Help required networking a LAN printer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In either case you need to assign the IP address on the printer:

Simplest way is to do it via the control panel.
You should be able to setup the WiFi settings from within the printer too (as opposed to using any other software)

To do what you've described (i.e. access the printer using a web-browser to configure), you should really connect your printer to your router (assuming it acts as a switch / hub too). This will then allow your laptop to see the printer correctly and allow you to configure the settings you would need.

Here is what I don't understand - I have a printer that has it's own stand alone wireless capabilities, why do I have to connect it to my router?

The IP has been set (on the printer via the laptop via the ethernet cable) once set it prints out a data sheet - attached.

Does this make more sense?

scan0001.jpg

Only the laptop is connected to the router (wireless).

The printer is stand alone and connected to the laptop directly with a Cat 5e cable.

I'm not sure - but I'd be surprised if you can do both of those (a wired and a wireless connection from the laptop) at once.

I'm not sure - but I'd be surprised if you can do both of those (a wired and a wireless connection from the laptop) at once.

I don't want them both at once. I need to connect the printer via a cable to enable me to access the software (via a browser) to turn on the wireless settings. I cannot access all the setting required via the control panel on the printer itself.

I then disconnect the wired connection and run it on wireless once I've set it up.

Even the manual states - connect it via a wired network, turn on the wireless pull out the ethernet cable and print a test page.

Arrrrgghhh this is driving me nuts it should be so straightforward.

Are you plugging it in to the router yet? I can't ever see you getting this to work with a direct link to the laptop?

Are you plugging it in to the router yet? I can't ever see you getting this to work with a direct link to the laptop?

+1

Can't you do this just for the initial setup?

Unfortunately I can't see the link you've posted as we're blocked from photo / file sharing sites here.

As already mentioned you need to plug the printer directly into the router, it won't work being plugged into the laptop unless you use a crossover cable.

When you have plugged the printer into the router see if you can access it's web interface in a browser.

If not open up a command prompt and type in:
ping -t 192.168.1.3

to see if you can talk to it.

This is the problem with an idiot trying to connect bits up to computers.

I'll connect it to the router a little later and report how that goes.

Do bear in mind that its highly likely that the printer will not be assigned the same static IP address by default. Although you've told the printer that it has an address the Post Office (i.e. Router), does not know this so will issue its own.

I would suggest that your best using the control panel on the printer to set the IP back to dynamic - it will then grab it from the router.

When everything is plugged in select start and run, then type ipconfig
The gateway address will be your router address. Type this into a browser window then login. Usually on the DCHP there will be a table, which will tell you which IP address the printer has been assigned. (you should be able to assign a static IP from here, but it's not really worth the effort for a temporary connection).
Put this IP address in the browser which will take you to the login page.

On my Netgear router, in the LANIP setup pane, I include the ip address and MAC address of my Xerox (aka Samsung) ethernet printer.

Given that I already have my printer setup on my computer, when I then print wirelessly it works first time, every time.

I'm in.

See if I'd just listened and connected it directly to the router to start with I'd have saved about 5 hours of hair pulling.

I have no doubt I'll be back in 10 minutes for the next set of how do I's?

Thank you so far.

On my Netgear router, in the LANIP setup pane, I include the ip address and MAC address of my Xerox (aka Samsung) ethernet printer.

Given that I already have my printer setup on my computer, when I then print wirelessly it works first time, every time.

I think I need to do this.

However, knowing I need to do it and being able to do it are two completely different things.

router.jpg

Note the numbers in Yellow and Blue. You need to pic an IP address that is not assigned automatically. So in the example below the range from 192.16.8.1.100 to 192.168.1.49 is to be avoided.

Log on to the printer, and set the IP back to static. Enter the IP address eg 192.168.1.99, the subnet - probably 255.255.255.0 and the gateway (Router IP in Yellow). Re start everything and you should be good to go.

Then log back in, using the new static IP, and enter your wireless settings.

^ Done above thank you.

That screen shot replicated my settings exactly. So I set the static ip to 192.168.1.99

At this point before I try anything further I have no software installed for this printer other then the USB software that windows organised itself.

Should I not be downloading something from Samsung to operate this printer as Network printer?

Support - Black and White Laser Printers ML-2152W | Samsung Printers

In my experience when you have installed a driver it will work any which way.

Try the add printer wizard and see what happens. (select Network printer this time though). Are you on WiFi yet?

Running the printer wizard - it didn't find it itself but I've run through and provided the IP address - it's now asking for more information about the network card installed.

I think it's a Xerox in the Samsung - but there are so many options I don't know which one to pick.

EDIT - I worked this out and have just printed a page via the wired network.

Last edited:
This is the page I'm faced with when I log into the printer IP and choose the wireless option.

Wirelesssettings.png

OK, I'm now printing via a wired network.

I can see the printer is broadcasting a wireless signal as I've found it via the wireless manager.

I guess I need to change a few settings now to be able to print wirelessly?

All this help is really appreciated - thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom