NTL Help !!! - quickish question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WLeg

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB GLC250
OK... I work in IT... but try to stay away from home stuff....

However...I've been asked by a friend to sort out some wireless networking, for their NTL connection.

They currently have one Mac connected to the NTL box via ethernet. They want the Mac + 2 Intel laptops to be connected.

I seem to recall that NTL are a pain in the whotsit about this, and require the wireless box to clone the host PC's MAC address ?

Are there any proud NTL users out there who can clarify or deny this ??

Also, other than Linksys, what are my options on Access points that can clone, if necessary ?

WLeg said:
proud NTL users

Is that possible???

Worse company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with :mad:

Do you know if they are using the Set Top Box (STB) to connect or if they got a seperate modem.

if a seperate modem you can buy a wireless router, like a linksys (which is what i had) and using a single machine set up the access. I seem to recall that the modem itself has its own Mac address, which is used to create the connection then the wireless router shares it.

STB is another thing which I luckily didn't have to get into.

Shouldn't be too difficult but you might need to remember passwords etc.

sparkyspost said:
Do you know if they are using the Set Top Box (STB) to connect or if they got a seperate modem.

if a seperate modem you can buy a wireless router, like a linksys (which is what i had) and using a single machine set up the access. I seem to recall that the modem itself has its own Mac address, which is used to create the connection then the wireless router shares it.

STB is another thing which I luckily didn't have to get into.

Shouldn't be too difficult but you might need to remember passwords etc.

But it's no different;) connection goes into the STB as if it were a modem and then comes out into the router. It's what I have - all wireless ;) And there's no cloning - I'm to dense to do that:D And others have very successfully logged into my connection via their lap tops - haven't they Fuzzer :rolleyes: :D

WLeg said:
OK... I work in IT... but try to stay away from home stuff....

However...I've been asked by a friend to sort out some wireless networking, for their NTL connection.

They currently have one Mac connected to the NTL box via ethernet. They want the Mac + 2 Intel laptops to be connected.

I seem to recall that NTL are a pain in the whotsit about this, and require the wireless box to clone the host PC's MAC address ?

Are there any proud NTL users out there who can clarify or deny this ??

Also, other than Linksys, what are my options on Access points that can clone, if necessary ?

All I know is that the two previous years I've had NTL, all I've had to do is plug the wireless router into the ethernet port on the back of the cable modem and voila, job done. No trickery or mucking about.

NTL will only offer detailed technical support on systems containing one standalone PC or Macintosh. They do not support Local area Networks or any other extension of the single computer system in using our services.
While we cannot help you directly with this, I would recommend you consult our newsgroups where you may be able to seek help from other ntl: users. The newsgroups relating to this are :-
ntl.support.cablemodems
ntl.discussion.cablemodems
ntl.feedback.cablemodems
You can use Outlook Express to read newsgroups by following these steps:
1. In Outlook Express, click on 'Tools' > 'Accounts' > 'Add' > 'News'. This will launch the 'new account' Wizard, which guides you through creating a newsgroup account on your PC. Enter your name and email address when prompted, and the news server name:
news.cable.ntl.com
The news server does not require you to log on.
2. When you finish the Wizard, you should see a message 'Would you like to download newsgroups from the server you added?' Please click 'Yes'. A list of available newsgroups will be downloaded. The first time you do this, the download can take some minutes.
3. When the download is complete, in the 'Display newsgroups which contain' box, type 'ntl.' Scroll down the list and you will see a number of newsgroups listed. To subscribe to a newsgroup, highlight it on the list and click the 'subscribe' button. The ntl.announce newsgroup is used to advise our users of any problems with the service, and to impart other important information. In the ntl.discussion.* groups, you can request help from other ntl: users.
4. When you have selected the groups you wish to join, click 'OK'. A list of the groups you have subscribed to will appear on the left of your screen. Double click a newsgroup name to view the messages within it. You can reply to messages or post a new message in a similar way to sending an email.
The following may also be of use regarding networking in general, but are not specifically related to NTL connections:
http://www.homepcnetwork.com
http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/beginnersguides/
I hope the above answers your query, however, should you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me again.
Regards

Clive Alexander

I had a mac powerbook and my pc connected wirelessly, plus another laptop connected via ethernet on the linksys router.

No cloning required, as they only require the address of the modem. All you should need to do is enter the connection details in the router, and if I remember correctly, just need connection details on one of the computers.

Ok... The only thing you need is a Wireless router that has it's own DHCP server, and NAT capability as NTL will only issue you with one IP address (like most ADSL providers).

Some brands of wireless (like 3Com) do not have DHCP, Linksys do....You can use a 3Com if their is only 1 machine to be connected..

NTL / Telewest

I've had the same problem while ago. They want to register the mac address of the network card of the unit that connects to their modem. If you connect the unit with different mac address the system doesn't work anymore. The simplest way is to get out of them what mac address is they think should be connected and punch that number in instead of default / real mac address of your router. All routers that I've dealth with have the option for this.

Regards Voya.

WLeg said:
Ok... The only thing you need is a Wireless router that has it's own DHCP server, and NAT capability as NTL will only issue you with one IP address (like most ADSL providers).

Some brands of wireless (like 3Com) do not have DHCP, Linksys do....You can use a 3Com if their is only 1 machine to be connected..

I never had a 3com wireless that doesnt have DHCP server built in. Also DHCP is used only to auto assign ip/dns stuff to clients. Even if the unit doesn't have DHCP and has NAT (network-address-translation) you can connect as many hosts as you want.

Regards Voya

I'm with Telewest and run a wireless router. With cable TV, apparently, you cannot use any router you must use a cable router:confused: I listen to what they said and it all works. I am using a Belkin, run off the modem via ether cables. I have then connected my PC to the router with another cable and my daughter and son run their pc's wirelessly. The "server" pc can control passwords to access the network etc.

My Previous post was a bit misleading... should have read " The only thing you need is a Wireless Access Point that has it's own DHCP server"

All 3com routers have DHCP.

None of the Wireless Access Points do, as they work on the priniciple that you wil have DHCP on your wired LAN.

(otherwise known as "It's a business product so why would you use it on a home nework with Cable modems." )

Which a fair enough, I suppose....

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3CRWE454A72

Last edited:
I see

Never used one of those, but that does make sense. Still if you do have NAT on that machine (which hopefully you do) you should still be able to connect as many hosts as you want (<254).

Regards Voya aka buy-3com-routers-from-me-at-excellent-customer-service-included prices :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom