• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Oil inside the wiring loom on a 2000 CLK

mcsailing

I did not know if anyone has come across this someone i know took their CLK 230 into a main dealer because a warning light came on
They have advised that oil has got into the wiring loom and as a result they will have to replace the loom and do something else which will prevent it happening again
This last comment indicates to me that this could be a known problem with this model and it is going to cost in XS of 2k to put right
Has anyone one across this before
Look forward to hearing
Mike

It's a common fault due to oil migrating via the camshaft actuator.
There is a modified loom connector to stop this happening.
The ECU may well be salvagable though.

Do a search on here for threads.

Yes car will need a new harness and seal, but the ECU can be washed OK.
MB only replace the ECU,just in case. So you can divide that figure by 3

where can you find info on the modified looms? Im looking for the same thing for a CL600.. we have washed the ECU out twice now, it takes only a few weeks for the oil to gather again... dealers didnt seem to know much about it.,.

Jay.
Until you can get he loom why not just seperate the wires in the loom with spacers and cut the insulation back a bit.
If there is no path for the oil to travel it can't, but it will drip.

Jay.
Until you can get he loom why not just seperate the wires in the loom with spacers and cut the insulation back a bit.
If there is no path for the oil to travel it can't, but it will drip.

If you bend the wires with a V at the bottom, you can put a cup under the V to catch the oil and put it back where it came from :crazy:;)

I have had the same problem on a C180 Coupe. It has been in once to MB and repaired under warranty (just!) and they told me it would have cost about £1700. Since then the management warning light has come on and the O2 sensor has been replaced (again) and now the engine management light is on again.

Is it time I bought something else??!!

This is also an issue for the gearbox ECU and loom - ATF leaks through the pins in the socket on some 722.6 transmissions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom