oil change, suction or drop it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lancebond

Car
S203 C220 CDI
i'm about to change the oil on my car, not having access to a decent ramp has lead me to consider using the suction method.

has anyone done this? i know it's possible... and i've seen a few pumps that'll do it but i've never tried it.

seems to me that it takes alot of effort out of the whole oil change though.

Drain it the proper way, otherwise deposits will build up in the sump.

Either way.

If you have a pump so much the easier. Warm the engine first. No more reason for deposits being left behind than by draining it through the bottom.

Mercedes main dealers suck it.

Do you have proof of this?

99% of MB's are sucked out and this has been the norm now for about 15 years.

It's just a theory I have, suck it out if you want. I cant prove it is better to drain it by the sump plug but think of it like this:

If you take sugar in your mug of tea, you will notice when you drink the last of it, the sugar left in the bottom of the mug is carried along with the last of your tea when you tip the mug up. Now try drinking it through a straw, the sugar dosent move and stays at the bottom of the mug.

Same as the oil flowing out of the sump plug will carry any deposits along with it, but that is just my theory. :dk:

i asked my local MB dealership, they suck it out.. my local indy drops it.

although thats simply because he can drop it and go and do something else while the oil is dropping, he doesn't like leaving a machine running if he's not there (had a big fire a few years back)

my local MB indy also drops it, but thats just his preference.

i'm going to try the suction method.. it seems easier and cleaner and also means i don't have to take the guard off the bottom of the car.

I pump out with a Sealey pump. If you are going to buy one, buy a 9ltr one which will hold all the extracted oil. No point buying a 6ltr one, you'll have to empty it mid-operation.

As Olly says, MB pump out, and I know the BMW have done the same for at least 20, years.

Get the oil warm (not boiling) perhaps go for a 5 mile run and then wait 10-15 minutes. Pump out the oil and the return after 15-20 minutes to pump out what has run down the sump walls.
Also when removing the oil filter you'll be able to draw out some from the chamber (2, holes).

My oil stays cleaner for longer after pumping out because I suspect I get more of the old stuff out, and also the oil is changed every 4-5k miles. I don't think I'd change the oil as often if I was draining it, too messy.

LINK to Sealey 9ltr pump. I think I paid around £65 for my 9ltr pump.

Last edited:
It's just a theory I have, suck it out if you want. I cant prove it is better to drain it by the sump plug but think of it like this:

If you take sugar in your mug of tea, you will notice when you drink the last of it, the sugar left in the bottom of the mug is carried along with the last of your tea when you tip the mug up. Now try drinking it through a straw, the sugar dosent move and stays at the bottom of the mug.

Same as the oil flowing out of the sump plug will carry any deposits along with it, but that is just my theory. :dk:

Ah, but, if you drilled a hole in the bottom of the cup, would the sugar flow out? That would be a more meaningful experiment.

They are designed for sucking ;-)
A little gradient ( pointing up the slope) helps as well if you're sucking out of the dipstick... (can tell because the dipstick reads higher that way)

Totally agree and am in favour for the suction method.. I have used this method on my cars over the last 10 years or so..
The sugar in a cup is a bad analogy.. If your tea tastes sweet at the end its because you haven't stirred it thoroughly!
The engine oil is stirred extremely thoroughly and not just for thirty seconds!

I change my engine oil and filter at half the "recommended" intervals so that typically means every 6,500 - 7,000 miles.
There is one more big advantage you get from using this device..When I have removed the oil filter there is a pool of dirty oil in the bottom of the oil filter housing. I use the end of the tube to literally vacuum this out.. This half cupful of oil would NOT normally be removed.
I once chatted to a BMW service manager off the record about the suction device. He said "They are brilliant...Between you and I we use a suction device when we service our cars"..Yes you read this correctly...BMW use this method.

On my original post when I sung this devices praise, I got lots of negativity about " How can you be sure it gets all the oil out" etc, etc.
I had to laugh because this was from owners that were happy to trust the manufacturers recommendation of leaving oil in the engine for 15,000 miles.. As far as I am concerned, even if I only remove 95% but I change it twice as often as recommended then I am on the right track.

These devices have yet another useful function...
When changing ATF fluid suck the fluid out through the ATF dipstick tube.. Why do this?
So that when you remove the sump you don't get drowned in old ATF.. The design of the sump is such that draining via the sump plug leaves over a liter in the base of the sump pan..
My Pela unit is the best car accessory i have ever bought.:D

Must admit I have been considering doing this. I think 15,000 miles is much too long a service interval for an oil change.

My only worry is the filter. I have no idea how one would change it on a CLS or any other car. Any thoughts ? Is it vital to change it ?

Must admit I have been considering doing this. I think 15,000 miles is much too long a service interval for an oil change.

My only worry is the filter. I have no idea how one would change it on a CLS or any other car. Any thoughts ? Is it vital to change it ?

76mm cup wrench. £5 from Halfords.
Unscrew, insert filter and retighten to 25nm.

So sucking it is....... a pity really, after spending all week sucking up to clients. Interesting thread; useful information. Thanks for raising the subject

This thread points at a couple of links; depending what size the filter cover is...

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/111049-w211-oil-filter-removal-tool.html

I would always drop the oil out, I just think its better letting all the stuff on the bottom drain out for ten minutes. Sucking out would be easier though and probably less messy and so better health and safety wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom