NTG 3.5 V11 Map Update via Download Link

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slartibartfast

SUPPORTER
Car
W221 S350L, R231 SL350, SL400
I have a 2011 S Class W221 which has Comand NTG 3.5. The map version is currently V8 (2012) and I'm thinking of upgrading to V11 (2015), which was the final version available for this model. Obviously this will still be out of date - but more up to date than what's running at the moment. I'm not prepared to spend around £200 for the DVD's and PIN for an out of date upgrade, but there is a "Download link and PIN code" available for 80 Euro (£67) from an ebay seller (feedback = 4,812 95.1%)

Has anyone had success with updating their NTG 3.5 with a downloaded file? I did think that the only way to do this was with the set of 3 DVDs.

Many thanks.

I have a 2011 S Class W221 which has Comand NTG 3.5. The map version is currently V8 (2012) and I'm thinking of upgrading to V11 (2015), which was the final version available for this model. Obviously this will still be out of date - but more up to date than what's running at the moment. I'm not prepared to spend around £200 for the DVD's and PIN for an out of date upgrade, but there is a "Download link and PIN code" available for 80 Euro (£67) from an ebay seller (feedback = 4,812 95.1%)

Has anyone had success with updating their NTG 3.5 with a downloaded file? I did think that the only way to do this was with the set of 3 DVDs.

Many thanks.
Pirated software.

NTG3.5 is designed to be updated from DVD. If there is a read error during the update you can get in big trouble, and a new NTG3.5 unit is very expensive. Copy DVDs reflect light much worse than "printed" DVDs, so you increase the risk of a read-error etc etc - we've dealt with loads of written off NTG4, NTG4,5 units where the ropey seller insisted they had never had a problem. Mercedes have never supported updating from the SD-Card slot, although someone may have figured out how to do that on NTG3.5 - but Mercedes did not intend (i.e test fully) that.

Now, in reality, V11 is the last version, so you will never have to buy another - I suggest you at least buy a genuine update, you can always sell the DVD set on eBay later !!

NTG3.5 is designed to be updated from DVD. If there is a read error during the update you can get in big trouble, and a new NTG3.5 unit is very expensive. Copy DVDs reflect light much worse than "printed" DVDs, so you increase the risk of a read-error etc etc - we've dealt with loads of written off NTG4, NTG4,5 units where the ropey seller insisted they had never had a problem. Mercedes have never supported updating from the SD-Card slot, although someone may have figured out how to do that on NTG3.5 - but Mercedes did not intend (i.e test fully) that.

Now, in reality, V11 is the last version, so you will never have to buy another - I suggest you at least buy a genuine update, you can always sell the DVD set on eBay later !!
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't want to chance writing off my comand unit. Spending around £200 for an update that is 7 years out of date is not really worth it. I'll pass on this and just use Waze on my mobile as back up.

Cheers!

Are you sure? I thought that the PIN code was VIN specific so would be genuine. If it is pirated, I wouldn't want do it. Thanks

Hackers will have software that can generate working PIN numbers for any VIN. These PINs aren't generated by Mercedes Benz, and won't show on the MB central computer. But they do work on the car. The copied DVD are obviously also a concern as others pointed-out. Not passing judgement on any particular online sellers, but just to say that these things exist and buying cheap online carries a risk.

Hackers will have software that can generate working PIN numbers for any VIN. These PINs aren't generated by Mercedes Benz, and won't show on the MB central computer. But they do work on the car. The copied DVD are obviously also a concern as others pointed-out. Not passing judgement on any particular online sellers, but just to say that these things exist and buying cheap online carries a risk.
Cheers. I'm gonna leave as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom