New VED rules re 2nd hand purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

portzy

MB Enthusiast
Car
An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
Okay, this is the scenario. I have bought from a friend a Golf Plus and in turn he has bought a new Golf Match, the chronography goes like this;

He delivered the Plus to my home yesterday, Thursday, on his insurance and his tax and the car is now parked on my drive off the highway and the DVLA paperwork completed.

So he can collect his Match today, Friday, he arranged his insurance to commence at midnight on Thursday thus leaving the Plus un-insured and it will stay as such untill next week when I will insure it.

He attempted to SORN it because the insurance is now in-valid but DVLA's systems would not let him, presumably because it is still taxed per the DVLA records?. He phoned the DVLA and they said to wait until the log book has been processed:dk:

I'm assuming that I can insure it on Monday next week it but how do I, or can I in fact, tax a car that is still on DVLA'S record's as being taxed and, how can I sorn it in the meantime? because it's mine now and has no insurance.

Thank you.

I've been through this recently .

I'm not sure why the seller wasn't able to SORN the car , I did with my C270 , as did my partner with her Golf when we each disposed of them : declaring SORN effectively untaxes the vehicle so it should not be an issue - I did both online .

To save hassle , we effected both changeovers on the last day of the month , similarly delivering our old cars to the new owners on our existing tax/insurance .

In the case of my car , I had swapped the C270 for the SL , which had been dropped off at my mum's house a couple of nights earlier and , since I was also changing insurers , I started the new policy for it the day before I knew it was being dropped off , and only cancelled the C270 policy once I had delivered it . I then SORN'd the C270 online later that evening , and waited until after midnight ( the 1st of the new month ) before taxing the SL online , using the reference number from the new keeper supplement part of the V5 - there is an option within the online taxing process to tax a car as a new keeper , where it does not matter if the vehicle is already taxed .

The downside is that , if you do this at any point other than the end/start of a month then both parties end up paying duty for the whole of that month and the government end up collecting double revenue !

Similarly , with my partner's Golf - after her dad recently passed away , she inherited her dad's car and decided to give the Golf to my sister . She took out a temporary insurance policy on the new car to drive it home ( it was still taxed and the process for notifying a deceased owner and changing over took a little longer ) a few days before the end of the month , we delivered the Golf to my sister on the last night of the month before SORN-ing online , and insurance ending at midnight , then transferring over to the new car ( the temporary policy ending at the same time ) and I again taxed the new car online using the new keeper supplement .

For some reason , my sister had difficulty taxing the Golf online ( I think she was just doing something wrong - she had also changed her insurance over at midnight and this may have been the problem ; I had started my insurance on the SL a few days before taxing it , and I don't think Jan's dad's insurance had been cancelled at that point so both these cars would have shown insurance on the system at those times , but my sister's new Golf might not have registered with her insurance just starting at midnight - in any case , she was able to tax it at the post office in the morning .

In short , there should be nothing to stop you insuring your new car as soon as you get it ; the previous owner needs to SORN it , and you can tax it on the first of the month using the new keeper supplement ; if you want to tax it now , you can , but you will be paying retrospectively for all of this month , which the previous keeper has already paid for . SORN does break on transfer , but you only get a reminder if a car has been untaxed and not SORN'd for a full month , and then a penalty if you have not done anything about it after a further month beyond the reminder , so I wouldn't worry about a week or two .

Thanks Derek, It seems your situation(s) were far more convoluted than mine making mine pale into insignificance lol!

I've read and re-read your post and it seems that insurance is no problem, in fact I checked the "askmid" website last night and the Golf is showing as uninsured now so I can now go ahead on Monday and insure it.

As to tax, yes I trawled the DVLA website again after posting this and I can, if I want to, tax the golf with the new keeper supplement, (I didn't know that before), as soon as I insure it and it is showing as being insured per the "askmid". Having worked out the double tax element I'll be about £10 adrift and so will my friend due to the doube whammy element, the car needs a little bit of tlc and a few more odds and ends to tidy things up so I may as well hold off untill the 1st August.

DVLA rules eh?

Thank you again.

Re the insurance , there would be nothing to stop you insuring a car that is already insured elsewhere - it isn't in itself illegal .

Legitimate scenarios , as well as change of ownership , can include borrowing or hiring a car where the owner's insurance doesn't cover you , and taking out your own policy .

The only element that would be unlawful would be , in the event of a claim , trying to claim fully on both policies , which would be fraudulent - the correct thing under these circumstances is to notify both insurers and agree with them to either claim against only one policy or split the claim between them .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom