New petrol and diesel car sales will be 'banned from 2030'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Chinese government has its finger in almost every mining 'pie' in the developing world, mainly Africa (also Bauxite in Jamaica and others) , their (alleged) MO is they go in promising to release the wealth below using their technology and local labour , but the reality is often different. It is alleged that once local politicians and power mongers have been paid off local people hardly get a look in once the digging starts and once spent the land is abandoned back to the locals. What is to stop this happening in the DRC ? (it might already be so ;) ) If China 'goes in' who is going to stop them ? ..Joe Biden ?

I have seen with my own eyes Chinese mining operations many thousands of miles from China where virtually everything was bought in from China including the trucks (still on Chinese number plates) and the drivers , all of which could have been sourced locally boosting the local economy.

This is of course a bigger geopolitical issue than just batteries for EV's but the battery is arguably THE most important part of an EV (you rarely hear anyone fretting about how long the motor will last..always the battery) , so whomever controls the supply of materials to make the batteries controls everything to do with EV tech.

Just had a message from a friend in Germany, apparently Brussels wants the EU to bring the petrol/diesel ban into force in 2025!!

Just had a message from a friend in Germany, apparently Brussels wants the EU to bring the petrol/diesel ban into force in 2025!!
Great idea, the required infrastructure to replace oil as a transport fuel and enough EVs for everyone will all be in place within the next four-years... The EU will still be arguing over the proposed regulations in four years time.

Unless of course they mean sales of new iCE based cars, and even that is too aggressive as a phase out period in my view. As I’ve said before, there will still be a need for mineral oil based lubricants going forward and in some use-cases/areas of the world, there isn’t yet a viable alternative for iCE vehicles. Again, just my opinion.

Sorry, I did mean to say cars and not the fuel.

Nicola Sturgeon has just announced that Scotland will bring it forward to 2020. Never one to be outdone.

The transition from ICE to EV has to be as quick as possible.

As long as ICE if a viable, legal, and available option, people will have to be lured into buying expensive limited-range EVs by offering VED and BIK tax breaks.

The sooner we force EVs on the population, and remove ICE as a consumer option, the sooner the Chancellor can resume collecting taxes from motorists, and this will most likely also include some form of duty on electricity used to charge EVs, to replace fuel duty.

The risk of a protracted transition from ICE to EV is that it will be accompanied by a very long dip in revenue from motoring taxes, because the EV tax breaks will have to be maintained for as long as people can still choose a new ICE vehicle over an EV.

Per mile charging must be the future. Connected cars and connected roads will make that easy.
Sounds very feasible.

But whatever method of charging is on the cards... it can't be implemented while people can simply avoid buying an EV and buy an ICE car instead.

Hence the urgency to stop ICE car sales, possibly brought forward by the Coronavirus budget deficit.

Either way, it's not about pollution... it's about tax revenues.

Not that Thunberg won't be happy, mind..

The sooner we force EVs on the population, and remove ICE as a consumer option, the sooner the Chancellor can resume collecting taxes from motorists, and this will most likely also include some form of duty on electricity used to charge EVs, to replace fuel duty.
It would surely be impossible to differentiate methods of obtaining electricity - domestic v transport. Perhaps some individuals might resort to connecting crocodile clips to lamp posts...
Per mile charging must be the future. Connected cars and connected roads will make that easy.
Absolutely! And that will have the conspiracy theorists getting exercised over freedom of movement and tracking of movement.

What I do think is certain is that following any 2030 ban, prohibitive taxes will gradually be introduced for ICE-powered vehicles along with a mysterious increase in maintenance and spare parts costs (VAT?) and ever more rigorous MOT requirements.

I predict a great future for those able to disconnect connected cars and block connected roads connectivity.

Sounds as if those who currently filter the dye out of red fuel will simply have to retrain.

Sounds as if those who currently filter the dye out of red fuel will simply have to retrain.
Ahh yes you mean farmers. Very good.

When do we all get a vote then on these long planned sustainable development goals? Now that they are all out in the open and ever so urgent :D

What if the majority vote for politicians opposed to a transition to a so called green economy? Would we have to vote again until we vote correctly?

Sounds very feasible.

But whatever method of charging is on the cards... it can't be implemented while people can simply avoid buying an EV and buy an ICE car instead.
The conspiracy theorists will love this: you don’t need electric cars, or even connected cars, ANPR cameras collocated with 5g antennae on traffic lights and street lights along major routes is all that would be required.

The conspiracy theorists will love this: you don’t need electric cars, or even connected cars, ANPR cameras collocated with 5g antennae on traffic lights and street lights along major routes is all that would be required.
So what is the purpose of all the 5G antennae on traffic lights and street lights along major routes?

So what is the purpose of all the 5G antennae on traffic lights and street lights along major routes?
To provide complete coverage. High speed 5g has an even shorter range than current 5g, which has a shorter range than 4g, which has a shorter range than 3g, etc.

To provide complete coverage. High speed 5g has an even shorter range than current 5g, which has a shorter range than 4g, which has a shorter range than 3g, etc.
So all the essential works going on during lockdowns was to install thousands of those little antennae on the top of lamposts, traffic lights , bus stops etc etc throughout the UK. Council planning offices must have been busy approving that little lot during this health crisis.

So all the essential works going on during lockdowns was to install thousands of those little antennae on the top of lamposts, traffic lights , bus stops etc etc throughout the UK. Council planning offices must have been busy approving that little lot during this health crisis.

Well, in London at least, the purpose was the use-up large supplies of surplus white paint that was pilling-up at TfL warehouses. There's no other way to explain what they have done - the majority of roads had their layout changed at least twice since March, with the record going to a local junction that just had its fifth complete transformation in as many months.... :doh: even my Waze can't keep-up with the rate of change (yes you heard it right....).

I admit to having committed some driving offences due to not realising that the lane I was driving in last week is now a cycling lane (it was a bus lane the week before......).

No idea, I can’t say that I’ve seen that happening, and I have no idea what level of planning/approval is required.

.....5g antennae....

Screenshot-20201122-000554-Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom