• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

oil cooler mod for e55

f17rak

Car
E55k tanzanite blue
Hi guys. Iv recently purchashed an e55, iv been reading about the valeo rad issue. I want to fit an external oil cooler. Was wondering will this be sufficient?

UNIVERSAL 16 ROW ENGINE OIL COOLER KIT NEW | eBay

as its local to me i can pick it up. Does it need to be bigger, smaller, will i need more oil in the transmission? Etc

cheers

Where are you looking to mount it, in front of the radiator?

The ones I have seen who mount in front of the radiator are typically larger (but also thinner) than that

more like 280 x 180 x 19 mm

Ok, i see your point. I will look for a thinner one, or i might just take a trip down and see if they got anything more suitable.

That type is for a spin on oil filter, not the paper type you have.

Ok that makes sense

You need a transmission oil cooler kit, not an engine oil cooler kit. There's bits you don't need in the kit you linked to.

..............middle name Bar?

Ken Bar Lowe?? :p

Never mind.................................. :rolleyes:

Before you purchase anything have your fluid tested for glycol.

But what does it matter if i get the cooler fitted? Isnt it better to be safe?

f17rak said:
But what does it matter if i get the cooler fitted? Isnt it better to be safe?

If you want to be on the safe side you can't be much safer than checking that you don't have contamination before you split the system.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Im confused, never mind

Im confused, never mind

[FONT=&quot]Are you adding the cooler to separate the transmission cooling from the radiator to be sure that you don’t end up with the Valeo issue from that era where the transmission oil becomes contaminated?

If you are then it would be wise to check that the transmission is not already contaminated.[/FONT]

What do you mean by service? I thought the issue was that the glycol from the engine coolant mixes with the gearbox oil and then attacks the torque converter. Just changing the oil will not stop the breakdown if it has already started.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

flush time, then if it plays up... new gearbox... if its working fine now it should be fine, but get it tested before adding a oil cooler

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom