the more restrictive manufacturers, but they all seem to be moving in the same direction. I like to have lots of options, but that's because I don't tend to finance my cars, and I tend to keep my cars a very, very long time, so the cost of options affects me much less than the majority of Mercedes customers. I suspect I'm in the minority.
Hi Bobby
Our 2004 E-class is the perfect example of what you are saying, we also buy what we like and keep it for a very, very long time. So I wonder how much of that tiny minority we are?

I think the lease\pcp folk will probably walk into the dealer and simply say 'I want that car over there' Job done and it is out of the door and that might be the market Mercedes UK are catering for..

On the other hand, if we spec a car to our personal taste then we wait and wait. In my case, it will be until March of next year but that is how it has always been. Mercedes are opening their doors to a bigger market and catering for those that 'want it and want it now' sadly though they are losing, or have lost their roots. I am guessing the days of sitting on a couch, or comfy armchair whilst ordering your car, drinking your favourite tipple whilst the salesman shows you the brochures and has those small squares of metal featuring all the available choices of colour are now out the door? :) Do we still get the beautiful bouquet and the bottle of spirits when taking delivery of our new car?

I agree totally that options tend to now come in packages but I believe that Mercedes are competing directly with the other two German car manufacturers and my dealership has told me that they are losing potential customers solely because of the appalling lack of choice.

Waffling on.... I am not looking forward to the day we sell our E-class, the thing has been a spoilt child, wanting for nothing, always garaged and always maintained by the main dealer.:(

I was under the impression that a lot of this was down to the WLTP fuel consumption figures, and that there had to have been tests carried out on a model to that specification. That makes the manufacturer want to package options, as it leaves fewer combinations to test. You can have more combinations in the European market because there are more vehicles sold in LHD markets, so it makes the testing worthwhile. Of course, I could be wrong.

I was under the impression that a lot of this was down to the WLTP fuel consumption figures, and that there had to have been tests carried out on a model to that specification. That makes the manufacturer want to package options, as it leaves fewer combinations to test. You can have more combinations in the European market because there are more vehicles sold in LHD markets, so it makes the testing worthwhile. Of course, I could be wrong.
Hi Dippo
Your last sentence summed up what you are politely suggesting. The Irish Republic offers more options than we have but sadly their tax laws ruled out buying from that country. I have never looked at the other right-hand drive countries but you have pricked my curiosity. No worries Bruce, I am off to the land down under to see what they have to offer :)

G'day
John

I believe the limitation is that they would sell very very few cars with HUD in the UK, because a few "£1,000" options increases the cost of a PCP/lease disproportionately compared to the base cost of the car.

Let's say someone adds £4,800 in options to a car on a 2 year lease, which would be very easy to do with a free choice of any option. That adds £200 per month to the lease, as those options would usually be paid for in full during the term of the lease. As a result, most (but not all) customers would choose not to have those options afterall - even company car drivers.
Stack ‘em high, sell ‘em cheap!

Seems quite a pertinent thread in light of Mercedes recent announcement that they’ll be aiming more towards the “luxury” - hopefully they’ll start to loosen up a bit on the obsession with uniformity...
Whew, that new Tesla Space Travel has its uses.

Back from the land down under and SPX has raised an interesting point. If we consider the upper-end E-class a 'luxury' car then would we like to have 'soft door closing' as a feature?

Yup, them beer-swilling, crocodile killing Australians have that as an option for the E-class. Clearly Mercedes-Benz UK believe we are capable of closing our doors without waking up our neighbours :) Oh., and they also have the Heads Up Display feature. BUT........... NO E-CLASS ESTATE and a limited selection of engines (not many diesels, if any)

The basic car had lots of features compared to the UK market but here is a list of a few of the goodies I put into my Australian build
  • Burmester® surround sound system with 13 speakers & 590 watts output
  • Centre console in high-gloss burr walnut wood
  • Head-up display with virtual image windscreen projection
  • Innovation Package MBUX Interior Assistant MBUX augmented reality for navigation MBUX High
  • MBUX augmented reality for navigation
  • Panoramic sunroof with roller sunblind & heat-insulating glass
  • Power Closing for doors
  • Vision Package
The only engines for the E-class were: E200, E300, E300e, AMG 53 4Matic and the AMG 63 S 4Matic. NO diesels

Last edited:
Wheww,
Finally put down the deposit. I had dug my heels in on something that to me was a deal breaker. It was non-negotiable

If the company collecting this vehicle find ANY mark, dent, paint issue or scratch no matter how small, will you get it repaired and most important pay the transport company their expenses for any delay?

This stipulation has been met and the one-third deposit has now been placed.

I had dug my heels in on this issue simply because I will be getting the transporting company to go over that car with a fine 'tooth comb' likewise when it gets off-loaded at my home address, either my wife or hopefully my son will also be checking this car and any marks found, then that will be down to the transporting company to rectify

Wheww,
Finally put down the deposit. I had dug my heels in on something that to me was a deal breaker. It was non-negotiable

If the company collecting this vehicle find ANY mark, dent, paint issue or scratch no matter how small, will you get it repaired and most important pay the transport company their expenses for any delay?

I had dug my heels in on this issue simply because I will be getting the transporting company to go over that car with a fine 'tooth comb' likewise when it gets off-loaded at my home address, either my wife or hopefully my son will also be checking this car and any marks found, then that will be down to the transporting company to rectify

Does the fact that you buy from the EU mean that you are going to be covered by a 2 year manufacturers warranty instead of the 3 year offered in the UK ?

The crying shame is that Mercedes DO HAVE the options you wanted. Heads Up Display is just one example. Folks here are tending to blame the manufacturer for not offering the options they want. That is NOT the case.

This is purely down to MERCEDES-BENZ UK. They are the culprits for culling the long list of features\options that the other countries in the EU can have and until we, the customers make a fuss, then the office bound nurd at that location will always be in a well paid job deciding what features we want\like and what features to strike off the list

There is the HUD for the E-class and I was using the configurator for the E300e petrol hybrid ESTATE!!!! Yup, we cannot have the petrol hybrid estate but that is down to that office-bound geek at Mercedes-Benz UK :)

How many potential customers are Mercedes-Benz losing all because of the attitude of their UK agent??

I am reading comments of folks blaming the manufacturer and I can fully understand why they are doing this but in reality, they are incorrect. The poor manufacturer is innocent, they are offering the features we all crave for, including multiple petrol engines and that HUD :) :)
Yes, yes, yes. How do we make MB UK pull their heads out of the sand and listen? I fear that they won’t listen whilst they continue to get the fleet sales with the drivers saying “it’s not quite what I wanted but it’ll do”.

I believe the limitation is that they would sell very very few cars with HUD in the UK, because a few "£1,000" options increases the cost of a PCP/lease disproportionately compared to the base cost of the car.

Let's say someone adds £4,800 in options to a car on a 2 year lease, which would be very easy to do with a free choice of any option. That adds £200 per month to the lease, as those options would usually be paid for in full during the term of the lease. As a result, most (but not all) customers would choose not to have those options afterall - even company car drivers.
But that’s no reason not to offer the options for those who are prepared to pay the extra. Apart from making the brochure slightly larger, what can the cost implications be for MB UK?

Wheww,

Well done. I’d never thought about buying from the criminals down under. With most of my family living there it should have been obvious to go with that route to get the car I want instead of a nearly job. Has it proved to be ridiculously expensive to get what you’re after?

Yes, I think option cull is due to WLTP, because car should be tested with every option combination possible, which mean a lot of tests. And because we have RHD cars, options seems to be limited. But LHD cars offer much more options. Not sure how ordering RHD car in Europe deals with WLTP testing.

Mercedes is not the only one limiting choices to black interior and minimal amount of options. I gave up on new A8/S8 after seeing option cull. Now I'm looking at well specced used cars.

I do not beleive this line.
I have just moved to Mercedes from Land Rover and there were plenty of options available over and above the various trim levels.
There is no way Land Rover put all the combinations forward for any testing.

How can for example ( missing this! ) a heated steering wheel need special testing?

Let's have a go at answering these questions :)

Crazycow
I have checked out the warranty and I can confirm that I get the full three year cover and yes I have also contacted my local dealer to make sure they would honour this warranty even though the car will be imported from the EU... My thoughts. This car is going to be a right-hand drive vehicle exactly the same as the other right-hand drive vehicles made by Mercedes-Benz but instead of being shipped from Germany to the UK, our car is having a very brief stopo-over (or sleep-over) in Belgium before finally coming to rest in our green and pleasant land..

Knighterrant
1. How do we make Mercedes-Benz UK listen and pull their heads out of the sand.
I apologise to any journalists here but I hate these folk with a passion however that to me is the only way to get things to change. Just imagine Jeremy Clarkson running a story on this dictatorial attitude. No company likes being ridiculed and I also bet the cars used by senior management have every conceivable option! I guess another option might be is for the likes of us folk who do not like what they are doing, is to write a 'proper' letter complaining about what they are doing :)

2. 'Bigger Brochures
I cannot get out and about so cannot go to our local dealer but whenever I ask for literature on the E-class, I am told I have to look on-line :( :( I am old fashioned and love looking through a brochure. The joke is that I have a very nice 'hard-back book' given to me by Mercedes Benz Commercial. I say hard-backed book because that is what it is but to you and me it is the brochure on the latest Mercedes-Benz Actros

3. Criminals Down Under
Fancy not thinking about going to Australia to buy a car!! :) but if you did, then do NOT go to Australia to buy an E-class estate. It is not available in that country, they only offer the smaller C-class. Clearly, Mercedes Australia is making a mandatory decision about what models and what features their customers will buy. When we look at their online brochure :) are they looking at the E-class as a luxury vehicle and as such are offering options they feel will suit prospective customers.

Penelope
I do not think the side the steering wheel is located has nothing to do with options but I have no idea what WLTP means :( My bad but in my defence the Republic of Ireland has right-hand drive vehicles and Mercedes Benz in that country offer a shed load of options (well at least half a dozen or more) :)

We were told years back that one of the reasons for being in EU was that things would be simpler/easier/similar. Oh really!

Am I alone in seeing the irony in the current Mercedes "Online Showroom" TV advert?

A 30-second ad showing people initially being overwhelmed by huge choices - before their choice is automatically reduced to a shade of gray with black plastic upholstery... and, no, you can't have a sunroof unless you have heated rear seats. 🙄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom