NOx - Understanding How Many Of Us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had a recall with regards to the software update, would this prevent the Nox issue, or are they not related.
It depends upon operating conditions, ranging from a loose leaking exhaust aft of the turbo, to DEF fluid not up to the the specific gravity in the tank, Cat plugged up with soot , excess DEF fluid crystalized in the the SCR Cat et al
If the difference isn't 75% best > 50ish % reduction across the SCR Cat then on comes the lights and many get the Oh me Gawd wobbly knees syndrome and thoughts of a wallet flush .
Overall I call the system Blurtech from MB, and they have been dicking about with it for more than 10 years.

And I/We have been repairing it as well for the just same amount of time AND is a good shop revenue earner but got much better of late .
Oh Lord let there be another debacle like this MB and this time I won't pi$$ it away.
But there was !
It was called Landrover Flandie V6. Oh luverly money!
That bloody thing financed my eldest daughter through Bio Med school @ Georgetown U & Surgery & pediatrics @ UMTB in Galveston ! 👍
Tuercas viejas

So. After putting my chassis number into the Mercedes website, which said that I need a software update, my mercedes dealer said that my car does not require an update.

Furthermore, my car's adbule counter is on, as is the engine light, however, when I put the obd2 reader on, there are no fault codes !!!!!!

Any ideas or suggestions?

So. After putting my chassis number into the Mercedes website, which said that I need a software update, my mercedes dealer said that my car does not require an update.

Furthermore, my car's adbule counter is on, as is the engine light, however, when I put the obd2 reader on, there are no fault codes !!!!!!

Well most likely your OBDs code reader can't read the faults..
If MB states your can need an update press the dealership on why it doesn't OR consult another dealer for a second opinion.
Tuercas viejas

Contacted MB UK HQ today, and waiting for a call back from the dept ( yes, they have a dept) that deals with emission complaints

My car, 2012 ML350 55k miles, is going in today with the Check AdBlue message, engine warning light and countdown to not starting. It had the software update about 5k miles ago, no idea if it is related. Bizarrely, although I have not driven it much since the warning started the fuel economy seems to be improved AND the start stop goes green far more often. I would have thought the start stop would be disabled by a warning light (every other characteristic of the car seems to turn it off).
Fingers crossed they know what they are doing with it and that it is covered by approved used warranty.

My car, 2012 ML350 55k miles, is going in today with the Check AdBlue message, engine warning light and countdown to not starting. It had the software update about 5k miles ago, no idea if it is related. Bizarrely, although I have not driven it much since the warning started the fuel economy seems to be improved AND the start stop goes green far more often. I would have thought the start stop would be disabled by a warning light (every other characteristic of the car seems to turn it off).
Fingers crossed they know what they are doing with it and that it is covered by approved used warranty.
Just picked the car up. Two new NOx sensors installed under warranty (no idea if they would have done it as goodwill if the warranty wasn't there)

An update on my Adblue countdown.

With the counter showing 398 miles, I had to drive to Stoke last weekend to snap a football match. I did think about hiring another car but thought the run may do mine good. Low and behold, it did. The counter said I had 240 miles to go before shutdown when I got to Stoke. After the game, I got into the car and the counter, plus its trusty sidekick, the EML, had both vanished.

Since driving back they have both stayed off.

Don't remember if I wrote anything in this thread but I had to have 2 sensors replaced last year. Not inexpenceive. The car, E350CGI Petrol had some 110,000 kms on the clock and I had been driving short distances so... Anyway, I learned one interesting thing that may be of use:

When starting a cold car, condensated water gathers in the exhaust system. I was informed that this water, if the driver drives "active" when the system is still cold, ends up right on the NOx sensors (heated) and may destroy them. MB knows about this and the remedy is to drill a small hole, ~ 3mm dia in the exhaust system at the lowest possible point to ensure that the water drips out until the entire system is so heated up that no further build-up occurrs.

Yesterday I took the car for a 10km drive. Then drilled two 3 mm holes at the lowest point on the REAR mufflers (just behind the rear wheels). In spite of the engine and the rest of the exhaust system being hot to the touch, the rear mufflers was still cold. When the drill penetrated the steel, some 1/2 dl of water poured out on each side. When driving away from the service point, stopping after 5 meters, another 1/2 dl of water came out. Then stopping at a recycling station to dispose of some waste, poodles formed underneeth the holes. Even in front of my garage waiting for the door to open, I could see drips of water...

It is funny in so much that that it is reputed that MB drill these holes also. Will have a look the next time my car is on a ramp.

For the last two to three years, every time my 2014 E350 has gone in for a service/MOT its had the NOx sensors replaced (currently on 85k). This year, they couldn't even get the sensor out, so just replaced that part of the exhaust and sensor! I was advised by the garage that this was a diesel issue, yet my wife's 2016 E400 (3.5l) (44k on the clock) is currently in the garage also having them replaced; which I am sure is for the second time now since ownership (almost three years).

Certainly the person I spoke to about my car knew it was a common fault on Mercedes and BMW's. When I took my wife's car in today I told the guy it was likely to be a NOx issue, but he seemed surprised.

Both cars are under extended warranty so I have never been asked to pay.

My Vito 2016 119 auto is in at the moment adblue warning yellow engine management light on MB Want £ 500 to fix but the parts are on back order they have had it for a week

Got the same problem with my 15 plate ML250. Took my car to Chesea MB for diagnosis and replacement of 2 Nox with upgrade(previous software updated done before and not sure what this update is for?) asked for almost 1000 pounds. Telling me no warranty over warranty. Obviously, it is a known and design issue and anyway we can request MB to recall it? Saw some legal firm ads like

Join the Mercedes-Benz emissions claim today by Leigh Day.​

Anyone tried it and are they really helpful?

Regards,

Saw some legal firm ads like

Join the Mercedes-Benz emissions claim today by Leigh Day.​

Anyone tried it and are they really helpful?

I actually have 4 cars that "could" qualify if ever I decide to join one of the many claim agents - MB are really testing my patience recently.

Thank you for that. I just checked and it says that my car is effected and that the status is open.

Mine to, just checked as a result of reading a post on this thread, many thanks to that member, if I find the post I will mention their name 👍 Yes mine is effected, and Status Open.

I‘m just interested to know that if I get the Diesel update, will that bring my upstream NOX sensor back in line as I have the management light on, also just had the car read by Xentry and it’s gives fault code for Upstream NOX.

Feedback appreciated 😀

I actually have 4 cars that "could" qualify if ever I decide to join one of the many claim agents - MB are really testing my patience recently.

Yes T5R+ Mercedes do not give a stuff about their customers, my car was purchased from a dealer and was FMBSH, my Upstream NOX sensor was and is showing a fault, Mercedes wouldn’t cover the cost or offer any goodwill towards the payment, I was so angry about this I called Mercedes Benz MK, but they weren’t interested.

TBH my experience and treatment on many occasions from Mercedes local and not local has been appalling on many occasions, Mercedes Salisbury being the most disgusting.

I will also be joining the litigation suit against Mercedes, I share your frustration, Mercedes finished testing my patience along time ago 😡

My Advice to any Mercedes Owner is find yourself a good trustworthy independent who deserves your business, don’t be fooled or lied to into giving your hard earned money to Mercedes Stealerships, oh and this wasn’t a type o…

My first impression, don’t automatically believe or trust the Stealership, definitely get a second opinion, even should I say it try another Mercedes dealer, not all of them are unhelpful or underhand 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom